• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverwarebandit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not too much today

Some versace headed to Spoo

An EZ 1/4 lined, unpadded, patch pocketed, dual vented, 3/2 rolled, washed cotton jacket. In my size :D. I've been trying to thrift a jacket like this for over a year. :slayer:

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not too much today

An EZ 1/4 lined, unpadded, patch pocketed, dual vented, 3/2 rolled, washed cotton jacket. In my size :D. I've been trying to thrift a jacket like this for over a year. :slayer:

Daaaaaaaaannnnng!

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
duplicate.

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Nat re: that tent, It's an A-Frame with just 2 poles. I'm taking it to up north Wisconsin this coming weekend to test it out before it comes out west with us. I'll snap some photos. :slayer:

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're pretty damn nice! I found about 10 of them last summer. I wonder what base retail price for a suit is from them.....

huh I wouldn't think their suits would be nice given that it is very hard to find a tailor that does both suits and shirt equally well (also the ls button down popovers ascot chang made for the armory give me a boner)
anyway I took a little bit better pictures of my black tie rig, hopefully more than one person will respond this time...
shog[1].gif

I am getting slightly better at tying bow-ties...
also I really freaking love this shirt, spread collar french cuff covered placket is super versatile I would be happy only owning this and a light blue button down collar shirt

no ******* clue about this brand but I love the 60s looking geometric patterns in the lining
the roped and slightly extended shoulders really add some weight to my silhouette (not everything can be soft shouldered and Italian right?)
also I love the lower button stance that buttons right at my belly button
some of you might like dual vents on a tux but I am glad this is ventless
overall the only things I would change about this jacket would be to give it red Dracula esque lining, turnback cuffs and slightly wider lapels, but I honestly don't think anyone at my senior ball would notice these details anyways...

I swapped out to fabric covered buttons I sourced on the bay
this is also probably the most accurate photo of the actual color of the suit...

(still haven't pressed the shirt
shog[1].gif
)

wtf is this weave called?

these shoes don't polish any brighter and it is annoying :( also I like the subtle brougeing it elevate the shoe above a normal boring old plain-toe (note to myself I need some real socks that are not from uniqlo)

I thought you anal retentive clothing nerds would appreciate how well I matched my metals and leathers in my accessories

now that the photos have finally loaded i am going out into the field to find some kiton :)

CesarC

Reaction score
Comments

Damn, everybody is killing it! Ian, be sure to post in the Thrift Thread Fits: Formal Wear thread, the outfit looks solid. suited, I've had to deal with snakes many times, but only once with a poisonous one (cottonmouth) -- it's all about keeping a cool head and staying calm and collected. Looks like you took care of it, but it looks pretty gross.

UNAVAILABLE

Ok, this one isn't a thrift purchase, but was at 50% sidewalk sale and I know some of you are into woodworking. Have been looking for a cufflink box for a while, and the purple heart won me over even though I feel guilty buying it.

Look at that craftmanship!

Hickey Freeman tie (one was just posted like this, in monochrome, also from Marshalls)

Academic institution ties

Ann Taylor silk blouses for the GF

wooden massager for the plantar fascia (Fueco knows what I'm talking about)

3x silk Trafalgar, 1 cloth made in W. Germany

Available (unless otherwise marked)

2 cloth Trafalgar, 1 cloth Liberty of London

I later realized the adjustor clasp is missing, but this can easily be swapped from another. The Liberty of London one is wearing out, so maybe could swap from that one or one of the uglier ones below.

1 no-name, 2 made in Germany

Faconnable made in Italy, size M

Anybody into hunting & fishing? I have 3 things for you... (all from different places, btw)

NWT Wathne made in USA silk vest, fishing themed

Mallory & Church woolen tie

Woolrich chamois, size L (measures a little smaller)

Thrift Fit

Wore this to a daytime reception with lots of big-wigs who've met me before, but I knew everyone else was going to be above my pay-grade but without any real authority over me, so F it.

Details:
jacket: no-name 1970's washable seersucker, from capnwes
shirt: Lord & Taylor, going out of business sale
PS: made in Italy silk, from GMMcL
belt: Coach, from Fueco
pants: BB, from tubs
socks: Pantherella green merino, Marshalls
shoes: 1970's J&M Aristocraft lizard-skin, eBay

Garasaki

Reaction score

Pupatl

Reaction score
Hi - just wanted to thank everyone for all of the fantastic information in this thread, which I have been reading now for 3 weeks (I'm through early December). I have found a number of items that I would not have known to pick up over those last weeks and have become very much interested in thrifting as a hobby; as soon as most of my good finds are back from the tailor I will post pictures. I seem to have had more luck with trousers that require hemming *shrug*. For the time being I'm just buying items in my size, so that has also kept a lid on the purchases. At least for now. Look for a more graphic/picture-filled post soon (though the pictures will not be as professional as many of you guys!)

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ian - you are a string bean man. lol. Looks good from the ankles up. Blue socks are a serious no and the shoes are far too casual for the tux. Otherwise very nice.

Cesar - thats some volume in that fit man. :)

Whats the story with all the suspenders from Germany? I find them too all the time. Lederhosen?

Of course, like everyone else, I have my eye on what Spoo is collecting....

For a 6'2", 40L kinda guy, you gotta couple there that caught my eye even more than usual!

Thats my size...but im kind of..um.. broke this week. :)

Hi - just wanted to thank everyone for all of the fantastic information in this thread, which I have been reading now for 3 weeks (I'm through early December).   I have found a number of items that I would not have known to pick up over those last weeks and have become very much interested in thrifting as a hobby; as soon as most of my good finds are back from the tailor I will post pictures.    I seem to have had more luck with trousers that require hemming *shrug*.  For the time being I'm just buying items in my size, so that has also kept a lid on the purchases.  At least for now.   Look for a more graphic/picture-filled post soon (though the pictures will not be as professional as many of you guys!)

Welcome to the thread and looking forward!

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ian - you are a string bean man. lol. Looks good from the ankles up. Blue socks are a serious no and the shoes are far too casual for the tux. Otherwise very nice

Hey I am finally within the "normal" weight range for my height for the first time in my life so be nice
I am stealing a pair of actual socks that are black from my dad for ball the blue socks were just what I was wearing that day. I literally have no other options for formalish shoes besides a pair of black shell Alden tassels and black Alden captoe brogues both of which are even more casual. I don't really want to buy tuxedo slippers or patent leather oxfords that I would only wear a couple times I found a couple pairs under 50 I kept talking myself out of pulling the trigger :(

46n2

Reaction score
Forgive me for being late, but I wanted to congratulate Mr Spoo on his spectacular thrift and amazing story !
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

My thrifting bux pay for my son's daycare. Small steps....

Congrats again Spoo. And be careful! Very fast car as I'm sure you know now.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hey I am finally within the "normal" weight range for my height for the first time in my life so be nice
I am stealing a pair of actual socks that are black from my dad for ball the blue socks were just what I was wearing that day. I literally have no other options for formalish shoes besides a pair of black shell Alden tassels and black Alden captoe brogues both of which are even more casual. I don't really want to buy tuxedo slippers or patent leather oxfords that I would only wear a couple times I found a couple pairs under 50 I kept talking myself out of pulling the trigger :(

Cant you get a pair of AE Park Aves and polish the **** out of them in the meantime as a stopgap?

Forgive me for being late, but I wanted to congratulate Mr Spoo on his spectacular thrift and amazing story !
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

My thrifting bux pay for my son's daycare. Small steps....

Congrats again Spoo. And be careful! Very fast car as I'm sure you know now.

Thanks buddy! And yes, its wicked fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads