• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErikW

Reaction score
Okay, last question - whomever was working on the welt was a bit overzealous with the hammer. You can actually see unstained areas and there is a sizable dent on both welts. I compared it to my other boots/shoes and none of them have that particular defect. Is that something to worry about?

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
An igent will be along shortly to inform you that this is "to be expected" for Alden and that such "charming" marks are endearing bonus features to buying from Alden. In good health. /nephew

Last edited:

ErikW

Reaction score
You are joking, right? Do you really think that is something to have any concern over. First it is hardly noticeable and second, have you seen a boot tongue after being laced a few times. I am very particular and have been accused of being OCD more than once and can appreciate real issues, but some of the recent "is this OK" postings are bordering on the ridiculous.
Hell, I'm spending over $800 on these boots..just want to make sure I'm getting $800 worth of quality.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
after sitting on the fence for almost two years about buying a pair of shell LW, i finally picked up a pair.

My friend, you have an American classic on hand... you will love these shoes for life! Welcome to the 975 club, Alden's quintessential American-made shoe... (imho)

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hell, I'm spending over $800 on these boots..just want to make sure I'm getting $800 worth of quality.

:crazy::confused:

If you want your money's worth (holy crap $800 for any Aldens, esp. non exotic), you probably should look elsewhere (like Vass).

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
If those are the plaza lasted Indies in color 8 and size 10D, yes they are atrocious and need to be pawned off to ME!
biggrin.gif
If not, I don't think the uneven color on the tongue will ever bother you. Coinop is correct in that your tongue will look somewhat mangled after several wears. Enjoy often and in great health my friend!

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, last question - whomever was working on the welt was a bit overzealous with the hammer. You can actually see unstained areas and there is a sizable dent on both welts. I compared it to my other boots/shoes and none of them have that particular defect. Is that something to worry about?

Get some black edge dressing and clean it up. If the "dent" is that noticeable return them. I can't really tell from the pics.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
crazy.gif
confused.gif

If you want your money's worth (holy crap $800 for any Aldens, esp. non exotic), you probably should look elsewhere (like Vass).
First, Color 8 is regal my friend and second, the plaza work boot is a must-have if they are available in your size... This may sound crazy, but a $100 difference at this stage is not that horrible if you know exactly what you want. If you don't really want it, send them back.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Much like Alden does, regardless of the last. You can't begin to believe that $800 Aldens are worth the money by any objective metric. Of course from an emotional/sentimental aspect, people will pay up front to wait years for a likely "with character" product, so yes - if you must have glazed Alden shell in a chunky last, go right on ahead.

My last remaining pair of Aldens: Aberdeen lasted black shell cap-toe bluchers. They cost me less than half of $800. They are worth what I paid.

Last edited:

ErikW

Reaction score
First, Color 8 is regal my friend and second, the plaza work boot is a must-have if they are available in your size... This may sound crazy, but a $100 difference at this stage is not that horrible if you know exactly what you want. If you don't really want it, send them back.
I'm in total agreement about the extra $100. For a boot that theoretically should last 30+ years, it's not the end of the world if you're buying a particular style that you really want (and yes, I am infatuated with the plaza indy). The tongue doesn't bother me much, but still not sure about the dents...Percolating on this one a bit more.

anrobit

Reaction score
Much like Alden does, regardless of the last. You can't begin to believe that $800 Aldens are worth the money by any objective metric. Of course from an emotional/sentimental aspect, people will pay up front to wait years for a likely "with character" product, so yes - if you must have glazed Alden shell in a chunky last, go right on ahead.

My last remaining pair of Aldens: Aberdeen lasted black shell cap-toe bluchers. They cost me less than half of $800. They are worth what I paid.
I think it's tough to have any sort of objective sense of worth. You can try to go by averages, but ultimately, the question of worth is personal.

When you ask someone, "What's this worth?" you are asking the question, "What's this worth to you?" Although I may consider some of Alden's prices outrageous (see anything non-shell), others may not, and there is nothing wrong with that. For certain types of shoes, Alden provides the best American-made product.

Similarly, others may prefer Alden's chunky lasts to something sleeker or European. That is personal preference. Not every shoe has to have a sleek shape.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you can show me DCFs or other valuation methodologies that come up with objective values for shoes, please go ahead

I've gotten full value out of my most expensive Alden shoes (probably my two tanker boots) so far this year. My Edward Greens? Not so much, even though they are beautiful...

Last edited:

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are some less subjective metrics though: construction / materials / QC / turn around time / CS / etc.

Of course the higher you climb, there are diminishing returns.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads