• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, I think the jacket looks like it fits pretty nicely. It's tougher to tell with the pants in the dark color in a photo. They don't "hang" like more traditional suit pants, look like more of a jeans fit, but that certainly isn't outside the more modern look, so it's based on what you want. Personally, I think if you get the pant legs tweaked correctly (I prefer the shorter leg in that more modern look, can't recall which leg on yours) you have a nice fitting modern look suit. The pants are far from "traditional" for a suit so don't worry about the shorter jacket - it still fits with the pants for the modern look.

I think the bottom line is, did you order a modern look for the suit? If so, that's what you have and hopefully what you still want. Some love that look some hate it, so the fact that I prefer a much loser fit pants and a larger overall jacket isn't material here. Maybe I'm jealous that I'm too old and frumpy to look good in a suit like that, who knows. It's a good pretty looking suit for what it is, IMO.

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I did order for a more modern look, the majority of my current suits are very conservative in color and fit accordingly.

With this make, I strayed to a more unconventional color and cut, but the first attempt at the pants were simply too tight. I feel better about the pants now, but many people commented the jacket was still too short, but I do many people with that length on the modern fits.

chrispy650

Reaction score
Hi, these aren't the best pictures but I was wondering if this jacket fits my shoulders ok or if anything else should be done for a better fit. Not sure if the sleeves look like that because they got caught on the shirt or if it's with the fit.

AL FINK

Reaction score
I got a question regarding shirts... How should a shirt fit at the hip when tucked? How much room should it be? I'm asking this because I'm having some of my shirt darted and wouldn't want the tailor make the waist-hip too tight.

Last edited:

CraigC

Reaction score
Hi,
Recently tried on this block at a mtm tailor. can it work?
4842aaf391fdf507293d11cee3bceff0.jpg

Freqtraveler

Reaction score
Newbie to the site, would love any feedback on this suit. Pant length may need to be shortened, plus I prefer a little more room in the legs.

Thanks.

NeedForTweed123

Reaction score

I thrifted this Polo seersucker jacket. It's a medium, and my size is generally a medium in sportjackets (40 in. Chest) yet this is really long and has no shape to it and just hangs like a lab coat. Thoughts/advice/opinions?

Last edited:

HughJ

Reaction score
I actually thought it was a lab coat at first glance! Not a tailor, but the prognosis will be poor even with a significant investment in alterations. Maybe you can flip it?

NeedForTweed123

Reaction score

I actually thought it was a lab coat at first glance! Not a tailor, but the prognosis will be poor even with a significant investment in alterations. Maybe you can flip it?

Yeah it definitely did not cost enough to warrant extensive alterations. If nothing can be done, I'll probably try to resell. I just wanted to get a prognosis before I do anything. I have no idea why it's so insanely long. It's over a inch longer than my long jackets.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thrifted this Polo seersucker jacket. It's a medium, and my size is generally a medium in sportjackets (40 in. Chest) yet this is really long and has no shape to it and just hangs like a lab coat. Thoughts/advice/opinions?

This is a keeper only if you plan on changing your career path and using it as a painter's smock.

totolino85

Reaction score

it's weird that it's so long given the shoulders fits you perfectly !

defenetly re-sell it ... notthing you can do about the lenght

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any tailors care to comment?
What the heck do you want us to say? A picture just from the back doesn't really tell any sort of real story. It looks like the shoulders are half decent, but you need to see front and back in order to even start to say if it looks okay.

Last edited:

NeedForTweed123

Reaction score

it's weird that it's so long given the shoulders fits you perfectly !

defenetly re-sell it ... notthing you can do about the lenght

Exactly. If the jacket was a normal length it wouldn't hang so much. The shoulders, chest, and waist are all spot on. It's the length that makes it bag.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads