• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Me too. While we're at it, also I wish they would stop talking about "Zug" on the Edward Green Appreciation Thread.
that just makes me want to talk about it even more
stirpot.gif

docalden2013

Reaction score
Just when I thought I was out...

I'm very excited about that Leffot preorder just announced today. I want the reverse tobacco boot. Like MrDV said, I wouldn't have minded brass eyelets. It would have been absolutely perfect for me if the boots had speedhooks (which I prefer for casual-use boots).

Before trigger is pulled, is anyone aware of a wingtip reverse tobacco chammy boot that actually has the speedhooks?

Thanks in advance...

Still breaking in my Leffot tankers. Non-crappy pics soon...

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I, for one prefer the smooth chamois. It is just as resilient as the reverse, but with a more vintage feel. Old pic, but ....you get the idea.
Mighty manly. :slayer:

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Me too. While we're at it, also I wish they would stop talking about "Zug" on the Edward Green Appreciation Thread.

If I see any of the bastards I'll pass on your sentiments. ;)

totalair1

Reaction score
Robin, Where did you get that book? Never knew Alden did any sort of marketing... I always thought this was their marketing strategy... :)

I agree with you Mike! The real question I have about Alden...if you are selling your product faster than you can produce it why don't you find a way to train new people to do things right and increase revenue? I know there'a manpower shortages in all trades including a/c and heat. Thats why we bring in entry level manpower and train them to do things right, and continue to build our workforce. In general I know shoe maker is a trade/skill that is moving overseas and dying off in America. But it would seem Alden could fix this issue if they tried. Until them there's no point on marketing We do it for them!

See Ya,
Steve

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with you Mike! The real question I have about Alden...if you are selling your product faster than you can produce it why don't you find a way to train new people to do things right and increase revenue? I know there'a manpower shortages in all trades including a/c and heat. Thats why we bring in entry level manpower and train them to do things right, and continue to build our workforce. In general I know shoe maker is a trade/skill that is moving overseas and dying off in America. But it would seem Alden could fix this issue if they tried. Until them there's no point on marketing We do it for them!

See Ya,
Steve
Methinks that Alden is concerned the footwear craze is a fad, and is nervous to commit the capital to expand operations. It's strategies like this that have kept them as one of just a few (or the only?) U.S.-made Goodyear welted shoemakers.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Me too. While we're at it, also I wish they would stop talking about "Zug" on the Edward Green Appreciation Thread.

I'm kind of glad, saved me a few bucks. I am not aware of this "zug" fella. I try not to read about EGs or vintage Porsches, can't afford either one.

intensanity

Reaction score
Well, looks like my Natty CXL Indy on Commando dreams are becoming a reality. What is Trubalance sizing like? Same as Barrie?

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My guess is that Mr. DV has the latter, but he probably has both (vintage inconic car and shoes), haha.

On to the point of Alden's expansion strategies to meet strong demand.

Expansion endeavors such as increasing fixed cost can cripple a company when it is betting on the wrong side of the fence. Adding more workers, machineries and manufacturing plants comes at a significant upfront cost. I believe Alden is contempt with how much it is profiting as of right now, than to try and reap upside potential opportunities that comes with catastrophic risks for the company.

For an American company that produces shoes domestically, it's probably more prudent for it to stay nimble with a strong balance sheet than to go out and put more leverage for expansion initiatives.

smmrfld

Reaction score

Methinks that Alden is concerned the footwear craze is a fad, and is nervous to commit the capital to expand operations. It's strategies like this that have kept them as one of just a few (or the only?) U.S.-made Goodyear welted shoemakers.

+1. Agree completely. It's a smart way to do business.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

+1. Agree completely. It's a smart way to do business.

My guess is that Mr. DV has the latter, but he probably has both (vintage inconic car and shoes), haha. 

On to the point of Alden's expansion strategies to meet strong demand. 

Expansion endeavors such as increasing fixed cost can cripple a company when it is betting on the wrong side of the fence. Adding more workers, machineries and manufacturing plants comes at a significant upfront cost. I believe Alden is contempt with how much it is profiting as of right now, than to try and reap upside potential opportunities that comes with catastrophic risks for the company. 

For an American company that produces shoes domestically, it's probably more prudent for it to stay nimble with a strong balance sheet than to go out and put more leverage for expansion initiatives.  

I agree with you Mike!  The real question I have about Alden...if you are selling your product faster than you can produce it why don't you find a way to train new people to do things right and increase revenue?  I know there'a manpower shortages in all trades including a/c and heat.  Thats why we bring in entry level manpower and train them to do things right, and continue to build our workforce.  In general I know shoe maker is a trade/skill that is moving overseas and dying off in America.  But it would seem Alden could fix this issue if they tried.  Until them there's no point on marketing We do it for them!

See Ya,
Steve

LoL. I was trying to joke!

It's hard to see a need to advertise when your shoes never reach shelves. With that said, most of their stock models actually do hit shelves, it's just the special Makeups particularly in the exotic shells that don't.

Kathy has told me that Alden will occasionally run ads in the Times or the Post. There are also ShoeMart billboards in Connecticut showcasing Alden's. :)

I think it may be a mistake for Alden to grow myself. Part of their mystique is their small size and they are also still supply limited when it comes to what a lot here want, which is exotic shells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads