1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, Yohji often uses high quality fabrics and his garments are pretty well constructed. The one Yohji suit I've ever found I spotted quickly because of how good it looked, and then discovered it was fully canvassed, and quite well put together. He's been doing his thing for a while and does have several lines, but probably the only one you might want to shy away from is Coming Soon. Arguably the most 'licensed' line he has is Y-3, with Adidas. But that stuff is pretty cool tech-y streetwear, and would still fetch a pretty penny on the bay.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  2. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

As someone who spends many hours per week training (19-25 hours) for ultra-endurance sports events, let me tell you about ill-fitting clothes...

Try riding a road bike for 10 hours in a pair of slacks. Then repeat experiment wearing a pair of weird and ugly baggy bike shorts, then repeat the experiment with lycra shorts, then repeat it with a pair of lycra Assos bib shorts. Try a similar experiment with different levels of running attire. And let's not forget swimming... I can't imagine doing one of my swim workouts in a wool swimsuit.

Defining something as "weird" because it doesn't conform to your personal norm is the worst kind of snobbery there is. There are appropriate times to dress to impress and there are times when it would be completely unnecessary. Dressing "nicely" (in your manner, that is), one can come across as: put-together, successful, elitist, arrogant, posh, and countless other good and bad things.

This may be the Classic Menswear forum, but this is also a thread about finding stuff in thrift stores that are bragworthy.

As for useless clothing... As far as I can tell, the primary purpose of clothing is to disguise who has a small d!ck and who has big d!ick. If the clothing doesn't do that job, then it's useless. I've yet to see anything posted in this thread that would qualify as useless...

3. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Yes, there is a fuck ugly pair of Y 3's white high tops at a place I frequent.

Edit: Deadboy beat me to it.

4. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

So let's fix that deficiency right now

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. caseyfud

caseyfud Well-Known Member

lol you are so clueless

6. codhead

codhead Well-Known Member

Emma just came home with a Robert Graham dress shirt that she found.

It's in a pure white, seems like Swiss cotton, with embroidered inner yoke and inner cuffs.

It looks like whoever originally bought it took no notice of the laundry label. This clearly states "Dry clean only. Do not steam press". The blue dye in the embroidery has now run into the outside fabric of the yoke and cuffs. Strangely, no other colours, just the blue.

Please, has anyone any ideas on rescuing what is a truly stunning shirt?

7. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Well-Known Member

last few days besides the a&s tux found a tuxedo/suit custom for isaac mizrahi by edgar pomeroy
    plus the usual hermes zegna brioni etc ties, interesting japanese tie by a brand call wako
    suits and jackets pal zileri, polo italy, prada, zegna etc
    shirts loro piana, etro, borrelli, barba, paul smith etc etc
    sweaters malo loro piana

8. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

:cheers:

To be clear, I think Nat's find is awesome from a thrifting standpoint. Given the opportunity, I'd gladly pick up all of that and flip it all day long, just like I do Robert Graham shirts. Doesn't mean I don't think they're ugly and question the taste of anyone who'd wear them.

Probably beyond saving, sadly. Unfortunately, blue dyes seem to be the least colorfast of all. I don't know why that is, but I've seen blue bleed far more often than any other color.

9. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

Will someone please PM me when we're back bragging about thrift finds? Thanks.

2 people like this.
  10. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Well-Known Member

arguing over the comparative merits (or lack thereof) of dressing like an old person vs. dressing like a young person is saying, hey world, i don't have enormous low-hanging balls, i don't have a big old swinging dick, i have a little tiny baby pinky, gimme a blankie.

3 people like this.
  11. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Well-Known Member

Any chance that wako is actually wacko Maria?

12. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Met up with the competition today AKA Silverwarebandit, totally cool dude. I look forward to future thrifting missions.:fistbump:
    On to today's finds. I don't usually pick up, much less brag about J Crew, but I thought this moss green, lambswool, shawl collar pull-over warrants it.
    [​IMG]
    Anybody heard of this brand before? Made in the USA, fabric is really nice and check out the blue MOPs. Never seen those before.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Back to your regularly scheduled dick talk.

13. silverwarebandit

Hell yeah!

I don't think LD did too well...

http://www.gilt.com/brand/loden-dager/product/11749035-loden-dager-cotton-thin-striped-shirt

14. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Brookscool suit, deadstock. Two Brooks Brothers buttondowns, deadstock, for me. 3x BB ties, Zegna, Etro ties. Deadstock made in USA perf captoes from BB.

[​IMG]

15. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

16. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Gotta ask....did you overpay? lol.

17. silverwarebandit

I'm guessing the $1 was for an XXXXL they just couldn't get rid of. I saw that shirt the other day, didn't even realize the buttons were MoP and I was thinking about getting it :D

18. eazye

eazye Well-Known Member

Nope, I took in a bunch of stuff to sell, so I came out on top! :nodding:

19. AndroFan

AndroFan Well-Known Member

You're always my favorite.

1 person likes this.
  20. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

X post from unofficial trading page and :spam: - lite:

I've been offered a decent (by retail standards) deal on 3 NWOT Jack Spade messenger bags by someone who, I believe, works for the company. Not something I need, and a bit pricey at $100 each. If anyone wants a proxy, let me know.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.