• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That definitely looks different from the one I found. I'd vote for wrong content tag too. It's a mystery.

Yeah, who knows. Thanks for your comments, guys. :)

Just came out of the store again. A few new bits out.

Left:
nwt ems of masons pants, they wanted 12.50 and they seem to be one of those nice brands that doesn't sell.
Another polo rl italy jacket with no pants and bold pattern

Pickups:
Those Isaia pants - striped, not windowpane, but the colors are awesome. Sadly they had no more jackets in the back so the jacket probably went to another store.
Lands end harris tweed
Zegna wool/cashmere tie
A different canals proposta side vented suit that was put out cheaper
And an edwin nazario by cariso super 150s sc. The suit ws gone. :brick:

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, who knows. Thanks for your comments, guys. :)
Left:
nwt ems of masons pants, they wanted 12.50 and they seem to be one of those nice brands that doesn't sell.
Pickups:
Those Isaia pants - striped, not windowpane, but the colors are awesome. Sadly they had no more jackets in the back so the jacket probably went to another store.
Lands end harris tweed
Zegna wool/cashmere tie
And an edwin nazario by cariso super 150s sc. The suit ws gone. :brick:

Why did you leave the PRL made in Italy jacket? Was it striped or windowpane? I love the PRL Corneliani stuff. If it would work as a SC and was close to a 42/44 let me know!

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That definitely looks different from the one I found. I'd vote for wrong content tag too. It's a mystery.

Why did you leave the PRL made in Italy jacket? Was it striped or windowpane? I love the PRL Corneliani stuff. If it would work as a SC and was close to a 42/44 let me know!

Because it was black with gigantic gold stripes... ;)

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
Yeah, who knows. Thanks for your comments, guys.
smile.gif

Left:
Pickups:
Lands end harris tweed
Zegna wool/cashmere tie
And an edwin nazario by cariso super 150s sc. The suit ws gone.
baldy[1].gif

just curious what kind of a store is this regular GW/SA or like a privately owned Thrift? The amount of stuff from one visit to this store is astonishing.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score

I'm assuming you are talking about ebay selling stuff? I mostly just look for MC stuff. The stores I went to downtown had an insane amount of records. One in particular, it would have taken a day to go through all of them I'm thinking. I never thought to check for those nice levis (big E) but I should.
Anything in particular you like? I have no problem proxying for you if you give me your size/an idea of what you look for. My wife is always begging me to go to the thrift stores, but usually the best piece I find is a JC Penny brand shirt so I lost hope :fu:
Have you been to the "Goodwill Reserve" downtown?

I actually don't sell on ebay. I tend to sell mostly on the forums, (superfuture,styleforum) and etsy. Outside of shoes I never look at MC stuff ever. I don't own/wear suits, I look through ties occasionally but so often here they are just in a bin. If a place has them hung up I will look through them. I tend to usually just look for workwear (vintage penneys,Wrangler,Levis,Lee, Red Wing, etc) and then 'Americana' I guess is what I'd describe the rest of what I look for as.

and it's down right awful in Des Moines. Apparently there's never been any "higher" end quality stuff sold here in town.
If I find a Harris Tweed jacket, I've got a stiffy. Have not found one tie in all my thrifting worth buying either.

I went thrifting in Iowa City (which is kind of close to Des Moines, right?) and it was decent.

Isn't there a BB in town? I know it's not the best, but I would think a BBGF would trickle down eventually.
Then again, we have the second richest man in the world in town, and I still can't find anything :brick:

You do realize that Buffett wears notoriously cheap suits, and drives a Corolla... there is no 'trickle down' in Omaha.

-rF

Manofstyle85

Reaction score
IMO if its a nice, good condition and the buttons arnt crap, Harris Tweed's sell on eBay decently (if its a 36S send me a PM), but just dont expect to make $80 flipping it unless you want to sit on it for months. Take your quick $20-40 and be happy. When I pick them up they are $3-7 and you really can't lose money flipping a nice Harris Tweed in that price range.

I sold one for $177 on ebay, bought it for $2

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
How could that possibly be true?

^^ I didn't believe it at first but I looked up "Harris Tweed" in the Sportcoats listings. Completed listings show these going for insane prices. Vintage HT jackets going for $152 with 42 bids! What the hell....

Plenty of cheap ones too though, it all depends on the pattern, and the way you advertise it (pics)

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^ I didn't believe it at first but I looked up "Harris Tweed" in the Sportcoats listings. Completed listings show these going for insane prices. Vintage HT jackets going for $152 with 42 bids! What the hell....

A gq article probably talked about how great tweed is :laugh:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A good tweed can easily fetch that. If it was a **** Evan Piccone or something I could understand but a good one like a BB or a vintage British one can get that price

Post a link so we can judge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads