• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsgleason

Reaction score

Well, looks like my Natty CXL Indy on Commando dreams are becoming a reality. What is Trubalance sizing like? Same as Barrie?

It depends.

Barrie is longer and narrower than trubalance.

I'm between 11.5 and 12 on brannock. 11.5D barrie fits me very well, but an 11.5 on trubalance is too sloppy.

I'm really not a fan of trubalance at all. I recently got a 12C and that is better than the 11.5D, but not where I'd like it to be.

Skatenc123

Reaction score
Quote from Matthew at unionmade.
"The pair you ordered have a single oiled waterlock leather sole, but not the flex sole, the heavier sole."

Just a heads up everyone. I really liked the looks of these, so I tracked them down. They're at the Unionmade "grove" location in LA. I spoke to John over the phone and he said he has several left.

I have an 11.5 headed my way, and he said they have the following sizes left:

8.5 x2
9 x2

Barrie last, speed hooks (obviously) and oiled leather sole (not sure if it's waterlock or flex welt).

RobinM

Reaction score
Robin, Where did you get that book? Never knew Alden did any sort of marketing... I always thought this was their marketing strategy... :)

Not quite a book but a nicely printed 30+ page brochure. Got a copy in the mail directly from the factory a few years ago.

The catalog showcases only the regular production styles. Not a single mention of rare shells models.

Call the factory, they may have an updated version available.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not quite a book but a nicely printed 30+ page brochure. Got a copy in the mail directly from the factory a few years ago.  

The catalog showcases only the regular production styles.  Not a single mention of rare shells models.

Call the factory, they may have an updated version available.  

The new version would be filled with mdubs photos.

RobinM

Reaction score
BTW, the description on our beloved Indy boots follows:

"Alden's authentic work boot. Famous for its career in film, appreciated today for its timeless design...."

Marketing that is.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ thats money. sounds like a Nike campaign

Last edited:

AE_afficionado

Reaction score

you got it. I say tobacco chamois all the way. That shoe will prefer much better overall in sloppy weather than the brown CXL version 

The tobacco chamois lwb looks great. Any reason I should consider a D width if I'm happy with the fit of E width Barrie wingtip boots in #8?

The only thing holding me back is that this would be the third pair of Alden's in a row with commando sole, and all of my Alden's would be either commando or full lug soles.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Whiskey!

green garden

Reaction score
Maiden voyage today. 1st day of Mac method break-in in the office. Isn't it happy hour yet?

Apologize for the picture quality. I was hoping to show the depth of the color so I stood near the window. My phone camera wasn't up to the job.

AE_afficionado

Reaction score

If you're not necessarily looking for as rugged a shoe, you should consider the brown chrmxl LWB.

Actually, the chamois LWB's on commando would be a good replacement for a pair of AE Rush Streets I wouldn't mind upgrading from; they're essentially Strands in golden brown CXL, contrast stitching, and black Danite soles.

CEE88

Reaction score

Maiden voyage today. 1st day of Mac method break-in in the office. Isn't it happy hour yet? Apologize for the picture quality. I was hoping to show the depth of the color so I stood near the window. My phone camera wasn't up to the job.
Those look fantastic GG. I need to get mine out the box and start wearing them. And remember, it's always happy hour somethere.

Last edited:

masaccio

Reaction score
New (to me) suede bucks for the end of summer.

Trying to compete with @MrDV by cheating and standing on the lawn at the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads