• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Oh he buys quite a bit!
nod[1].gif

Last edited:

gastarbeider

Reaction score
after sitting on the fence for almost two years about buying a pair of shell LW, i finally picked up a pair. they arrived today, and on closer inspection (i tried them on at the shop, then had them sent to save on taxes) i noticed a small roll/bulb/on the toe, where the upper meets the welt. it's really nothing, and i realize that these are handmade shoes, but they're not exactly cheap. am i being OCD and overreacting? i also noticed some minor asymmetry with the broguing.

Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those look fine to me. They will look far worse after being worn outside for 30 minutes

gastarbeider

Reaction score
alright. figured as much. thanks for talking me off the ledge.

Last edited:

Vicious49

Reaction score
.I've recently made a foray into other brands and interests and, accordingly, have begun perusing other sf threads. While I've also appreciated the information and pictures I've encountered in those other threads, it's been my experience that there is much more flaming and trolling if not overt snippiness, passive aggression and hostility there. We here in the Alden department seem to be able to share our enthusiasm and even our conceptual disagreements without getting catty or losing civility (even when it comes to the calf vs. shell debate). Thank you for the camaraderie and for supporting my ongoing habit. Good day, good sirs!

I agree. That is the reason I hated SF for so long and might have come across a bit blunt myself initially - because I was expecting the snippiness that is prevalent in the majority of SF. If I did, I apologize since everyone here has been helpful and not holier than thou at all.

ErikW

Reaction score
Any thoughts on the color imperfections in the tongue of this boot? The rest of the shoe seems pretty close to perfect for Alden standards.

smoothie1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the color imperfections in the tongue of this boot? The rest of the shoe seems pretty close to perfect for Alden standards.

The "color imperfections" can be made even with some polish and/or Renovateur. Does the look of this bother you?

Last edited:

adamf009

Reaction score

4060s 10.5E. Grant last is a tough one to fit. Originally bought the 11D from shoemart but realized after an hour on carpet that there was too much height in the toe box. Since I had to have the 4060 I bought the 10.5 D & E from Citishoes. Couldn't make the D work. The E is works great but I would say has a bit less sleekness than the D. I noticed yesterday that the tongue is unlined (both with horween stamp), where my brixtons have a lined tongue.

Once I sell the 11Ds from shoemart I'll know how much it costed me to get my Grant last sizing right!

coinopcollector

Reaction score

You are joking, right? Do you really think that is something to have any concern over. First it is hardly noticeable and second, have you seen a boot tongue after being laced a few times. I am very particular and have been accused of being OCD more than once and can appreciate real issues, but some of the recent "is this OK" postings are bordering on the ridiculous.

odessaboots

Reaction score
+1 on this thread being particularly helpful and civil compared to many of the other SF threads. It is especially nice that when you ask a question on this thread, people actually answer it and give input, instead of telling you to try and piece together an answer from hundreds (in this case almost 5000) previous pages.

Thank you to the gentlemen here who actively participate in our collective bloodlust for Alden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads