• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love CA Pinots like Edwards, Freeman and Sanford (my favourite).

I've really enjoyed Maysara Jamsheed for Oregon. The Sarah Powell from Oregon was too funky for me.

I'm always up fro trying new Pinots, tho. My fav varietal.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
fair enough. What about the Kiwis? I have found many of them to be quite similar to Cali in style, though my experience with fine Cali pinots are certainly limited (no Peay in NY State
censored.gif
).

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Love CA Pinots like Edwards, Freeman and Sanford (my favourite).

I've really enjoyed Maysara Jamsheed for Oregon. The Sarah Powell from Oregon was too funky for me.

I'm always up fro trying new Pinots, tho. My fav varietal.

I find Oregons are like that; real "barnyard." It's why I almost always decant Oregons, as it will blow off. I find Oregons tend to be more old world, and the further north in CA you go, the more old world too. Peay is easily the most old world PN going in CA, that I can think of. I have several of their '5 Scallop Shelf and I'd give them another two years before I crack my next one.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I have found the same with Oregon Pinot Noir, similar in style to French while the Cali is similar to New Zealand.

Of course exceptions exist.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
fair enough. What about the Kiwis? I have found many of them to be quite similar to Cali in style, though my experience with fine Cali pinots are certainly limited (no Peay in NY State
censored.gif
).

I've had a couple of enjoyable Kiwi PNs, but nothing yet to compare with a good (great) CA.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I've had a couple of enjoyable Kiwi PNs, but nothing yet to compare with a good (great) CA.
+1 I'm hoping Central Otago starts producing some gems.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
...Peay is easily the most old world PN going in CA, that I can think of...

Hmmm, maybe I'll have to give Peay another try. I remember last year trying their PN on one or two different occasions and having a "it's nice but nothing exceptional" experience. But then again, maybe it was just the context of the tasting.

Which is another interesting wine question/topic: Ever had your experience with a wine -- same year, vintage, maker, etc. -- vary quite a bit? I have. I usually chalk it up to differences in me rather than differences in the bottle.

How about you all?

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
We had this nice Burgundy at the SF SFO meetup. Was good, but the 2005 Merry Edwards Pinot we had first was IMO much better.

SFOburgundy.jpg

Neat-o...did you snap this with your phone when I wasn't looking?
cheers.gif

I must admit that as much as I enjoyed the Merry Edwards that night, I actually preferred this one. To me it was a bit mellower yet still rich in some way. I'm sorry, I'm terrible at describing tastes.

I've been kind of on a Burgundy kick the past 2 months, maybe because I've had so much Cali PN over the previous ~9 months anything different seems like a refreshing and enjoyable change. In general I've had a good run of luck with Nuit St. Georges. Which was why I picked that one...
smile.gif

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
How about you all?
Yes, binge, at the meetup dinner.
smile.gif
I really liked it. More than Jan. But the Merry Edwards for me was superb. The wines, usually the CAD$20 - $30 variety that I have drunk consistently (a least 10 bottles of each) have been very consistent. Lucky, I guess. 2005 Hess Cab 2005/6 Les Christins Vacqueyras 2005/6 JLohr Cab 2005/6 Kenwood Pinot 2005/6 Penfolds Hyland Shiraz

zhouyu

Reaction score
a few that i've tried @ work and liked...

Stag's Leap Artemis Cab
Clos Du Bois Cab
Clos Du Val Cab
Marques de Caceres Rioja
Ruffino Ducale Chianti
Beringer Knights Valley Alluvium Red (?)
Jordan Cab
Franciscan Cab
Permutations (forgot who made it...)

mostly $2X range... except for the stag's leap... thats about $55...

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge

Which is another interesting wine question/topic: Ever had your experience with a wine -- same year, vintage, maker, etc. -- vary quite a bit? I have. I usually chalk it up to differences in me rather than differences in the bottle.

How about you all?

I have, though to be fair I rarely taste the same wine twice.

I think it's fascinating when the same glass changes over a 5 minute period. The Alban shiraz did that to me, utterly mesmerizing nose.

Tonight I killed a bottle of Italian Falanghina. Quite nice, acidity like a surgical razor on the tongue. I would have liked a little more complexity, but the massive dose of acidity made it a perfect wine for the vat of Italian food the gf made for dinner tonight (including fried zucchini hearts!).

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2002 Shafer Hillside Select Cabernet
hillside.jpg

artemis.jpg

talbott.jpg

freeman.jpg

Duckhorn Vineyards
duckhorn.jpg

Viader Vineyards
viader.jpg

cakebread.jpg

Will Predhomme, Somellier at Canoe

canoesomellier.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads