• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

NeedStyleHelp

Reaction score
all clear for take-off!

Roger that, proceeding to runway Delta.
Over

That's a dupe, control tower. Disregard.
Over

I see what you did there: cheeky!

Better?
worship.gif

Garasaki

Reaction score
Re: deparachuting pants

Ballpark cost: 10 bucks, 50 bucks, 100 bucks, 200 bucks?

For those who might be wondering, took them down to local tailor, a block from my office. Little old lady with russian accent who said she's been doing this her whole life. Some degree of communication problem but very pleasant.

She wasn't real optimistic about messing with the actual legs but she is going to take in the crotch and shorten a bit.

Charge is about 10 bucks per alteration. Seems very reasonable, and I'm very interested in seeing the end result.

mixProtocol

Reaction score
I'm going to a casual outdoor wedding next month and am hoping to alter this suit for that. I lost some weight since I last wore this, so I'm trying to determine whether I can get it altered to fit. When I bought the suit a while ago, the tailor did some work on center seam between the shoulder blades to take it in a bit.

I know I need to either shorten the coat's sleeves or wear a longer shirt (the one in the pictures is a 16.5/32). I'm guessing I need to have the sides of the coat taken in and the pants shortened a bit. I'm wondering if they should be tapered too (they're perma-creased, if that matters).

I see the shirt is off-center in the first image- it just twisted when I was taking the pictures.

Thanks in advance....

Last edited:

johnjohn2

Reaction score
Hi all,

I followed this forum already for some time, but now I want to ask your feedback on the fit of this suit. Do you think it looks good?

My own opinion is that I want a somewhat more slim fit for the trousers (and maybe slightly longer), and the jacket a little bit shorter. Do you think this is a good direction?

ptg2XTyl.jpg
mtSbRFTl.jpg
HYKJi0Tl.jpg
klPtvuwl.jpg
uchc1bAl.jpg
vka7zz1l.jpg

Last edited:

AdamWill

Reaction score
amateur opinion alert! - wait for otctailor, but...that looks pretty bad, to me. jacket's too small up top, there's other weird stuff going on with the shoulders, the arms are too short, back of the pants is sagging...there are a lot of fit problems there before you start even thinking about fiddling with the cut. you might just want to try a different suit.

guyute82

Reaction score
First Black Lapel suit. Excellent construction and details. Fit has some issues though. Keep in mind I am 6' and 148lbs.

What are people's impressions of fit, and of my alterations? I know this one needs work - see my comments below.

My thoughts on what's needed:

Jacket
Shoulders - Minus .75 inches (right now they hang over my natural shoulders a decent amount - see exaggerated "V" shape in the shot from behind)
Chest - Minus .5 inches (back shot shows billowing)
Waist - Plus .75 inches (right now it's much too supressed)
Hips - Plus .5 inches
Sleeves - Minus .5 inches (right now I show no cuff on a shirt I consider well fitting)

Pants
Length - Plus .75 inches
Waist - Plus 1 inch (much too tight)
Rise - Plus .75 inches (too tight in the seat)

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like the others, trying internet MTM. I see a balance issue due to my erect posture and a need to lengthen the front. I also now realize that the reason it is hugging my hips like that is that I left the basting threads intact on the vents.
shog[1].gif

The shoulders feel pretty good and I like how the lapels are lying, but the jacket is too lose on my sides. I have space between my rib cage and the jacket under my arms. Does this indicate that the chest/back or the shoulders should be brought in?

Any suggestions on alterations are appreciated.

Enthusiasm

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen! I just purchased a new suit, perhaps you could advice me as to any necessary alterations? The lighting is not perfect, my apologies for that, but hopefully you can see what you need. For reference, I'm 183,5cm, at barely 70kg. Thanks!

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi tailors!

Need your help again. Just got this SC back from the tailor yesterday, he did a little waist supression, I still think that the chest looks a bit big... it's a 44, but if I go down one size my shoulders won't fit. Can it be fixed? Thanks in advance!

PS. I'm not wearing this, as I said got it back fromt he tailor so I just tried it on to get some pics to get some feedback.

Last edited:

garsag

Reaction score
Hi!

I am completely new to tailoring, and also somewhat fresh to the odd jackets game. Anyhow, I snapped a L.B.M. 1911 sportscoat at 25% off at Bloomingdale's, which I now believe was done in too much of a rush. Any suggestions on this fit? Will it be worth the tailoring money (considering it's functional buttons etc.), or would I be better off returning it and find something else?

[Edit] Sorry for the absolutely horrific pictures, will update with proper ones as soon as possible.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It seems that a refresher will periodically be required:

Please wear dress shoes and a dress shirt with the cuffs and collar buttoned. Belt/suspenders required if pants are loose. Tie optional. Feet should be even, no more than hip distance apart, with weight equally distributed on both. Arms should hang comfortably to the sides (no flapping wings). And subjects should stand naturally--avoid puffing their chest or snapping to attention for the camera. Full front, side and back shots are ideal. They should be well-lit, with the camera held straight, 10-12 feet away, about chest/ribcage high. Other positions or angles will cause distortion, as will wide-angle lenses.

guyute82

Reaction score
It seems that a refresher will periodically be required:

Please wear dress shoes and a dress shirt with the cuffs and collar buttoned. Belt/suspenders required if pants are loose. Tie optional. Feet should be even, no more than hip distance apart, with weight equally distributed on both. Arms should hang comfortably to the sides (no flapping wings). And subjects should stand naturally--avoid puffing their chest or snapping to attention for the camera. Full front, side and back shots are ideal. They should be well-lit, with the camera held straight, 10-12 feet away, about chest/ribcage high. Other positions or angles will cause distortion, as will wide-angle lenses.
I think I adhered to these rules...

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think I adhered to these rules...

You did, and it's to your credit. (Well, except for the buttoned shirt collar, but that's a minor transgression compared to the inky, murky, grainy wing-flapping pics many post.)

Last edited:

gambit50

Reaction score

Hi tailors! Need your help again. Just got this SC back from the tailor yesterday, he did a little waist supression, I still think that the chest looks a bit big... it's a 44, but if I go down one size my shoulders won't fit. Can it be fixed? Thanks in advance! PS. I'm not wearing this, as I said got it back fromt he tailor so I just tried it on to get some pics to get some feedback.
Are you sure the shoulders will not fit if you go down? I think the front pic looks like it was taken with the camera angled downward so that accentuates the issues I see. Overall, the jacket just looks too large. The pic from the back is better however. Still, jacket is long even for a classic length, I just do not think the proportion is good for you. And I don't know if there has been a discussion by some of the resident experts of where the shoulder seam should sit, especially on someone with large shoulders. Not wide but large balls for the socket. Muscular, cannonballs whatever you want to call it. There can be such a difference as to the end of the acromion compared to the end of the 'shoulder' depending on build. For someone with wide, developed shoulders, especially if your hips are not super wide(one can have an athletic V shape either way but some are more straight down, others former another angle) and your thighs not massive and wide, you don't want to create the illusion of widening the line across the top of the jacket. I think the shoulder seam should go more across the acromion(look that up,easier than my idiot self explaining) and not the 'end' of the shoulder. Yes, there is the question of where is the 'end' given shoulder are often rounding and not a cliff. Anyway, I have gone on too long to say that the jacket looks too wide at the top line, too big in the chest and too long. I could add still too big in the waist. From the backside, much better, probably less of the same. A more perpendicular sleevehead attachment making the shoulder seam spread narrower more at the top than at the bottom of armhole. Maybe if you have a picture without the jacket just to judge body type(I won't ask for your portfolio shirtless or nudes) and I could see if I believe you or myself more about the shoulders.

NeedStyleHelp

Reaction score
Sorry for the repost, but I'm going on a trip to Europe in a few weeks for a wedding and would like to bring both suits. Can someone help? Sorry, I know they're not the greatest pictures, can't find my camera.

I've been waiting to make this post for awhile now.

Looking to get some great advice from everyone here.

The first suit I'm going to post (grey suit) I would like to know about what alterations I should consider in the jacket. I know the sleeves for sure, and am thinking about taking it in a bit. Any thoughts? I am also contemplating putting on a ticket pocket.

As for the pants, I obviously need them hemmed, I am thinking of doing a 2 inch cuff with little to no break. Thoughts?

For the second suit (blue suit) I am looking for suggestions on the jacket. It is not a great suit (Calvin Klein, before I found Styleforum), but I still think it likes good, and warrants a better fit.

Any additional suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Grey Suit:

Blue suit

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads