1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gilby

gilby Well-Known Member

Great boots!
    I may be the one guy that prefers the dark edging on this model.

2. postal007

postal007 Well-Known Member

Haha, what size are you? That may be mine!

3. jvc44

jvc44 Well-Known Member

4. 100 yrs

100 yrs Well-Known Member

me too, i pretty much always prefer the dark edge on #8 models, which seems more versatile to me.

size 9D.

5. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Your new NST Boots are looking terrific. I agree with you on the superior styling of these with the dark edge, but had to personally pass due to having the Frans Boone Dr Jones already and happened to be wearing them when I was informed.

I would personally call the factory and see what they say if you ask them. Their number is on aldenshoe.com. Alternatively, a respectable cobbler may be able to fix that as well.

-Mike

6. jvc44

jvc44 Well-Known Member

Definitely mine , enjoy them ! I have dr jones with dark edge too similar and Yenni reordered with antique edge but like the ones u got very nice boots!

7. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Saturday. Alden Whiskey Shell Cordovan Indy Boot. Trubalance Last.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leisure Sunday. Alden Ravello Shell Cordovan Leisure Handsewn Penny Loafer. Van Last.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Mike

3 people like this.
  8. gilby

gilby Well-Known Member

Mike,

Love the Wiskey Indy with 360 welt, much prefer over the close heel.
    It goes without saying the loafers are perfect.

9. gforce

gforce Well-Known Member

FWIW.....The guys at Alden SF described the Grant as a Barrie with a more narrow toe box. After trying a Grant boot on, I see exactly what they mean and, understand why some guys have a hard time finding the right size. It does not work for me, but obviously some people love it. Personally I would not size down, and if you have a low instep it might not be the best fit for you. Good luck!

10. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Thanks. Yes, the 360 degree welt is more casual in nature and is much more befitting of a Trubalance Lasted Indy Boot.

-Mike

11. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

Ask Yenni at Brick+Mortar. I believe that they are lined.

12. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Well-Known Member

I believe Khaki of Carmel also has the suede longwings, and they're a SF affiliate so you can just ask in their thread.

13. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

awesome boots and loafers dubs. killing it this weekend. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. ATLVol

ATLVol Well-Known Member

I know that many recommend going TTS on the J Crew cap toe boot....what about the Leffot Naval boot?

15. TommyB

TommyB Well-Known Member

Hi gforce,

Thanks for the input, it's very much appreciated. I do have a low instep so Grant might be a tricky last for me. But I need the Ravello captoe boot on Grant! :D

I'll be in San Francisco in a few weeks, maybe I should visit Alden SF and see if I can try on a pair of 4060, I've understood that they love people coming in to try on shoes just to figure out their size... :nodding:

16. postal007

postal007 Well-Known Member

Haha could have been mine as well as I am a 9D. On the reorder, gotta wait another 6-8 months. I guess good things come to those who wait right?

17. 02///M3

02///M3 Well-Known Member

I know several people have posted pics of the new color 8 wingtip boots from Brick & Mortar, but they are my first pair of Aldens (and first pair of shell cordovan shoes) so I felt compelled to share. They are definitely darker than the color 8 boots I tried on at the Alden Madison store, but it doesn't bother me. The last pic of the toes shows the difference in color with and without sunlight. Anyway, I'm psyched to finally join the Alden community! If anybody has any suggestions for breaking them in, please do share...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. gforce

gforce Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that the captoe boot at the SF store is on Barrie ......I have a pair and love them

19. gilby

gilby Well-Known Member

O2,

You picked a nice makeup for your first pair.
    Most people ease in with an Indy but you went all in..
    Great looking boot, enjoy!

20. MrVenneri

MrVenneri Well-Known Member

FWIW: I am a 10 C/D in both overall length and arch length on the Brannock, with a low/mid arch and smaller instep. The AE Dalton boot in a 10D fits me perfectly...While a 9.5D grant (4060) fits me about as good as I can get. The instep in the 9.5D grant is still a touch large for my taste, but it's not uncomfortable or overly ill fitting. Subsequently, I have a 10.5D grant lasted, cigar cap-toe boot that I put a super feet dress insole in help 'snug up' and it fits just as well as the 9.5D grant and feels great in terms of my overall foot comfort.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.