• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A rarity here, some awesome Brooks Brothers glasses. Frame was made in Italy and the clip-on sunglasses were a gold color with some ornate details. I handled them in a rush, but I didn't see them stamped as gold or anything. I really liked the frames, though they may be women's (?), and I thought about getting them and replacing the lenses with sunglasses. However, I don't wear contacts or glasses. How expensive, assuming it should be possible, would it be to have non-prescription sunglass (tinted) lenses made for these? Cost prohibitive? I wasn't sure if the clip-on lenses would be the exact size that I'd need.

SPOILER]
bounce2.gif
Those glasses are killer! I would rock the sh*t out of those, although I actually need glasses. Not sure how you feel about the whole fake glasses craze. If you can make them into sunglasses they would be stellar.

Nice find!

Last edited:

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Public schools in my district aren't great, but there are a few Montessori/magnet schools that are on par with the best in the state. Unfortunately, admission is first come, first serve. On the plus side, I only have to go brought this process for her first year there.

I've had co-workers who have had to do this. We're in Covington and the test scores that came out rated the district as the worst in the state of Kentucky. We had our son in private school in NKY, but we switched him to private in Cincinnati for this school year.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw a coupla flippers today at GW. Had a cart overflowing with shoes as they cut a wide swath through the store. No one, including me (and I tried), could get within 30 feet of them because they had body odor the likes of which I never dreamed possible. Next stop was a Salvation Army, where I found a Bean Norwegian sweater, but they had obviously been there, too: The smell was still thick in the air, although they were nowhere in sight. Then I went to another GW, and I knew they were there as soon as I opened the door. It was beyond rank. I like to think that I have a pretty strong stomach, but there was just no way to cope with these guys. Other shoppers were moving away from them as they went through the aisles--they had an entire side of the store to themselves. I don't know if this is a new technique, but if you want to keep the competition at bay, don't bathe. Ever. That's what this smelled like. The cashier should've gotten combat pay. It was bad enough that I cut short my shopping trip and left, and I never, ever do that, no matter what.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have this exact suit here,half canvassed made by Cantarelli I believe.

This suit is made by Gruppo GFT.

Yeah. This particular label says it right on there. Some don't, but this is def. GFT era. Don't get me wrong; I have a GFT-era Val (one of my last holdovers from my GFT days) and I enjoy wearing it.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Saw a coupla flippers today at GW. Had a cart overflowing with shoes as they cut a wide swath through the store. No one, including me (and I tried), could get within 30 feet of them because they had body odor the likes of which I never dreamed possible. Next stop was a Salvation Army, where I found a Bean Norwegian sweater, but they had obviously been there, too: The smell was still thick in the air, although they were nowhere in sight. Then I went to another GW, and I knew they were there as soon as I opened the door. It was beyond rank. I like to think that I have a pretty strong stomach, but there was just no way to cope with these guys. Other shoppers were moving away from them as they went through the aisles--they had an entire side of the store to themselves. I don't know if this is a new technique, but if you want to keep the competition at bay, don't bathe. Ever. That's what this smelled like. The cashier should've gotten combat pay. It was bad enough that I cut short my shopping trip and left, and I never, ever do that, no matter what.

I think it is indeed a tactic used. I've talked about doing it (jokingly). It works. Very well, I might add.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I passed Evisu (ugly but selvedge) and Edwin jeans (small, not selvedge, huh) . I passed a cashmere Aquascutum overcoat, perfect fit but 40 bucks and not needed. Southwick suit, motheaten, an Isaia way old orphan, green tag. It's slim pickings overall, not worth the time at all. Somebody in the know must have been working my area.

shadesofbeige

Reaction score
I've had co-workers who have had to do this. We're in Covington and the test scores that came out rated the district as the worst in the state of Kentucky. We had our son in private school in NKY, but we switched him to private in Cincinnati for this school year.
Small world, I just wrote an essay for an Art History exam last week on this painting

Duncanson's View of Cincinnati, OH from Covington, KY (1851)

ahk11

Reaction score
I think it is indeed a tactic used. I've talked about doing it (jokingly). It works. Very well, I might add.

I've found a well timed fart can have the same effect for at least a minute or so.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Election day thrift fit

J Press Hopsack navy blazer, thrifted by me
Banana Republic sweater
Robert Talbott Carmel shirt, thrifted by me
E. Zegna cords, from eBay
AE Strands, bought from a guy on another forum for like 1/2 retail
I voted today sticker, priceless

ocooney

Reaction score
Hit the Church thrift store around the corner from my house that is only open two days a week.

Found these:
New. $15 for both pair. 9.5 narrow.
Available if they'll work for your significant other. Or you. No judgment.

Needs a tune up, but couldn't let it sit on the rack.
Spoken for.

Cheers
O

thriftydood

Reaction score
The stitching on the Hermes tag looks way off, the tag itself looks iffy, and I've never seen a possibly unlined Hermes, with what looks like a handrolled tip. In fact, if the tie was the right width and size, I might have picked it up anyway (unless it was priced as an Hermes tie) because there might be a decent tie hiding underneath that fake label.

b1627f65_SpooSignal.gif

Fake, right?

Is this anything worth picking up? How does somewhat dated Boss do on Ebay?

Sartro

Reaction score
Grabbed this Banana Republic jacket with an awesome lining. Anybody able to share some extra information, such as the approximate year this might have come from? I couldn't find much when searching for "Banana Republic" and "Adventure Outfitters". Is the latter a clothing store that sold BR goods? Or, hell, is there a specific term for this type of jacket? I'm a computer nerd; I don't know nothin' 'bout no outdoors!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads