• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My thrifting bux pay for my son's daycare. Small steps....

My thrifting bux pay for my Mexican food addiction, golf, furniture, clothes furniture and vintage advertising I don't need, and tuition
Also take a gander at this thing I just bought on ebay

Also I just thrifted an almost full set of cobra golf clubs with extra long shafts and the original bag they had only a little bit of use and are less than 5 years old I have been looking for a set for forever thank god of thrift stores carrying things other than clothes especially sets of golf clubs for 29.99
I will post pics when I get home I am busy playing halo right now at a friends house

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cant you get a pair of AE Park Aves and polish the **** out of them in the meantime as a stopgap?
Thanks buddy! And yes, its wicked fast.

In my opinion it is more of a sin to wear captoes with a tux than non shiny plaintoes but I do have a pair of Bostonian captoes that are corrected grain but polish to a mirror shine if you think those are a better option?

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found these Brooks Brothers opera pumps in my size...but check out that scrape. Are they beyond help?

At $20, I could live with the flaw being noticeable, as long as they turned out somewhat decent after a little TLC. Just wasn't sure what could be done with the patent leather, so I passed on them.

Last edited:

futuremyth

Reaction score
Had the best luck I've ever had thrifting today. Hit up a new VV that opened on the other end of the city.

Pair of Florsheim Imperial penny loafers, I think they're cordovan. 9D, available.

Allen Edmonds "Wendell" size 8.5 E, available

A few ties:

Canali

Robert Talbott "Best Of Class"

Anyone need an ascot?

Versace (hope it's legit)

Cool patchwork madras driving cap

Shirts & sweater:
old Polo shortsleeve for summer

Eton Contemporary Fit 17/43 (available)

Old-school Lacoste polo, made in France

Neiman Marcus (is their house-brand Made In China stuff worth anything, or should I exchange this?)

Ballantyne sweater

And a few jackets:

Arnold Brant bamboo 46R (nothing special but pretty much new), available

Samuelsohn cashmere blazer, included polyester square in pic
fistbump.gif
needs a bit of cleanup but nice on the whole. 41L, available after I get it cleaned

And the single biggest thrift score I've ever had...

Good looking coat, hacking pockets, ticket pocket, nice pick stitching, 3 roll 2

Hey, a little boutonniere loop and some surgeon cuffs!

Man, this thing is soft... is it cashmere too? Who made it?

In my size to boot. Not sure if it's an orphan, searched high and low for trousers to no avail.
Regardless, I was all

CesarC

Reaction score
Yeah
shog[1].gif
. I do feel self-conscious wearing that jacket. I've pretty much stopped wearing all of the too-big jackets I have unless they fit well with a sweater underneath; this is the only exception as it's one of only 3 summer-weight sport coats that I have. I try to convince myself that it's less important when it's seersucker, but I guess I'm not fooling anyone. As for the pants, well, that's a different story. Slim-fitting pants are almost always too tight in the seat and pull at the pockets. I've mostly stopped buying stuff now, and will slowly add funds to the "let me finally get this thing tailored" coffer, but of course I always fluctuate in weight +/- a size so it's even harder for me to convince myself of that... I don't know what the deal is with the suspenders, but they seem, unsurprisingly, very well made, some of them obviously dating to before '91 (W. Germany). I guess the lederhosen hypothesis makes sense.
Cesar - thats some volume in that fit man.
smile.gif

Whats the story with all the suspenders from Germany? I find them too all the time. Lederhosen?
Cant you get a pair of AE Park Aves and polish the **** out of them in the meantime as a stopgap?

Ha, I know what you mean. When I was growing up, every time I got a sports physical the first thing they would do is reach for my thyroid, which annoyed the hell out of me. Now I'm finally within a normal BMI range, but unfortunately for me that's probably not all muscle....
Originally Posted by Ian Erickson
Hey I am finally within the "normal" weight range for my height for the first time in my life so be nice

Oh, and I neglected to say it since I'd be just one more in the sea of praise, but congrats on the car, Spoo! Now your Versace will look more at home in an Italian ride.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[/quote] Now I'm finally within a normal BMI range, but unfortunately for me that's probably not all muscle....
[/quote]
Yeah I am 5% body fat and deceptively strong I actually have started hustling people in arm wrestling to add some cash to my thrifting coffers

Greg613

Reaction score

Comments Ok, this one isn't a thrift purchase, but was at 50% sidewalk sale and I know some of you are into woodworking. Have been looking for a cufflink box for a while, and the purple heart won me over even though I feel guilty buying it.
That is an awesome find. Love the Mercury Dime cuff links also. One of these days I am going to break down and buy a pair.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
huh I wouldn't think their suits would be nice given that it is very hard to find a tailor that does both suits and shirt equally well (also the ls button down popovers ascot chang made for the armory give me a boner)
anyway I took a little bit better pictures of my black tie rig, hopefully more than one person will respond this time...
shog%5B1%5D.gif

I am getting slightly better at tying bow-ties...
also I really freaking love this shirt, spread collar french cuff covered placket is super versatile I would be happy only owning this and a light blue button down collar shirt

no ******* clue about this brand but I love the 60s looking geometric patterns in the lining
the roped and slightly extended shoulders really add some weight to my silhouette (not everything can be soft shouldered and Italian right?)
also I love the lower button stance that buttons right at my belly button
some of you might like dual vents on a tux but I am glad this is ventless
overall the only things I would change about this jacket would be to give it red Dracula esque lining, turnback cuffs and slightly wider lapels, but I honestly don't think anyone at my senior ball would notice these details anyways...

I swapped out to fabric covered buttons I sourced on the bay
this is also probably the most accurate photo of the actual color of the suit...

(still haven't pressed the shirt
shog%5B1%5D.gif
)

wtf is this weave called?

these shoes don't polish any brighter and it is annoying :( also I like the subtle brougeing it elevate the shoe above a normal boring old plain-toe (note to myself I need some real socks that are not from uniqlo)

I thought you anal retentive clothing nerds would appreciate how well I matched my metals and leathers in my accessories

now that the photos have finally loaded i am going out into the field to find some kiton :)
Make sure to bring a box of condoms with you to the ball.
Comments

Damn, everybody is killing it! Ian, be sure to post in the Thrift Thread Fits: Formal Wear thread, the outfit looks solid. suited, I've had to deal with snakes many times, but only once with a poisonous one (cottonmouth) -- it's all about keeping a cool head and staying calm and collected. Looks like you took care of it, but it looks pretty gross.

UNAVAILABLE

Ok, this one isn't a thrift purchase, but was at 50% sidewalk sale and I know some of you are into woodworking. Have been looking for a cufflink box for a while, and the purple heart won me over even though I feel guilty buying it.

Look at that craftmanship!

Hickey Freeman tie (one was just posted like this, in monochrome, also from Marshalls)

Academic institution ties

Ann Taylor silk blouses for the GF

wooden massager for the plantar fascia (Fueco knows what I'm talking about)

3x silk Trafalgar, 1 cloth made in W. Germany

Available (unless otherwise marked)

2 cloth Trafalgar, 1 cloth Liberty of London

I later realized the adjustor clasp is missing, but this can easily be swapped from another. The Liberty of London one is wearing out, so maybe could swap from that one or one of the uglier ones below.

1 no-name, 2 made in Germany

Faconnable made in Italy, size M

Anybody into hunting & fishing? I have 3 things for you... (all from different places, btw)

NWT Wathne made in USA silk vest, fishing themed

Mallory & Church woolen tie

Woolrich chamois, size L (measures a little smaller)

Thrift Fit

Wore this to a daytime reception with lots of big-wigs who've met me before, but I knew everyone else was going to be above my pay-grade but without any real authority over me, so F it.

Details:
jacket: no-name 1970's washable seersucker, from capnwes
shirt: Lord & Taylor, going out of business sale
PS: made in Italy silk, from GMMcL
belt: Coach, from Fueco
pants: BB, from tubs
socks: Pantherella green merino, Marshalls
shoes: 1970's J&M Aristocraft lizard-skin, eBay
You are clear for take off with those lapels!
biggrin.gif

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And the single biggest thrift score I've ever had... Good looking coat, hacking pockets, ticket pocket, nice pick stitching, 3 roll 2
LL
Hey, a little boutonniere loop and some surgeon cuffs! Man, this thing is soft... is it cashmere too? Who made it?
SCORE! :slayer:

mistermidwester

Reaction score
Ran across a really neat Ferragamo tie.

Saw this hat and it felt incredibly substantial when I picked it up.

Not really my style, but I flipped it over and looked at the inside of the brim. Whoot.

Also wished I still played tennis, as I found a minty Head Flexpoint 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads