• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's at least one dissertation in that first photo. At least.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's at least one dissertation in that first photo. At least.

The caption on the first should be: "Why cousins shouldn't **** each other or at least they should pull out if they do"

And the second: "Guess which of the groomsmen the groom has slept with and in what order"

recondite

Reaction score
LOL!

I can hear the thrumming of banjo music and I hope it is only in my mind.

The sad truth about the US, and where the rest of the world is now headed, is that people now regularly do things on the sole justification and reasoning that they can.

Their code is the one promoted by Anton LaVey, if you remember who he was; or, "Do as thou wilt"

Sad stuff.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the first of those unmentionable photos: Why would the bride even bother wearing a gown if everyone else was going to dress like that?

No joking...I was at a budget, yet sophisticated Manhattan wedding in the late 90s...no dress code was mentioned...the bride wore a cocktail dress, the groom was in a nice suit and all of the guests wore cocktail attire. Except for one guest: A woman the bride grew up with in rural Upstate New York showed up in jeans and a sweatshirt. She also brought her two young children (who were not on the invite, as it was a no-kids affair).

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In the first of those unmentionable photos: Why would the bride even bother wearing a gown if everyone else was going to dress like that?

No joking...I was at a budget, yet sophisticated Manhattan wedding in the late 90s...no dress code was mentioned...the bride wore a cocktail dress, the groom was in a nice suit and all of the guests wore cocktail attire. Except for one guest: A woman the bride grew up with in rural Upstate New York showed up in jeans and a sweatshirt. She also brought her two young children (who were not on the invite, as it was a no-kids affair).

Come on, give her a break. I'm sure that the kids' dad was supposed to watch them, but was picked up for cooking meth the day before.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The sad truth about the US, and where the rest of the world is now headed, is that people now regularly do things on the sole justification and reasoning that they can.

We live in an era where cleverness is valued more than quality by most people.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Look, I'll be the first to rip an outfit to shreds, but you all are making the very ugly mistake of confusing taste in clothing for the quality of the people wearing it. The truth is that the vast majority of Americans do not pay a fraction of the attention to dress as we do on this forum. Yet, that doesn't make them all rednecks. If you think the rich and educated always know how to dress right, you clearly don't spend much time with many rich, educated people.

Don't even pretend Europe is much different. I've seen too many Europeans to believe there is much substance behind the pretentiousness.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think this may be the first :foo: post I can unequivocally +1. Should I be concerned?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Look, I'll be the first to rip an outfit to shreds, but you all are making the very ugly mistake of confusing taste in clothing for the quality of the people wearing it. The truth is that the vast majority of Americans do not pay a fraction of the attention to dress as we do on this forum. Yet, that doesn't make them all rednecks. If you think the rich and educated always know how to dress right, you clearly don't spend much time with many rich, educated people.

Don't even pretend Europe is much different. I've seen too many Europeans to believe there is much substance behind the pretentiousness.

I've enjoyed this thread for what it is thus far, but this is probably the first post that serves as advice to live by as well and is applicable far beyond discussions of black tie dress. That said, I still find those pictures hilarious, and that hilarity goes far beyond the outfits IMO.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The point I'm trying to make is that there is an attitude amongst many people nowadays that if everything you do isn't unique and clever and non-traditional, then you're just a boring, vanilla person. This ties back right to the point of this thread, "the state of black tie today", considering that established, rigid, "boring" dress codes like black/white tie put everyone on the same level and make no one stand out. So, if I show up to a "creative black tie" event in a one-button, peak lapel, etc. pitch-perfect black tie rig, does that mean that I'm an elitist who looks down on the fools with their polka dot bow ties and Converse sneakers? Does that mean I'm a square who doesn't know how to have a good time? And my comment as to the value of cleverness vs. quality definitely does not apply only to fashion. It applies to any "creative" endeavor.

Butler

Reaction score
Correct form (to-day):

You specify the correct dress code for the occasion (day/night etc.) and include a voucher to the local rental place for a free rental (of course the rental place are instructed to only supply correct attire, in case of guests potential requests for coloured bows etc.)

One includes the cost in the overall wedding budget.

bigstar%5B1%5D.gif

Uh, it is not proper form to indicate a dress code on a formal invitation for anything other than a costume ball or the like.

Informally, you can do as you wish however.

Guests should know proper attire based on the time of day. It is a sad testimony about our culture that your guests may not understand what is correct.

I'm sorry, but this is not correct!

One does indicate a dress code on formal invitations (as Foo experienced at the Rubinacci affair) - it is not always enough to know what to wear at the time of the day.For instance an invitation for a Black Tie event in Europe, can specify not only that, but also wheather the ladies should wear short or long dresses (intended level of formality). White Tie in some countries can be specified as "Galla" which means the best of the best (goes for uniforms and Court dress as well) a n d that if you are decorated (awarded an order or medal) the larger version should be worn.

Mind you, nothing snobbish about it - as most of the etiquette rules, they are just a guide that serves a purpose; to secure that nobody feels uncomfortable at the event, by standing out, and that the host's intended level of formality is adhered to - At a Black Tie event for example, the host is actually supposed to change into whatever a guest is wearing if showing up without a Dinner jacket - so he should not feel he is the only one - correct form in the extreme! :bigstar:

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think this may be the first :foo: post I can unequivocally +1. Should I be concerned?

I'm experiencing the same phenomenon. I feel confused, angry, hurt. Where is the crisis line number when you need it.

Moloch38

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but this is not correct!

One does indicate a dress code on formal invitations (as Foo experienced at the Rubinacci affair) - it is not always enough to know what to wear at the time of the day.For instance an invitation for a Black Tie event in Europe, can specify not only that, but also wheather the ladies should wear short or long dresses (intended level of formality). White Tie in some countries can be specified as "Galla" which means the best of the best (goes for uniforms and Court dress as well) a n d that if you are decorated (awarded an order or medal) the larger version should be worn.

Mind you, nothing snobbish about it - as most of the etiquette rules, they are just a guide that serves a purpose; to secure that nobody feels uncomfortable at the event, by standing out, and that the host's intended level of formality is adhered to - At a Black Tie event for example, the host is actually supposed to change into whatever a guest is wearing if showing up without a Dinner jacket - so he should not feel he is the only one - correct form in the extreme!
bigstar[1].gif
FACT.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads