• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaunw

Reaction score
I finally got a pair of 403's. Unfortunately my wife does not like them - she has a problem with the stacked heel. I don't want to keep them if my wife doesn't like them, but I really want to keep them. Does that make sense? She might like the 405's in Kudu, as they have a Vibram sole. Does anyone sell a 403 with a Vibram sole?
I'm a bit bummed.

I don't ask my wife if she likes my footwear or not, I just get what I like and roll with it. Conversely she doesn't ask me what I think of hers. This scenario works well for us. I like to think of this way.....as a woman she is not an expert on men's footwear and similarly being a man, I'm no expert on women's footwear.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Sure, but I find there are certain benefits to having a spouse that cares about and enjoys the way I look :). I just need to figure out how to convince her that the 403 is a nice look.

I agree with this. However, how noticeable is the heel when wearing the boot? I would think barely. What is so offensive about the heel on the Indy? Just the fact that it is there?

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yep, just reaffirms why I have to keep telling myself to be patient. I am a little worried about how the unlined will hold up in the long run though, just don't want them to get too sloppy looking.
I want mine as rolled out and patina'd as possible. I am not buying an unlined shell shoe to look pristine

thams

Reaction score
I agree with this. However, how noticeable is the heel when wearing the boot? I would think barely. What is so offensive about the heel on the Indy? Just the fact that it is there?
Agreed. Maybe just dye the heel to hide that it's stacked? I guess I'm confused why a stacked heel is so much different than a vibram one aesthetics-wise.

On top of that, would you even be able to return the boots since you've worn them?

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I finally got a pair of 403's. Unfortunately my wife does not like them - she has a problem with the stacked heel. I don't want to keep them if my wife doesn't like them, but I really want to keep them. Does that make sense? She might like the 405's in Kudu, as they have a Vibram sole. Does anyone sell a 403 with a Vibram sole?
I'm a bit bummed.

In my opinion those Indy's look at odds with your outfit. the sweater looks to be on the short side of length and your pants pretty slim/tapered. I think a heavier workboot style look jus doesn't really work there as it stands out. For me if any one part of an outfit is highlighted or stands out in too much contrast from the rest of the look then it doesn't really work for me.

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FYI - Alden of Carmel has a #2 lwb (anniversary run) in 10.5D available (so close to my 10D) and a Cigar LWB irregular in 10D for $475.

Shame the color 2 didn't do that much for me. I'd be tempted by the novelty except for the price.

And some AoC cigar today:

SkySaw

Reaction score
Thanks for all your thoughts. I'm trying to move away from adidas as my only really casual (i.e., with jeans) footwear, and thought these would be a perfect place to start. Maybe as Rydenfan suggests, they don't jive with my current style, and that's what she is picking up on.

btw Thams - I respect good footwear and buyers; I've only put them on my feet twice, and not creased them. The store will take them back if I return them in perfect condition.

I'm still thinking deep down that if I keep them and wear them a lot, she will love them in a couple of weeks.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Leffot has really been rocking the new Alden make ups, wonder what's going on with LeatherSoul they've really quiet as of late....

I've noticed the same thing. LeatherSoul has been really quiet on all fronts over the past year or so, not just Alden.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've noticed the same thing. LeatherSoul has been really quiet on all fronts over the past year or so, not just Alden.
Maybe they are getting tons of awesome product and selling them all off to esteemed VIPs without ever bothering to market them online? (Sarcasm, sarcasm)

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your thoughts. I'm trying to move away from adidas as my only really casual (i.e., with jeans) footwear, and thought these would be a perfect place to start. Maybe as Rydenfan suggests, they don't jive with my current style, and that's what she is picking up on.

btw Thams - I respect good footwear and buyers; I've only put them on my feet twice, and not creased them. The store will take them back if I return them in perfect condition.

I'm still thinking deep down that if I keep them and wear them a lot, she will love them in a couple of weeks.

I am not a fan of that boot either...to me the stitching up top does not line up the cut of the rest of the front of the boot..I really do not see what all the fuss is about the Indy boot...of course unless you are wearing to really rough it as an alternative to a regular work boot.....that said I am sure at some point there will be one in my rotation..lol

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I emailed them about a restock of the chukka in brown CXL and they responded quickly that they did not stock my size....so I asked if they could order it and pretty much just said it would probably take a year to come in...they were not nasty in the email at all but just did not seem all that interested in me ordering it. I still may order it though :)

frankiej26

Reaction score
Others may be able to clarify this, but I recall reading something about Leffot's maneuvering around Alden's gag order relating to shell offerings other than black or color 8. They might have put an Easter egg in an Instagram or something. Hey--I went back and found it for you--read this post and the two that follow.

Retailers are not allowed to "advertise" rare shell colors. You won't get an email blast about them. Unfortunately you just have to know. 'Watch this space' is the best advice I can give. Or just call retailers and ask to hop on lists for makeups you are interested in.

Quote:
The most current run of Daytripper boots were open for pre-order in 2012, but they are just now going into production. This is why you haven't seen any email blasts or FB posts about ordering. I think a few people were able to get on the order recently -- probably because some of the people on the original pre-order dropped out because they lost all hope that the boot would be made (I was almost there myself). 2.5 years of waiting and we're almost there!

Thanks for the advice tifosi and info thams and Alpina. and here I was thinking special ordering a car was bad.....

Last edited:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not a fan of that boot either...to me the stitching up top does not line up the cut of the rest of the front of the boot..I really do not see what all the fuss is about the Indy boot...of course unless you are wearing to really rough it as an alternative to a regular work boot.....that said I am sure at some point there will be one in my rotation..lol
For a long while, I didn't think I would have much interest in the Indy as I do not "really rough it." I stumbled upon a pair BNIB in a men's clothing store in Baltimore a couple of summers ago. The owner offered me a price I couldn't refuse ($300 tax included); it was the last pair they had. I've been very satisfied with them as a fall/winter boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads