• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsparker

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm brand new to the forum as well as style. When I'm thrifting what brands should I keep an eye out for? Is there a guide already written on this?

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello all. I'm brand new to the forum as well as style. When I'm thrifting what brands should I keep an eye out for? Is there a guide already written on this?

This thread is the guide - enjoy the read.

Welcome to styleforum, and to the thrifting addiction.

Last edited:

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WGP, I can't send out PM's right now for some reason. Did you get the one I sent back? I am interested in both, feel free to send me prices!

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WGP I tried PM'ing you back, let me know if it worked.

If you want to send me your email that would work to. I seem able to receive PM's but not send them :confused:

MattR

Reaction score

A couple of people were curious to see pictures of the Brooks Brothers casual jacket I mentioned last week. I went back and decided to buy it, so here it is. Looking over it, I think it must be NWOT. Being the end/beginning of the year, I've seen quite a few things that were obviously donated by retailers for a tax break. This was one of those, I think. Planning to keep.

That is solid. Great find!

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to my local Marshall's and found nothing. There was a BB navy pinstripe 42R SC (orphan?) and a BB gray, light blue pinstripe 48L suit though. However, I think they were priced at $350+ and are unlikely to move.

Last edited:

hmmurdock

Reaction score

This thread is the guide - enjoy the read.
Welcome to styleforum, and to the thrifting addiction.

Well worth reading the entire thread if only to see the epic Frenchy vs. Man of Lint arguements.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Last edited:

vexco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also new here(newly registered, at least) but I've read the entire thread over the past month or so...you guys have some really sick finds. My little section of south carolina is so barren for good things but I really enjoy digging and looking. Trying to mature my wardrobe and this thread has gone a long way to making that happen so thanks!

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been crazy since last week so I haven't posted. Nothing notable thrift wise. I did get to briefly meet up with WGP Saturday and we traded some items. For anyone in the 43 to 45 range....WGP has a couple really nice heavy overcoats he is looking to move. He also has this funky Harris Tweed overcoat/barn jacket (not sure what it is but it's very cool) that I seriously considered taking off his hands.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Went to my local Marshall's and found nothing. There was a BB navy pinstripe 42R SC (orphan?) and a BB gray, light blue pinstripe 48L suit though. However, I think they were priced at $350+ and are unlikely to move.

I saw BB at the Nordstrom rack over the w/e...the prices weren't very good. $39.99 for the ties you see at TJ Maxx in the $15.00 range.

LooknGr8

Reaction score
we have a bunch of Racks that just opened up (I work with someone who used to work in distribution for a vendor who supplied Racks, and she says they open in pairs and threes at minimum, but love fives and sixes in a region) in Boston area...I find their prices more than Syms but there are some major bargains if you watch the clearance rack closely (Santoni pants, ties, etc...but...just clearance...the rest is outlet or worse prices)

Last edited:

LooknGr8

Reaction score
also...is it just my neck of the woods, or can you all pick off decent BB ties at thrifts for $2-$5 any day of the week (i.e. you leave ties behind that you'd either never wear or have in similar colors/patterns already?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads