• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Mdubs, do you happen to know if your whiskey full strap was the last pair at Alden NY in 10D? Or even 10.5D?

Sir, they were 10D. 11B is my best Aberdeen size, but amazingly 10.5C and 10D work okay as well. There was one more pair remaining when I bought them a month or so ago. I got to pick between the two of them. Both had some minor creasing, I had to buff them a bit already to reduce the creasing.

-Mike

Last edited:

circleslife

Reaction score

+1  Those cigar PTB's would be like my dream shoe.  I have the RL Marlow PTB's and my Alden Color 8 PTB's..... but Alden cigar PTB's I would probably wear more than those two combined.

Ben

Well said. They go great on sockless looks too.

docalden2013

Reaction score
It was cool this morning. 48F at my house, which is unseasonably cool for a July morning.
You know who will take those cadets off you when the time is right, Doc.
We could work something out. I've been thinking of cutting the cadets and pasting a black longwing.

If you were looking to use a black shell Alden model for more formal attire, I would recommend either the cap toe bal (like AE's Park Av) or the perf cap toe bal (like AE's 5th Av). J Crew's cadet is very much a casual looking shoe in my opinion, even though it is black. The barrie last, blucher, and double leather sole makes it look a little odd with a suit. I've done the 9901 with a suit before and felt fine, but somehow the cadet looks more like it should be a (naval) boot and screams casual, at least to me. My $0.02.
Most of my cadet wears (like 5 of the last 6 or so wears) has been for casual purposes. I tried once with a suit and felt regret for the rest of the work day. Jeans and a grey tshirt are no problem for the cadet.

+1 Those cigar PTB's would be like my dream shoe. I have the RL Marlow PTB's and my Alden Color 8 PTB's..... but Alden cigar PTB's I would probably wear more than those two combined.

Ben
My cigar ptbs get almost no wear. I've even tried putting them by the door so they'll get some action on the way to morning summer camp dropoffs or trips to the store, but I always end up doing something else. That said, Uncle's cigar ptbs were out of this world the other day.

ravello ptb
argyles otc

Every time I think I'm just not into ptbs, something like this happens. Nicely done, Mac!
Some new pick-ups... :)

First up, the ShoeMart Seconds "Color #4" "Ravello" Cigar Cap Toe Balmorals. So, they were listed in the ShoeMart E-mail as being Color #4, but when I received them the box had Ravello written on it by hand. So, I decided to contact Alden, they confirmed my suspicion based upon the model number, that they are actually, Cigar Shell Cordovan and were made in 2002 for CitiShoes.

Second up, the Alden x LeatherSoul Cigar Jumper Boot. I purchased these from a fellow StyleForum member, who has only worn them once since acquiring them back in 2012. Unfortunately, I have sold them, but I thought that y'all would appreciate the photos!

Next up, is the Alden x Leffot Plaza Lasted Snuff Suede Wingtip Boot. These are not Shell Cordovan, but still amazing! They have been worn once.

Another hard find was a pair of Whiskey Chukka boots made for Alden of San Francisco back in 2009.

Finally, I picked these bad boys up in person at Alden of NY. When I walked in there, these were sitting on their shelf! I was pleasantly surprised. They had them in my size to... :)

And an updated photo of my Whiskey Family. I just sold and shipped my Whiskey LHS (second from the right), but wanted to take a group shot before they departed. I have a new Whiskey LWB in production in a narrow size, a Whiskey Indy boot in production, and have two Crockett & Jones Whiskey shoes (Harlech Cap Toe Boot (GMTO) and Lowdnes Double Monk (MTO)) currently in production.

Have a great weekend all!

-Mike
Mr. Aldenpedia, I mean Mike, I've run out of words to describe the wonder of these images and the admiration I have for how carefully you curate your collection. Thanks for sharing.

Anyone who wants to point me toward a whiskey indy in an 8.5D trubalance, please don't hesitate to reach out. Muchas gracias.

Skatenc123

Reaction score
Is there anyway to look through a thread but only see the pictures posted? Trying to make a list of shoes to buy incase they pop up. Thanks.

trunks206

Reaction score
^"Recent images in this thread" (right hand side of page) -> "View all"

ModWar

Reaction score
Help needed from you Alden experts.
I am in search of a Black plain toe boot on a commando or crepe sole. The type of leather is not that important, both cordovan or calf are ok.
I know the Alden of Carmel make-ups but they either don't have my size (US8D) or the wrong last. I would like to have a boot on barrie not trubalance.
Some hints would be great!

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some Saturday morning Mac method, #8 Brixton and Cigar LWB. I've been having a hard time getting the same luster on my Cigars that my Brixtons already have - you can see in the closeups that the Cigar looks a little more dry compared to the Brixtons. I don't know if Alden used lower quality shells or what, but I've been doing a ton of brushing and buffing on these and they're getting better, but they still don't look quite as wet as my Brixtons.

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some Saturday morning Mac method, #8 Brixton and Cigar LWB. I've been having a hard time getting the same luster on my Cigars that my Brixtons already have - you can see in the closeups that the Cigar looks a little more dry compared to the Brixtons. I don't know if Alden used lower quality shells or what, but I've been doing a ton of brushing and buffing on these and they're getting better, but they still don't look quite as wet as my Brixtons.

:nodding:
Really digging the patina on your #8 Brixtons. I don't know if it is a coincidence or if that batch was constructed from a particularly pristine batch of shell, but my #8 Brixtons also have a great patina (better than most of my other shell).

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Brixtons were from an Epaulet run a few years back, correct?

Looks like Barrie last to me. Beautiful boot.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have the same boots from LS. Mine are are on waterloc though. Far and away my most comfortable boots

Last edited:

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does Uncle take pics with an SLR and transfer them to his phone to post? Those photos always have the most dynamic range of any photos I see in the thread (except for MrDV's).

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Does Uncle take pics with an SLR and transfer them to his phone to post? Those photos always have the most dynamic range of any photos I see in the thread (except for MrDV's).

He probably just posts from a PC. No NEED to post from a phone.

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a perfect all weather shoe... CXL NST on commando. With a thin heel I usually avoid barrie, but the heel cup doesn't feel overly large on this one.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Help needed from you Alden experts.
I am in search of a Black plain toe boot on a commando or crepe sole. The type of leather is not that important, both cordovan or calf are ok.
I know the Alden of Carmel make-ups but they either don't have my size (US8D) or the wrong last. I would like to have a boot on barrie not trubalance.
Some hints would be great!

ModWar, after a quick thought, I think you may want to give Alden New York (Madison) a call, they have the following model available

Plain Toe Boot
Black Shell Cordovan
Barrie Last
Crepe Sole
Style # 45165

(Not my picture - from www.aldenmadisonny.com)

http://www.aldenmadisonny.com/SHELL4.html

They do not list size availability online, so give them a call or shoot them an E-mail (recommend calling personally).

-Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads