• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^That is the BR before it was bought by Gap. Was like Willis and Geiger. All of its catalogues are online so year can be found easily but I do not have the link. Someone else might have. Good, very high quality stuff. I have an Akubra hat from them.

Sartro

Reaction score
I'll look for those catalogs, thanks a lot. :)

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

yes its woman's, but none of the mens cuts are too flattering , so the woman's cut might be more slimming.

If it buttons the same way a men's would, it could very well be a boy's. IIRC, a boy's size 16.

Thanks guys, its huge - like a 28" p2p....

Finally walked out of the store with something today, after a nearly 2 week dry spell.

Found this interesting, never saw a pair of shells with a visible Horween stamp on the leather. Alden for BB Loafers

Pretty cool right.

+1 show us more... the horween stamp is a rare treat that people look for

Please contribute that pic here :

http://www.styleforum.net/t/272232/horween-tannery-shell-cordovan-stamp-Appreciation

b1627f65_SpooSignal.gif

Fake, right?

Confirmed fake.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got this a bit back, forgot to post it - N/A...pure bragging as it's going to a homie. This thing is absolute ****. Pure wool, feels like silk, all the bells & whistles.

Towers

Reaction score

yes, if you like shetland wool sweaters

I think the one I passed on was a cotton knit, was definitely a lord jeff though.

some quick pickups today;

is that d&g legit? it has a really hefty feel to it but I've not handled one of their ties before.

pretty much all available.

Last edited:

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Found a Hugo Boss overcoat in Loro Piana 85 wool / 15 cashmere. Black (I think, the buttons appeared to be navy). Tried it on. Fits like a glove, but I just don't know when I'll ever need it out here, and it was $40. Forgot to photograph the internal tag, hadn't seen it before. No clue on country of origin. Bonehead move to leave that?

Also left a Paul Stuart trench coat / rain coat. Tag said made in italy for PS... Size 50 (assuming IT sizing). Was in the womens section with the belt cinched in so narrow you'd never know it was a mans coat. Had sort of a, not rubbery feel, but maybe slightly rubbery. Needed a cleaning... Also boneheaded to leave? Forget what they wanted for it.

Reason for leaving that stuff- I was lugging an older but perfectly awesome manfrotto tripod/head combo around that came out on a cart for... $20. I saw the head peeking out from the carrying bag that it came with and immediately recognized the hexagon quick-release plate. **** eating grinch grin curled up on my face as I checked it out. Going to clean it up before I take some pics, and I'm not sure if I am going to offer it up or not. Always handy to have a second set of sticks for things like shooting meteor showers, especially now that I have 2 cameras to shoot with. Plus I don't even want to know what it'd cost to ship.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^That is the BR before it was bought by Gap. Was like Willis and Geiger. All of its catalogues are online so year can be found easily but I do not have the link. Someone else might have. Good, very high quality stuff. I have an Akubra hat from them.

Never seen that label before, though. Is it a bridge between 1980s BR and current day, or older than that?

Mox C

Reaction score
Picked up two pair of Nettletons in my size for $5 each. On pair is some Blake stitched brown loafers that aren't worth posting a photo of (and I'll probably give to my brother), but the other is a pair of good quality monk's straps.

While cleaning them, I noticed a few places where the black polish was worn away, exposing some green underneath. Is it normal to dye shoes something else than black if they are going to be polished black?

Since I don't really need another pair of black shoes but would like a pair of monks, I'm thinking I'll clean off all the old black polish and see if I can work some other colors in there. The green is dark so there will be only so much I can do, but hey, I can always cover it with black again if I don't like it.

BTW, I cleaned out the Pittsford Marshalls of their Pantherella socks, what little they had. I wasn't sure about sizing, but it turns out only one pair will fit me. I have five pair of Large if anyone wears size 11.5-13 shoes and wants a pair before I return them. $8.50 each plus actual shipping.

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a HSM top coat today with a label that said designed by Christian Dior. ??? Didn't kop because of price and size (it was too small) but I suspect this will make it through the cycle and be available for a reasonable price. I've never heard of a CD-HSM collaberation. This coat had lots of pick stitching, a hook vent and an old union label, so it's definitely from back in the day. No fabric content listed, but feels like cashmere.

But back to my question: Anyone heard of CD-HSM getting together?

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found a well timed fart can have the same effect for at least a minute or so.

HAhaha! Tired and true!

Grabbed this Banana Republic jacket with an awesome lining. Anybody able to share some extra information, such as the approximate year this might have come from? I couldn't find much when searching for "Banana Republic" and "Adventure Outfitters". Is the latter a clothing store that sold BR goods? Or, hell, is there a specific term for this type of jacket? I'm a computer nerd; I don't know nothin' 'bout no outdoors!

http://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/banana-republic/

CesarC

Reaction score
I was lugging an older but perfectly awesome manfrotto tripod/head combo around that came out on a cart for... $20. I saw the head peeking out from the carrying bag that it came with and immediately recognized the hexagon quick-release plate. **** eating grinch grin curled up on my face as I checked it out. Going to clean it up before I take some pics, and I'm not sure if I am going to offer it up or not. Always handy to have a second set of sticks for things like shooting meteor showers, especially now that I have 2 cameras to shoot with. Plus I don't even want to know what it'd cost to ship.

Dayum. That is pretty awesome. I've never seen any photo equipment like that before in a thrift store, nicely done! In case you don't end up keeping it, hit me up! Glad to get it off your hands...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads