• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a significant difference between a pro thrifter and a hobbyist. You guys are pro's, I commend you.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Never found a Ferretii before, so couldn't have been me. Perhaps it's a raw silk tie? I've seen ties that stated 100% Pure silk, but feel like polyester. These are usually older (1980s's and prior), can't figure that one out either.
Also, what size is the MB suit? I might be interested in that and possibly the Isaia. I don't wear suits much anymore, but wouldn't mind having a nice, solid color staple suit in my wardrobe.

Hrmm, maybe I'll have to do some searching. Raw silk is all "slubby" I thought? This definitely has "protruding long hairs" kind of like you see from a silk/cashmere blend or something like that. Not "frizzy" like wool, definitely soft. Who knows. I'll probably keep it anyway. Also noticed the Isaia tie is really interesting - turn it one way and it appears blue, turn it the other way and it appears red. Almost definitely keeping that one.

Nat, I'll PM you about those two suits once I get back to Ohio - probably be Tuesday before I manage it.

jkidd, yeah, I would say it beats Cbus and the Nati! Not sure why, but when I'm down here visiting family I always seem to come up with something. Plenty of disappointment down here though - I hit literally every thrift in Winston-Salem HARD one day a year or so ago and came out with next to nothing. Just random luck of the draw, I think. And yes, I'm super psyched to find my first Isaia. Hell, *every damn thing I picked up today* except the Zanella pants is the first time I've ever seen that brand on that item in a thrift.

BTW, I really like that Etro jacket. It's not something I'd ever WEAR I don't think, but it blends "traditionally awesome" with "fashion-forward" in a really interesting way.

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
Ohh man... Omaha has some of the best thrifting ever. I'd fill up my tank with 12-15$ worth of gas and cruise around. I love Thrift World, the one downtown is the best.
I also like the goodwill on ... 84th near 80.
And of course all the thrifting in La-Vista,Papillion,etc.
I am jealous.
Lincoln is where it's at in terms of thrifting. O street, holy **** man, holy **** there is so much stuff. Not to mention up near Wesleyan... them's my stompin grounds. I probably passed up more stuff in Lincoln than any place else. The thrifting is just so good. It's also an epic garage sale town.
I probably should care giving away all of these 'secrets', except I know less than 1% of folks on styleforum have any idea the places I am talking about.

SF approved stuff or ebay flip stuff?

woolnotmutton

Reaction score
Forgot about this, but last night I saw an Oxxford hanger. A rather OLD Oxxford hanger. I left it there, didn't want to hassle with trading for what's essentially a plain wood hanger with a sticker:

Ooookay.... one store today. But what a doozy. I hesitate to use the phrase "my best haul ever" because I don't want to limit myself... but I think this is it so far. I took *three and a half hours* and touched every single rack in the store, including boys AND girls... missed most of a family luncheon and my wife was LIVID until I showed her the stuff - then she was just mildly annoyed.
wink.gif

Here's what I had in my cart and LEFT BEHIND (as best as I can remember anyway - I agonized over some of these decisions):
RL Made in Italy jacket, didn't even look for the pants - had a bit of "slubby silk" look on the back in a couple of spots
Versace Versus jacket - I'm pretty sure genuine - but the sleeve buttons were all torn off, though the center one was left. Who DOES that?!
Missoni Made in Italy suit - not very "loud" and it was a bit pricey.
Recent John Varvatos Made in Italy grey pinstripe jacket in a size 40 - could not find the pants.
frown.gif

Lands End Harris Tweed jacket in a smaller size... probably should have picked up for the Trad Thrift Exchange
Recent (as opposed to the old label) Canali Proposta suit in 46L - they wanted 35 bucks for it and that was just too hit-or-miss for selling, a bit pricey for trading... stuck in no-man's land.
Same label Canali Proposta three-button jacket in 46L - pretty sure it was an SC and maybe I should have picked it up, but I needed to cut costs SOMEWHERE...
wink.gif

Gran Sasso merino wool sweater - too unpredictable to sell
Two Armani Collezioni suits
Six Armani Collezioni pants
Three Armani Collezioni ties
Bill's Khakis m2p waist 38 - but they had been hemmed to like a 29" inseam - probably should have picked up to throw on the bay.
Lacoste polo size 4 - probably should have picked up to throw on the bay
Bullock & Jones casual shirt XL
Bullock & Jones dress pants Made in Italy
Florsheim shell cordovan longwings - slight crack on one shoe, but the insides were in meh shape.
Edwin Nazario suit...
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
Picked it up based on the quality, put it back based on the price... just found out it's made by Caruso. Should have trusted my gut. Am going to try to stop by on the way out of town tomorrow to see if it's still there.
Half of that stuff would have been a pretty decent pickup ordinarily... potentially even with damages, in some cases. Do you guys snag Armani Collezioni to flip? I've shied away just because they seem kind of unpredictable and to be honest the brand doesn't interest me much. Seeing a huge pile left behind like I did today, though, makes me wonder if it would have been worthwhile to snag just as long as I was there.
Anyway, here's what I DID get...
Ties: l-r;
Italo Feretti - this says 100% silk but feels like wool/cashmere has got to be in there too - anyone know the deal with these?
Isaia
Giorgio Armani mainline recent - almost didn't get this one but figured it was worth a shot
Massimo Bizzochi x2
Cifonelli

RLPL polo, RLPL 100% cashmere turtleneck sweater... both XL, probably keeping the polo but the sweater's available.

Gran Sasso Italian wool & cashmere quarter-zip - on the fence about it, it's a slimmish XL

Raffaele Caruso suit, size 54 Italian, epic <3 - I want one of these for myself now after seeing this

Zanella flat-front pants w38 - "stripiness" is from the camera

Massimo Bizzochi suit - I thought these were made in Italy like the ties - but this says Handmade in Brooklyn - anyone know who makes this? Here's the tag:

Interesting cuff button style... pretty stylish if a bit overkill IMO:

Finally, maybe not the rarest thing I picked up, but my first one in the wild - an Isaia Aquaspider suit. Or that's what it was sold as... there's no label in the pants. I've never seen Isaia pants of this recent vintage up close - can anyone who has speculate if they are or not? The color matches, there's pick-stitched fly, pick-stitched pockets, double button closure in the straight-up-and-down style I've seen on the one older pair Isaia pants I have... it's just that there's no label. Probably because they were altered and the guy had the tailor take them out. Oh, and it's a size 52 drop 8l, base S. The pants waist measures 47cm - and they were let out by 3cm. 52 minus 8 = 44cm... so that lends further credence to the idea these are the correct Isaia pants, am I right?
I'm really hoping they are, partly because I'd like to let this go as a suit, but also because... there's another pair. That I left at the store. All the same styling and sewing, let out the same way as these, same absence of tags - but a grey line where the red one on these is. The same kind of grey as in the upper half of the earlier Gianluca Isaia label... and a kickass pattern, too. My guess is that if they are Isaias, there was formerly a pretty sweet Gianluca Isaia jacket that someone picked up because it would look fine as an SC. If I go back tomorrow, should I pick those up? Without a label, selling would seem to be nearly impossible, but would anyone on the thread be interested maybe? The pattern would definitely be conducive to odd pants.
Anyway, here's pics:

I think the armani stuff would be good flips depends on how recent/condition and the price you pick them up for.

Last edited:

mrdeep2001

Reaction score
Holy mother of god!

I found this thread last weekend. I've been reading almost non-stop. currently on page 896
bounce2.gif

Went thrifting today, picked up some ties (for me) and shoes. The shoes I picked up for my bro, but "they arent his style" WTF these are some pimp a$$ shoes! Oh well, if someone doesnt want to wear something, you cant make them...Since I have size 12's and I can't use them, let me know if you guys are interested, otherwise I'll probably toss them up on ebay.

Allen Edmonds Melrose Sz 8D Loafer - slight scuff on toe

Johnston & Murphy Aristocraft VII Sz 8.5D/B - Look new

Florsheim Sz 8.5EEE Dark Burgundy color? - need some love

Ties (Left to Right):
"346 Brooks Brothers"?, Rooster, Ketch (never heard of?), YSL, Lanvin, Lauren Ralph Lauren Green label (read today this isnt best quality)

Here are some more pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/p6Jkb

Was there any interest for the shoes? I think my post was grazed over due to needing verification first...

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I found a tie a while ago that sounds similar to this one. I asked about it here. Spoo thought it might be a "faille."
EDIT: Here's the post with a picture of the tie I'm talking about: http://www.styleforum.net/t/9006/th...ount-store-bragging-thread/16215#post_4680540

Thanks - sorry your name escaped me! :) Looking at your pics and at my pics, I'm not sure. The silk faille shots I see on the 'net appear more "ribbed" where this isn't quite like that.

Here's the best close-up shot I could get to show the fabric - any guesses, anyone? :)

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^I think the easiest answer is they put the wrong content tag on it.

That's my suspicion too, but I'm by no means any kind of expert on silk, and I did remember chetbakersing's tie from July. Since this one appears different, I think Occam's Razor has to kick in at some point. Unfortunately, that error makes it nearly impossible to sell. Good thing I'm leaning towards keeping it. ;)

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to see another Nebraskan :slayer:
Truth be told, it does not get much better here in Omaha :(

Ohh man... Omaha has some of the best thrifting ever. I'd fill up my tank with 12-15$ worth of gas and cruise around. I love Thrift World, the one downtown is the best.

I also like the goodwill on ... 84th near 80.

And of course all the thrifting in La-Vista,Papillion,etc.

I am jealous.

Lincoln is where it's at in terms of thrifting. O street, holy **** man, holy **** there is so much stuff. Not to mention up near Wesleyan... them's my stompin grounds. I probably passed up more stuff in Lincoln than any place else. The thrifting is just so good. It's also an epic garage sale town.

I probably should care giving away all of these 'secrets', except I know less than 1% of folks on styleforum have any idea the places I am talking about.

I'm assuming you are talking about ebay selling stuff? I mostly just look for MC stuff. The stores I went to downtown had an insane amount of records. One in particular, it would have taken a day to go through all of them I'm thinking. I never thought to check for those nice levis (big E) but I should.

Anything in particular you like? I have no problem proxying for you if you give me your size/an idea of what you look for. My wife is always begging me to go to the thrift stores, but usually the best piece I find is a JC Penny brand shirt so I lost hope :fu:

Have you been to the "Goodwill Reserve" downtown?

GHo

Reaction score

Good to see another Nebraskan :slayer:
Truth be told, it does not get much better here in Omaha :(

and it's down right awful in Des Moines. Apparently there's never been any "higher" end quality stuff sold here in town.

If I find a Harris Tweed jacket, I've got a stiffy. Have not found one tie in all my thrifting worth buying either.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

and it's down right awful in Des Moines. Apparently there's never been any "higher" end quality stuff sold here in town.
If I find a Harris Tweed jacket, I've got a stiffy. Have not found one tie in all my thrifting worth buying either.

Isn't there a BB in town? I know it's not the best, but I would think a BBGF would trickle down eventually.

Then again, we have the second richest man in the world in town, and I still can't find anything :brick:

GHo

Reaction score
yeah, we have had a BB 346 (?) in town for a few years. Have not seen one suit - I have seen shirts from time to time in really tough shape. I just leave them behind. No ties either.

I keep plugging away - really trying to bring in a modest $300 ish per month just to upgrade my own wardrobe.

I buy a lot of shirts at $4 and sell from around $15 or so (mainly Polo stuff). Will not get rich quickly but it's allowed me to drastically upgrade with no money out of pocket. Which I like. :nodding:

MattR

Reaction score
So, I mentioned the other day I found an alleged Versace silk scarf the other day. Here are some (******) photos. Can anyone help ID it as real or fake? Thanks!

This thing is pretty big. I measured it at 33"x33".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads