• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not thrift store but found a little something today. Unavailable for now.

Mercuryman76

Reaction score
Dudes, have a shitload of stuff that has been coming up lately that I'll need to post. Talking multiple Isaias, sweet Zegnas, etc. But I picked up this piece today and had to get some pics up. Neil Barrett made in Italy coat that I haven't quite figured out yet. Has some weird **** going on like I've never seen before.
Weird straps on the liner. On the left side is a whistle and the black tube is some type of pump thing that you used to blow **** up. Haven't found this coat anywhere online yet so will have to do some serious sleuthing.
I don't think Neil Barrett has shown up in this thread as far as I can recall. For those that don't know Barrett started out with Gucci then moved to Prada for a while in the 90's or so.

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^ Are old Eddie Bauers worth getting? I've come across a few items with the same tag as the old ones but I just left them since they only produce mediocre stuff nowadays.

Depends, The older stuff is worth getting if it is for yourself--EB once made some of the finest outdoor gear on the planet, and that coat fishy found is completely sick. However, it tends to get no love on the secondary market because of what the brand has become. If you can kop for a good price and it is a staple, say a vintage down vest or a parka, then go ahead, but you will not likely realize a huge return. If it is something weird along the lines of down with a wool-blanket liner, it would probably be a tough flip, even though the quality is high. Along the same lines, I recently sold two down parkas, one by LL Bean of relatively recent vintage and made in Thailand--it said down, but you could feel feathers. The other was a vintage REI that was by far the superior coat. The Bean went for slightly less than $100. The REI, which had no country of origin tag, went for $60, and there is no way I would have sold it if it had fit--I would've sold my brown-label NF first. Some guy in Russia ended up with it, and I'm guessing he's laughing his ass all the way to the Kremlin.

acosbysweater

Reaction score

LOL @ Cucinelli at TJ Maxx. I haven't even found anything that nice at a Marshall's, let alone the Beverly Hills Polo Club dump that is TJ's. Their "Compare at" pricing is ridiculously low.

DAT NEIL BARRETT
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

rayxlui

Reaction score

Dudes, have a shitload of stuff that has been coming up lately that I'll need to post. Talking multiple Isaias, sweet Zegnas, etc. But I picked up this piece today and had to get some pics up. Neil Barrett made in Italy coat that I haven't quite figured out yet. Has some weird **** going on like I've never seen before.
Weird straps on the liner. On the left side is a whistle and the black tube is some type of pump thing that you used to blow **** up. Haven't found this coat anywhere online yet so will have to do some serious sleuthing.
I don't think Neil Barrett has shown up in this thread as far as I can recall. For those that don't know Barrett started out with Gucci then moved to Prada for a while in the 90's or so.
Hella dibs.
Dope, found one of those for $80.

Jowen

Reaction score
God it has been way too long since I posted. I haven't had much time to thrift lately which really is bothering me...I used to work from home and now I don't. The silver lining is that my new job is a huge upgrade from my last job, so I really shouldn't be complaining, but man it is hard to cut back 90% on the addiction!!!

Anyway, what little time I have had to thrift yielded probably my favorite find to date: LL Bean Goatskin Leather, Shearling lined Bomber that fits me like a glove!!

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Glad to hear you got that tie back!

Rooster, brand of ties, ...

Have always dug Roosters. 

Thanks, dudes. I vaguely knew that Rooster was a vtg brand and have seen some quality stuff by them over the years; none of it my style. This one is really nice. Pattern would be great for a square, or maybe I'll wear it under a sweater. Doubtful, though, so if you're a trad/ivy paisley kind of guy, get at me. I've got this one, an Aquascutum and a Rivetz of Boston -- all really nice paisleys that will just sit in my drawer gathering dust.

Dude, you're freaking killing it! I can't get into Maxx and Marshall's, other than the shoe outlets. Too much stuff to wade through. At thrifts, the good stuff shines based on condition and quality. At TJs, the crap is all NWT, and has been all pretty-fied. Hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. Plus, it's orders of magnitude more volume. Every time I go in, I lose interest.

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dude, you're freaking killing it! I can't get into Maxx and Marshall's, other than the shoe outlets. Too much stuff to wade through. At thrifts, the good stuff shines based on condition and quality. At TJs, the crap is all NWT, and has been all pretty-fied. Hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. Plus, it's orders of magnitude more volume. Every time I go in, I lose interest.

This was my first time ever in a TJ Maxx - and this was pretty much the only thing that was worth picking up - a few RLBL pieces at $350+ and some Zegna maybe? The Cucinelli was sandwiched between two Joseph Abboud jackets at $250:slayer:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This just in....I think someone might possibly be receiving their Secret Santa package today. Who could it be??? Whoever you are, please feel free to open it when it arrives, and share. I can't take this suspense any more. I have no problem waiting to open gifts from others, but I hate waiting for someone to receive a gift from me.
It has been delivered.........

24361959.jpg

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LOLS. Cap, you remind me of my daughter.
I already gave my wife half of her Christmas presents. She doesn't know they were for Christmas, I told her they were "just because" gifts. Giving unexpected gifts is my favorite thing about Christmas.

Of course...I got her some more stuff after I gave her the original gifts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads