• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Al in Philly

Reaction score
Renovateur isn't magic in a bottle. But it's close. I'd use that followed by some quality polish form whatever brand you like. I've used Lexol on my car seats but never on my shoes.
Renovateur isn't magic in a bottle, however, Renomat IS actually magic.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe you have not tried other solvents before...

I think renomat is the best product around for removing old wax and general prep of leather prior to conditioning especially for those inexperienced in working with solvents. I personally use acetone quite a bit but when you do you must be aware that you are driving tacks with a sledge hammer I have worked with solvents professionally in industrial applications for over 50 years belive me most of them are best avoided

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think renomat is the best product around for removing old wax and general prep of leather prior to conditioning especially for those inexperienced in working with solvents. I personally use acetone quite a bit but when you do you must be aware that you are driving tacks with a sledge hammer I have worked with solvents professionally in industrial applications for over 50 years belive me most of them are best avoided
Do you use it (Renomat) every time before you are about to apply polish? Do you still use Renovateur after that?

gsgleason

Reaction score

Do you use it (Renomat) every time before you are about to apply polish? Do you still use Renovateur after that?

That would be a bad idea. Even though it's relatively gentle, it's still a chemical stripper. I actually messed up my AE PA in brown from over using Renomat, creating a section of the toe that wouldn't take polish.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That would be a bad idea. Even though it's relatively gentle, it's still a chemical stripper. I actually messed up my AE PA in brown from over using Renomat, creating a section of the toe that wouldn't take polish.

Ouch. Not my definition of magic.
yeah, i think i'll stay away and stick with renovateur or venetian shoe cream. i'm a novice and don't want to eff anything up. ;)

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am not a leatherworker, shoemaker, nor cobbler. So I do not have enough experience in stripping old wax. But renovator is far from the only product or the best IME.

That would be an overkill and largely unnecessary. But conditioning is essential after using harsh products like Renomat.

That is improbable. You just need way more layers and time. Forget those thin coat polish bullcrap and smear enough polishes on the shoes if you actually tries to finish the shoe after a deep stripping via mild solvent like Renomat or acetone or harsh solvent like bleach.

p.s., I bleached shoes before and sometimes even damaged the surface from rubbing too hard when the leathers fully soaked from renomat/acetone/bleach. But none of those solvents stopped me from making a mirror shine after they dried completely.

Last edited:

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No no Im sorry I wasnt clear i only use it when a build up of polish or wax needs to be removed if you care for your shoes properly thats rarely

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[/I am not a leatherworker, shoemaker, nor cobbler. So I do not have enough experience in stripping old wax. But renovator is far from the only product or the best IME

What in your opinion would be a better product . Im not being confrontational rather i am genuinely curious

B]

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As has been mentioned, the use of Renomat is something done very infrequently, maybe once or twice a year and only to remove built up layers of wax. If you rarely apply wax, there is no reason to strip a shoe with Remomat. However, after using a product like Renomat, it is essential to recondition with a product like Renovateur (or the conditioner of your choice) followed by protective and shiny layer(s) of wax. Renomat is a fantastic product but one with a very specific purpose and should not be confused with day to day shoe care products like VSC or Renovateur.

You could liken this type of regimen to a full car detail. Old wax is stripped completely down to the paint, followed by thorough cleaning and application of new layers of wax. It's something done infrequently, perhaps annually.

Your weekly car washes are like the day to day shoe care. Mac method, occasional conditioning, cleaning and touch ups with Renovateur or VSC.

sungmineyo

Reaction score

As has been mentioned, the use of Renomat is something done very infrequently, maybe once or twice a year and only to remove built up layers of wax. If you rarely apply wax, there is no reason to strip a shoe with Remomat. However, after using a product like Renomat, it is essential to recondition with a product like Renovateur (or the conditioner of your choice) followed by protective and shiny layer(s) of wax. Renomat is a fantastic product but one with a very specific purpose and should not be confused with day to day shoe care products like VSC or Renovateur.

You could liken this type of regimen to a full car detail. Old wax is stripped completely down to the paint, followed by thorough cleaning and application of new layers of wax. It's something done infrequently, perhaps annually.

Your weekly car washes are like the day to day shoe care. Mac method, occasional conditioning, cleaning and touch ups with Renovateur or VSC.

I posted same post on AE thread but I guess ppl in this thread have more knowledge/experience on shoe care.
I finally gave up removing factory polish off on shell cordovan with saphir renovateur and mac method! after using 1/3 renovateur bottle on 1 pair of shoes. I literally still can see uneven polish from factory. If I knew, I am going to have this much trouble with removing uneven polish off from shoe,
I definitely exchanged for other pair.....

Just placed order for renomat. Can someone advise me on using renomat on AE cordovan based on experience?
Thanks in advance.

Got answer from AE thread!

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[/I am not a leatherworker, shoemaker, nor cobbler. So I do not have enough experience in stripping old wax. But renovator is far from the only product or the best IME

What in your opinion would be a better product . Im not being confrontational rather i am genuinely curious

B]

Lincoln dye preparer to strip off wax.

My guess is most leather dye companies like Lincoln/Feiberg should have wax strippers similar to what I listed.

p.s., Saint Crispins recommends naphtha or turpentine spirits (and advised against using acetone or paint removers, probably because they tend to remove the finish). Never tried these but I already have more wax strippers than I can use in my life time.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would use Lexol instead of Renovateur as Renovateur is also a solvent. But then its just me...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads