• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

valium

Reaction score
i find the same thing with gene meyer ties,i had one that sold for $200 once (it had button design on it in red) and the same brand in other patterns i got like $50.also Pancaldi ties are liek that ,the Art Deco ones go for a lot,the rest not so much
ben silver ties are weird. I've had some sell for a ton of money, and some sell for not much at all. I think there are certain people out there who basically collect the rep ties and find the ones they don't make any more to be pretty desirable.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
spam[1].gif
Finally measured up my haul from Friday (these: http://www.styleforum.net/t/9006/th...ount-store-bragging-thread/31095#post_5345379) and since a bunch of people PM'd me I'll post here

Hickey Freeman Ltd 48L, 3 button

Shoulders: 20.5"
Back from the BOC: 33.5"
Pit to pit: 25"
Waist: 23.5"
Sleeve: 26.5"

Pants waist: 19.5"
Inseam: 31" + 3.5" to be let out
Pleats: 2
Cuff: 1.5"

HF Collection 48L, charcoal flannel with gold chalkstipe

Shoulders: 20"
Back from the BOC: 32.5"
Pit to pit: 25"
Waist: 24"
Sleeve: 26.25"

Pants waist: 19.25"
Inseam: 31" + 3.5" to be let out

HF Customized grey glenplaid... really nice with pick stitching on the lapels, pockets, etc

Shoulders: 20.25"
Back from the BOC: 33"
Pit to pit: 24"
Waist: 23.5"
Sleeve: 26.5"

Pants waist: 19.5"
Inseam: 31" + 4" to be let out

HF Collection 46L

Shoulders: 19.75"
Pit to pit: 25.5"
Waist: 24.25"
Sleeve: 27"

Pants waist: 21"
Inseam: 31" + 4" to be let out

HF Loro Piana 100% cashmere houndstooth SC

Back from the BOC: 34"
Pit to pit: 24"
Waist: 23"
Sleeve: 27"

Ermengildo Zegna Soft 56EU

Pit to pit: 23"
Waist: 21.5"
Sleeve: 26"

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

got an offer of $1500 for the Bang olufsen system,what do you guys think...to sell or not to sell?
the way i see it is i will see $1500 again but i wont see a system like that again. 

What happened to that night shot?

i find the same thing with gene meyer ties,i had one that sold for $200 once

Same here, I thought it was going to go for 5 at most :lol:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ben silver ties are weird. I've had some sell for a ton of money, and some sell for not much at all. I think there are certain people out there who basically collect the rep ties and find the ones they don't make any more to be pretty desirable.

Yeah.....that's probably right. Just like Hermes and VV ties - certain styles and models get major $$.

got an offer of $1500 for the Bang olufsen system,what do you guys think...to sell or not to sell?
the way i see it is i will see $1500 again but i wont see a system like that again. 

To me, that would be a trophy find. Do you have the room and space to display it? If so, keep it. It could be one of those things down the line that you'll regret selling due to to it's scarcity.

Last edited:

valium

Reaction score
will post that night shot as soon as i set it up back at the house.i dont wanna transport it right now because i dont wanna damage it.my van basically looks like my storage unit inside lol.**** everywhere.
speaking of gene Meyer,i once found a SC by him,didnt even know he made them,i knew he made sweaters as well.rare stuff generally,i see it maybe once every six months.

What happened to that night shot?
Same here, I thought it was going to go for 5 at most
lol8[1].gif

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sell it. Use the money to buy a better quality system. As we've discussed, nothing can touch B&O in the aesthetics department, but there is much better stuff out there when it comes to audio quality. In the end, it depends on your priorities. Mine would be what is best for my ears.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would keep it. Though the extra money is nice, the main reason most of us thrift is because we enjoy treasure hunting and finding cool stuff for ourselves. You've found a treasure; you should hold onto it and enjoy it.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Take the cash, change your phone number after the sale and laugh all the way to the bank. It doesn't matter what it once was. You can only pass so much electricity through the circuits before it reaches the end of its life. Sell it while it still works or you'll end up with a white elephant in your living room.

Last edited:

valium

Reaction score
Sell it. Use the money to buy a better quality system. As we've discussed, nothing can touch B&O in the aesthetics department, but there is much better stuff out there when it comes to audio quality. In the end, it depends on your priorities. Mine would be what is best for my ears.

yeah,im more impressed and lusting after that cabinet its actually the most valuable part of the system because of its rarity (its the biggest one they made of 4) .i can sell of the components for 500 and throw in my way superior Thorens and Marantz in that case,but this guy wants the whole shebang to relive his glory days (he had one and then sold it) i think i might tell him to get over it and just sell the electronics to him or online and keep that bad boy.**** it even fits my brand new samsung Aquos with the aluminum trim perfectly at 54 inches.thanks for the input guys.

valium

Reaction score
always the optimist
Take the cash, change your phone number after the sale and laugh all the way to the bank. It doesn't matter what it once was. You can only pass so much electricity through the circuits before it reaches the end of its life. Sell it while it still works or you'll end up with a white elephant in your living room.

darkmatter7

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

+1

I'm currently rocking PSB Bookshelfs, an HRT DAC (the most important piece), one of Velodyne's higher end subs (forgot the model), and an old Denon receiver. It kicks ass. Total cost to me was $175. (If you couldn't tell, audio has been a hobby of mine much longer than thrifting)

Anyways... my point is... Take the $1500 (or more if you wait on it), build a nicer sounding system on the cheap, and pocket the money. Just my $.02

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone willing to help me out with this?

Went on an all day spree with toscano_adottato today. A few notables.

First off, can I get some help authenticating this Stefano Ricci tie? What threw me for a loop is the somewhat gaudy gold lettering in the name, and the fact that there's no content label at all. Otherwise, it seems pretty good quality. It's definitely printed silk, and the silk has some weight to it. I didn't/wouldn't think Ricci ties are popular enough to be faked, but stranger things have happened. Anyone feel free to chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads