• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As a very general rule, any item of clothing that costs thousands of dollars new is a good thrift find. And Cucinelli is even better. I had the chance to handle some of his stuff at an outlet recently, and it is really incredible (and sadly way out of my price range even at sale prices).

I'm not sure whether this logic holds up. After all, Armani, Hugo Boss and many others cost a lot of money. You might get respect on here for how much money you're going to get when you flip them, but nobody's going to need a Robert Graham shirt to clean up the mess they've just made.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
I'm not sure whether this logic holds up. After all, Armani, Hugo Boss and many others cost a lot of money. You might get respect on here for how much money you're going to get when you flip them, but nobody's going to need a Robert Graham shirt to clean up the mess they've just made.

Robert Graham shirts don't cost thousands of dollars, though. Neither does Hugo Boss (pretty sure it's about the same price or even a little less than BB). And Armani... well, if I found a Giorgio Armani black label suit, I'd be pretty happy with my find.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point... Been thinking about this a bit lately. What's your list?

WTF are people thinking:
RG

Overrated / overpriced Brands:
Burberry
Hugo Boss
Armani
Zegna

Overpriced but awesome:
Cuccinelli
Kiton
Isaia
Brioni

Expensive but worth it:
Boglioli
Borrelli

Underrated or underpriced:
Canali
Barbour (somewhat expensive but not for the quality)
Hickey Freeman

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

WTF are people thinking:
RG

Burberry
Hugo Boss
Armani
Zegna

Overpriced but awesome:
Cuccinelli
Kiton
Isaia
Brioni

Expensive but worth it:
Boglioli
Borrelli

Canali
Hickey Freeman

zegna not overrated

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will remember to post pics tomorrow - too damn busy :brick:

Regarding Cucinelli - sorry folks, I do not know what the fuss is all about - I am being serious as well.

Excerpt from Life of Brian:

"But apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, viniculture, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"

In context of Cucinelli - "what have they ever done for menswear?"

Shirts - Average tosh....
Pants - Whatever .... (picked up a NWT pair the other day, nothing that special)
Sport Coats - OK, nothing to shout home about....
Outerwear - Good, Nice...
Sweaters - Very nice indeed...

I am just not crazy on them. They would not even make my top 20 of finds I would want in my wardrobe. They would be top 10 though for pure flipping.

DeadBoy

Reaction score

WTF are people thinking:
RG

Burberry
Hugo Boss
Armani
Zegna

Overpriced but awesome:
Cuccinelli
Kiton
Isaia
Brioni
SW&D

Expensive but worth it:
Boglioli
Borrelli

Canali
Hickey Freeman

My contribution. And I too must disagree about Zegna, especially the Couture stuff. Far and away some of the nicest stuff I've ever picked up.

Not like I'm paying full price for anything on that list though.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My contribution. And I too must disagree about Zegna, especially the Couture stuff. Far and away some of the nicest stuff I've ever picked up.

Not like I'm paying full price for anything on that list though.

Sure, their top-end stuff is up in the overpriced but awesome. The mainline stuff really isn't any better than HF though, even though it costs way more.

TemiCastro

Reaction score

WTF are people thinking:
RG

Burberry
Hugo Boss
Armani
Zegna

Overpriced but awesome:
Cuccinelli
Kiton
Isaia
Brioni

Expensive but worth it:
Boglioli
Borrelli

Canali
Hickey Freeman

where's Versace on that list, can only be subjective... one man's meat..

Mox C

Reaction score

DUUUUUDE

hit me up with those 38 shorts, please! Just to be clear, not actual shorts, but short jackets
shog%5B1%5D.gif

So short-shorts are out then? Oh, who wears short-shorts?

I have almost everything measured now. Next I have to take more photos. I know a couple people looking for 38S's.

Yeah..you do find some great suits with little tiny t-rex arms. Whats up with that?!

From looking at B&S, 22.5-23.5 seems to be in the ballpark for 38S. Is that really that short?
('Course now I have a t-rex in my head wearing a Harris Tweed jacket and 80's gym shorts singing a commercial, which means it's time for bed.)

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, why can't I give Oxxford Clothes stuff away? Even on ebay it's a tough sell. I've pretty much stopped picking them up unless they are totally spectacular. What gives?

Got anything in 40s?

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Campbell

Reaction score
Hi there guys,

I live in New Zealand and don't really find much as the city I live in relatively small and there isn't a lot of nice clothing around but thought I'd try and post some things of note here I found recently. Sorry for the low quality photos I don't have a camera and have only just worked out how to upload things from my phone.

From left to right:

Lanvin, Holliday and Brown specially re-eddited for PRADA 7 fold, Valentino, Burton Premier Collection and lastly, Ermenegildo Zegna.

All of the ties are in exceptional condition which I was pleased about!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads