• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmmurdock

Reaction score

PRL and yes those lapels are 5" wide....and clearly not my find.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

That Armani is actually kind of cool and in my size.

It's available :fonz:

The girl in line behind me was grabbing the sleeve saying she liked it as the cashier was ringing it up... while she was with her boyfriend who was buying a sport coat :lol:

GoogleMyYahoo

Reaction score
It's available
fing02[1].gif

The girl in line behind me was grabbing the sleeve saying she liked it as the cashier was ringing it up... while she was with her boyfriend who was buying a sport coat
lol8[1].gif

she wants to secs you
sly.gif

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, hit up an old haunt before coming back from vacation. My first time in a thrift store in years, felt good to be back :laugh:
Came back with a few questions...
Awesome corduroy pants embroidered with ducks - construction is top notch, but the only label I see is the one below. Any clue? Damn shame these are too big on me, I love them.
bd8c13a4.jpg

7f1b4429.jpg

Then, this great Gitman Bros. plaid short sleeved shirt in XXL:
0c6c20e3.jpg

Last, a gorgeous Brooks Brothers recent tweed jacket, but I never saw a comp label like this one - was it MTM?
2be00461.jpg

Also a pair of articulated shoe trees by Johnston & Murphy, gold knobs, $4.99.
Everything is available (except the trees)

This is correct to see - Spoo thrifting. Please keep it up broski.

Although I am a little out of thrifting action at the moment due to 200mile daily commutes, I read this thread whenever I can.

Glad to see Spoomeister hitting the action, look forward to seeing some insanely high end stuff you scored in the wild.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i may help you with this one,happened to me when shipped to Holland.so when you ship express the regular post doesnt deliver it over there,i think DHL does.so what happens is the two systems arent in sync and there is a (jet) lag.in my case after the customer picked something up i think it took like a week to finally show up on my end (canada post) i know you use USPS but its the same thing,one is a govt machine and the other a private company.hope that helps and thats what it is.   

thanks frenchy and spoo. I guess I will give it a few more days then go to the post office and see what they tell me. Or maybe I'll try their 800 number. If they aren't going to give me proof of delivery, I better at least get my shipping costs refunded.

s_allen_p

Reaction score
I provided ties for some Pinterest themed easter egg decorating. It's seems to have been enough of an internet hit that I don't think I need to explain. I'm not ashamed to admit that the Christian Dior ties were part of one of my fist posts to the thread.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have been catching as catch can on my handheld over the last couple of days while spending time in the doghouse. Much more I've wanted to react to, but for now, this will have to do:

Today
Hickey Freeman. 43L

Is that an SC or a full suit? Been looking for a decent quality blue windowpane/glenplaid suit for a while. That might be slightly more vtg than I'm looking for, but figured I'd ask.

Awesome corduroy pants embroidered with ducks - construction is top notch, but the only label I see is the one below. Any clue? Damn shame these are too big on me, I love them.

Spoo back thrifting? I think you live near me. :cloud: Wait, maybe I could do a meetup and actually LEARN something. :slayer: Anywhoo, I want to say those look like the size tag for a couple of LL Bean pants I have. Would be consistent with the style. Can say as I'm certain, though, since I don't have them with me. But 36 could work for me. They brown or green? Will PM....

Finally, re: Catside's comment re: fleas and lice in thrifted clothes: What's the consensus on how common/fixable this is? I generally keep everything in my car trunk until I can get it dry cleaned. Stuff I sell I generally don't clean on the assumption that the buyer will need to (since it's all folded up and will need pressing) (Is this wrong?). Stuff I buy for me, I clean more or less immediately. Has anyone found this insufficient? I swear, one infestation will put a swift end to either my thrifting or my marriage (possibly both).

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stopped at a Brooks Brothers outlet today. Picked up a cool Madison sport coat. $298 with 70 percent off...out the door for $92

Pictures of the sport coat I picked up...finally got an iPhone and wanted to try the camera out.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have been catching as catch can on my handheld over the last couple of days while spending time in the doghouse. Much more I've wanted to react to, but for now, this will have to do:
Is that an SC or a full suit? Been looking for a decent quality blue windowpane/glenplaid suit for a while. That might be slightly more vtg than I'm looking for, but figured I'd ask.
Spoo back thrifting? I think you live near me. :cloud: Wait, maybe I could do a meetup and actually LEARN something. :slayer: Anywhoo, I want to say those look like the size tag for a couple of LL Bean pants I have. Would be consistent with the style. Can say as I'm certain, though, since I don't have them with me. But 36 could work for me. They brown or green? Will PM....
Finally, re: Catside's comment re: fleas and lice in thrifted clothes: What's the consensus on how common/fixable this is? I generally keep everything in my car trunk until I can get it dry cleaned. Stuff I sell I generally don't clean on the assumption that the buyer will need to (since it's all folded up and will need pressing) (Is this wrong?). Stuff I buy for me, I clean more or less immediately. Has anyone found this insufficient? I swear, one infestation will put a swift end to either my thrifting or my marriage (possibly both).

If the item is really dirty, I send it to the dry cleaners before I even get home. Most other things I just try to get to as soon as possible. I go to some dirty ass spots but have never had a problem. My wife however claims (jokingly) that our house has thrift mites from all the stuff I bring home:)

workthatwedo

Reaction score
15 35 is my size. After I tried to give you for free a shirt that had shrunk to not fit me, forgive me if I don't pick up anymore.
smile.gif

hmm when I see the words "too small" or "shrunk" my ear perk up...what size are you to start with? I'd never leave a good Brioni shirt on the rack no matter the size. Someone here will want to trade you something for it
fing02%5B1%5D.gif

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

:laugh:

I don't have time to get back in the game while home - that was on vacation with some time to kill. I can't say it didn't reignite the fire though! Thanks for the info on the pants, PM replied.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
15 35 is my size. After I tried to give you for free a shirt that had shrunk to not fit me, forgive me if I don't pick up anymore.
smile.gif

Quote:
1) Your not really busting my balls for not accepting your free shirt that would have been too big for me, are you
puzzled.gif
There are plently of people here it would have fit so I thought it would have found a good home (better then sitting in the bottom of my draw) I think my reply was something like:

Quote:

2) BIG BIG difference between a Victorinox shirt (which was offered) and a Brioni shirt (left on the rack).

All I was saying is that if you come across Brioni, Isaia, Kiton, etc (The TOP brands), I would pick them up if they are in good condition as I'm sure it will fit someone here.

Happy Easter

workthatwedo

Reaction score
Yes, I was busting your balls for just that but my
smile.gif
made it all OK.

1) Your not really busting my balls for not accepting your free shirt that would have been too big for me, are you
puzzled.gif
There are plently of people here it would have fit so I thought it would have found a good home (better then sitting in the bottom of my draw) I think my reply was something like:

2) BIG BIG difference between a Victorinox shirt (which was offered) and a Brioni shirt (left on the rack).

All I was saying is that if you come across Brioni, Isaia, Kiton, etc (The TOP brands), I would pick them up if they are in good condition as I'm sure it will fit someone here.

Happy Easter

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:lol: Fleas are not natural human parasites. Sorry. Lice only human to human close contact. Sorry about that, too. It was a metaphor. Do not hug and kiss people in thrift stores, though.
Bedbugs do not survive long enough without feeding on blood so while you can get it from hotel beds or sitting on a chair that was sat by a bedbuggy clothed person very near afterwards you can probably not get it from thrifted clothes. Fungi is a different story they will survive in spores. Antiseptic spray on all used shoes, or bowling alley shoes etc. will take care of that. Two applications within a week, lysol or generic is more than sufficient.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't believe the lack of love for Jil Sander, LOL! $450 shirt, LOL! I thought I won the internet, LOL!

j/k. Back to the drawing board.
I will best you yet, darkmatter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads