• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Finally walked out of the store with something today, after a nearly 2 week dry spell.

Found this interesting, never saw a pair of shells with a visible Horween stamp on the leather. Alden for BB Loafers

Pretty cool right.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Awesome!

Looks like it fits really well!

A couple of passes today...

A 100% cashmere grey jacket. It was made for a chain of high-end men's stores that closed last year. I don't know the name and all I could find out was that it was registered to the store. It's made in Portugal and is well made, if I remember correctly, hand sewn buttonholes. Size EU52 (I believe). It was €20, which I know isn't cheap, but I'd have happily paid that if it were my size as I want something like it.

A rarity here, some awesome Brooks Brothers glasses. Frame was made in Italy and the clip-on sunglasses were a gold color with some ornate details. I handled them in a rush, but I didn't see them stamped as gold or anything. I really liked the frames, though they may be women's (?), and I thought about getting them and replacing the lenses with sunglasses. However, I don't wear contacts or glasses. How expensive, assuming it should be possible, would it be to have non-prescription sunglass (tinted) lenses made for these? Cost prohibitive? I wasn't sure if the clip-on lenses would be the exact size that I'd need.

/IMG/SPOILER]

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quick question for you Filson experts - if a jacket is tagged a 16, is that certainly womens? It looks like mens, but Im not sure. The model number is 83W, if that helps...

If it buttons the same way a men's would, it could very well be a boy's. IIRC, a boy's size 16.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A rarity here, some awesome Brooks Brothers glasses. Frame was made in Italy and the clip-on sunglasses were a gold color with some ornate details. I handled them in a rush, but I didn't see them stamped as gold or anything. I really liked the frames, though they may be women's (?), and I thought about getting them and replacing the lenses with sunglasses. However, I don't wear contacts or glasses. How expensive, assuming it should be possible, would it be to have non-prescription sunglass (tinted) lenses made for these? Cost prohibitive? I wasn't sure if the clip-on lenses would be the exact size that I'd need.

Those are awesome! I have yet to find any glasses -- sun or otherwise.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Those are awesome! I have yet to find any glasses -- sun or otherwise.

I've found a couple of pairs of nice glasses, but never anything (glasses or otherwise) by Brooks Brothers. I would have been all over them if i wore glasses. Any idea as to whether it's cheap enough to throw normal tinted lenses in them?

quotientspace

Reaction score
For personal consumption.
Found some holes, any advice? Seems like they could be embroidered to match stitching on the rest of the coat.

-Front pocket.

-Armpit.

-Elbow.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yep send them to goggles4u.com to get polarized lenses. cheap

Last edited:

Randomore

Reaction score
Didnt realize how much backlog thrifting finds I had in my car until I had to pull out armfulls at a time of goodwill/sa bags to get to my spare...

Wish I could thrift some tires...

quotientspace

Reaction score
Apologies for any poorly rotated images, I swear everything was right side up.

First, a horrible pair of blown out True Religion.

Zegna Sport

Some ladies jeans, anyone know anything about these Made in China, rainbow selvedge Levi's?

Citizens

True Religion? They feel pretty good and the strip looks legit.

Citizens

Gap Selvedge

Evisu #2

A random Icelandic sweater in the mix.

And a Scottish sweater.

Would someone be willing to PM me a brief rundown of trade/availability etiquette? I've been passing up a bunch of stuff (nicer than the stuff in this post) and I've got some things I'd like to get rid of.

Last edited:

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally walked out of the store with something today, after a nearly 2 week dry spell.

Found this interesting, never saw a pair of shells with a visible Horween stamp on the leather. Alden for BB Loafers

Pretty cool right.

I bid on a pair on eBay that had that stamp. But why the tease, can't we see the shoe itself? (And if it's a 10.5 B/D or 11 A, you could just box it up for me.)
fing02[1].gif

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. On the iPhone pics, try tapping on a lighter-colored portion like your shirt or face. It'll focus and adjust the exposure to the brightness of that area, and leave the cardigan dark. Then you can go in with an editor and bump up the brightness and contrast if it comes out too dark to see details.
Yeah, I did that on the last one with the overcoat, but didn't realize how bad the others were till I loaded them.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good lord, great find. $3.99!?!? You can't find used flip flops at San Diego goodwills for 3.99.

Oh yeah, there should be a dot between the 3 and the 9 on the price tag. No comments about the dirty carpet either- it's at work.
[/quote]

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bid on a pair on eBay that had that stamp. But why the tease, can't we see the shoe itself? (And if it's a 10.5 B/D or 11 A, you could just box it up for me.)
fing02%5B1%5D.gif

+1 show us more... the horween stamp is a rare treat that people look for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads