• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The poker tips and bragging thread

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laughwithm3
i'm just giving a little advice, because spoo's play was not optimal imo.
i will lose my entire stack there too because hitting trips in a reraised pot is godly, but at least by raising to 30 pf, his call pf with 77 was not a optimal call, since sets only hit 12% of the time, and he will fold to my c-bet alot of the time when anything above 10 comes on the flop regardless if i hit my A or K.

Im not saying it was optimal, but by no means was it a donk move reraising with AK that much (ok, maybe could have been a little more). It was a low stakes game with loose players late at night. Im not throwing it all out unless Im wired.

laughwithm3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I agree with you Sho - Ive been playing for the past 18 years, I know the deal. Im by no means the best player in the world, but Ive got more hours at a table than most people do. Not reading some online 'zine or watching WPT reruns
lol8[1].gif

ok... i assume you don't multitable or use poker tracker type software?
if you play alot of online poker, i suggest getting PT, so you can review your plays and stats, and it tells you the detailed stats of players on the table while you are playing, very helpful tool. i guess you could call it a "zine", but aren't you suppose to get any advantage possible as a poker player?

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spoo's biggest mistake was preflop, you should just about never miniraise preflop, plus youre buying in with 1/4 of a buyin on a table, dont do that unless youre familiar with shortstacking strategy and even then youre better off just playing full buyins at lower stakes.

The problem is youre not thinking about it long term and thinking about this one situation. When you miniraise preflop you just gave the right odds for just about any 2 hands 2 cvall you. And long term theyll outdraw you on the flop enough times to make this a losing play.

wtf at wanting to get multiple people in the pot oop with ak and with a shorstack.

Just be open to criticism and to learn other aspects of the game, itll improve your play.

I used to post my hands in a poker forum and get slaughtered and thats how i got better.

PLay full buyin, lower stakes, and join a poker forum if youre serious about getting better.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
spoo. poker 'players' always talk after the fact. like they know everything. look at hellmuth spouting off everytime he loses a hand. 'he was supposed to fold that hand' . pssht. ******.

poeple always around the table talk after the hand is over. oh you caught my card. youre suposed to do this or that. i wouldnt play it like that. etc.

pshht. theybe doing the same thing i did if they had the same exact hand and circumstance.

Sho, go post the hand and dont show results on two + two. ALl the repllies youll get will laugh at the miniraise.

Its a fundamental theoretical mistake.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alan
Spoo's biggest mistake was preflop, you should just about never miniraise preflop, plus youre buying in with 1/4 of a buyin on a table, dont do that unless youre familiar with shortstacking strategy and even then youre better off just playing full buyins at lower stakes.

The problem is youre not thinking about it long term and thinking about this one situation. When you miniraise preflop you just gave the right odds for just about any 2 hands 2 cvall you. And long term theyll outdraw you on the flop enough times to make this a losing play.

wtf at wanting to get multiple people in the pot oop with ak and with a shorstack.

Just be open to criticism and to learn other aspects of the game, itll improve your play.

I used to post my hands in a poker forum and get slaughtered and thats how i got better.

PLay full buyin, lower stakes, and join a poker forum if youre serious about getting better.

Im almost tired of explaining this hand, mistakes or not, but for the 15th time I WAS NOT SHORTSTACKED I had more than 4/10 ppl on the table and came in with more than the minumum suggested buyin.

/discussion of this hand

gamblor

Reaction score
You should post some more hands, this is interesting.

Also, people are using shortstack to describe the absolute size of your stack, (such as less than 30 times the big blind) not your size relative to others. If you were at a 2/4 table where all players had $100, all would be shortstacks in general use of the term, even though they all had the same amount.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamblor
You should post some more hands, this is interesting.

Also, people are using shortstack to describe the absolute size of your stack, (such as less than 30 times the big blind) not your size relative to others. If you were at a 2/4 table where all players had $100, all would be shortstacks in general use of the term, even though they all had the same amount.

THat I understand, but I dont think thats the term they are using by saying shortstack.

Anyhow, maybe later this evening I will set up a table again and see if anyone cares to join - and I will pray I get AK on the button
devil.gif

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
THat I understand, but I dont think thats the term they are using by saying shortstack. Anyhow, maybe later this evening I will set up a table again and see if anyone cares to join - and I will pray I get AK on the button
devil.gif

Your stack relative to others doesnt matter. Its relative to the blinds. A full buyin would be 100 big blinds usually. The better you are the deeper you want to play usually. Shortstacking is usually used as a way for players either to take shots theyre not properly bankrolled for, or to minimize the difference in skills postflop against better players since usually shortstacks either finish the hand preflop or have a very easy push or fold decision postflop. And btw, if youre praying for AK on the button, buy in deep so you can actually use the positional advantage... Anyway, i thought you wanted other peoples opinion, nevermind.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So when you play online for real scratch how do you fill an online account up? CC?

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
So when you play online for real scratch how do you fill an online account up? CC?

Direct deposit from your bank acct.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm off to my Memorial Day game. It's a house game I've played on and off in and the play style varies a lot. Some people are marsupialed loose andw ill call anything anywhere, a couple other players are tighter and I think one or two might secretly be good strategic players but it's hard to tell with the mess that goes on.

My ultra tight noob style has actually done pretty well before so I'm thinking I just continue playing tight and value betting until at least a couple players are knocked out? I can't make moves on the marsupialed loose players for obvious reasons but I also don't think I can get away with it on the guys who might actually be decent.

Another factor is the game is kind of short stacked, buy in is only 100 bbs.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also I'm the youngest player at the table by like five years at least.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads