• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those guys selling their JCrew #8 cap toe boots, I'm just curious. Why do you think it is that you did not wear them/decide they didn't work in your rotation? Redundancy? Didn't work with wardrobe? I'm waiting for a pair of mine, though I am not yet sure if I will keep them, given that I have 3 other pre-orders for boots. Would be interesting to know.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those guys selling their JCrew #8 cap toe boots, I'm just curious. Why do you think it is that you did not wear them/decide they didn't work in your rotation? Redundancy? Didn't work with wardrobe? I'm waiting for a pair of mine, though I am not yet sure if I will keep them, given that I have 3 other pre-orders for boots. Would be interesting to know.

for me.. once I got the naval boot in #8 I realized I'd be grabbing them more often than the jcrew pct. im casually dressed for the most part

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I had the JCrew Captoes before, sold them, and recently purchased them again, .5 size up. They are more comfortable now, so I think they will stick around longer. Mine are great because they don't have any flaws that Alden shoes regularly come with (weird indentations or scratches, uneven color, easily broken/pulled speedhooks, etc.).

nephew uncle nephew uncle nephew

Last edited:

tampatravel

Reaction score
...and I bought them because I wanted a solid go to boot that would look good with a gray suit and a pair of jeans!

For the record I bought mine off of a J.Crew go between :)

GooseG

Reaction score
Well, my gunboats came in today. Unfortunately, I ordered a 8.5 and got a 9.5! The shoes were so long that the widest part of my foot was pinched by the shoe's waist.

Big ups to Epaulet though. They just rushed out my correct size. These things are gorgeous though..can't wait!

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the unlined PTB have an antique welt? May I ask where you picked those up, they look pretty new!
+1

Does it also happen to be the Dover pattern? I've been searching high and low for that exact shoe for the past 48 hours, and haven't found anything.

BTW, Does anyone know if there are any Alden retailers on West Roosevelt Road in Chicago that are currently having a sale???

Last edited:

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for me.. once I got the naval boot in #8 I realized I'd be grabbing them more often than the jcrew pct. im casually dressed for the most part

I had the JCrew Captoes before, sold them, and recently purchased them again, .5 size up. They are more comfortable now, so I think they will stick around longer. Mine are great because they don't have any flaws that Alden shoes regularly come with (weird indentations or scratches, uneven color, easily broken/pulled speedhooks, etc.).

...and I bought them because I wanted a solid go to boot that would look good with a gray suit and a pair of jeans!

For the record I bought mine off of a J.Crew go between
smile.gif

Thank you, gentlemen. That is very useful. I'm excited about mine (actually more excited about these than I am about the Leffot Tanker, which seems somehow like a blasphemous statement, but I see myself getting more use out of them). I do have to consider what I'd do if I had the opportunity to get the naval boot instead though. I think, for me, I prefer the 270 welt, but it's a tough choice.

Last edited:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

nephew uncle nephew uncle nephew

sup nephew

For the record I bought mine off of a J.Crew go between :)

same here, i wanted a go to lace up and looked for a lot of sw&d brands but wound up taking a risk with good old alden, i bought these:
from LS and it was my first alden in plaza last. They are comfy right out of the box and they are my go to footwear as of late. Of course it helps that i did not have those QC issues moo mentioned.

i sense more aldens in my future...

Last edited:

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I slept on my chance to grab those. Too bad. Those are just phenomenal.

circleslife

Reaction score
When did they do this run? I have been looking for ravello chukka forever

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

For those guys selling their JCrew #8 cap toe boots, I'm just curious.  Why do you think it is that you did not wear them/decide they didn't work in your rotation?  Redundancy?  Didn't work with wardrobe?  I'm waiting for a pair of mine, though I am not yet sure if I will keep them, given that I have 3 other pre-orders for boots.  Would be interesting to know.

cannibalism. #8 is such a versatile color that youre tempted to purchase it every makeup that pops up. im sure many here can wear a unique #8 makeup everyday of the week but alas only 7 days in the week. one of my 2 pairs of #8 captoe boots have to go

Last edited:

aldenwear

Reaction score
Does anyone have a tip on where I might be able to find dark brown CXL chukkas on commando? I've searched online but haven't seen anything. Thanks in advance.
ShoeMart in CT stocks this model. So does a retailer in Atlanta, GA called H. Stockton. H. Stockton stocks (pun sort of intended) the chukka only in "D" widths.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cannibalism. #8 is such a versatile color that youre tempted to purchase it every makeup that pops up. im sure many here can wear a unique #8 makeup everyday of the week but alas only 7 days in the week. one of my 2 pairs of #8 captoe boots have to go

#8 pct boot
#8 indy
#8 naval
#8 wingtip plaza boot
#8 plaza chukka

one had to go lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads