• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I recently asked Kathy at DC and Joe at TSM about the possibility of a Ravello Brixton boot and both told me it would not happen. Kathy said she wouldn't even consider it because the factory wouldn't fulfill the order because the supply of Ravello is limited.
I recently asked Kathy at DC and Joe at TSM about the possibility of a Ravello Brixton boot and both told me it would not happen. Kathy said she wouldn't even consider it because the factory wouldn't fulfill the order because the supply of Ravello is limited.

Yeah, new styles of boots and shoes in rare colors are a no go for pretty much all retailers. But Alden DC has gotten both ravello PTBs and longwings in just recently. Basic stock models in rare colors seem to be getting made year after year.

brostymie

Reaction score
Whisky shortwing bal

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello everyone,
          So I'm looking for a bit of advice. I currently own two pairs of Alden's, both chukkas; Shell color 8, and unlined suede in tan. I'm looking into my next purchase but I'm torn. Part of me wants a classic blucher, perhaps color 8 longwing. Part of me wants a good boot, ideally the cigar indy with commando sole (however intangible they may be at the moment). 

My question is- which pair do you find yourself wearing most? In this stage of my collection, I'm looking for practicality over prestige. I'd like to get a versatile pair of shoes that I can wear semi-daily, and may add an extra dimension to my humble collection. 

Thanks! 

The longwing is a classic that is versatile and, if you like the look, great-looking.  It is also available now, or sort of now, in a number of different configurations.  Moreover, it will likely be so long before you can get the cigar Indy, you could get the longwings now, get on a list for the Indys now, and perhaps have both within 12-24 months.

Color 8 long wings. Easy to wear just about everyday.

I agree with aldenwear and DV on this one. If I were to do it all over again the 975 (#8 shell LWB) would be my first pair of Aldens (and should be your 3rd :D )

Last edited:

masaccio

Reaction score

J Crew December catalog for December shows a handsome perf'd captoe boot in natty CXL

Ahem. Do you mean "the J. Crew Style Guide?"

Nerdy alden dream...
Take the delorian back to 1989, bet it all on the pistons, take the winnings into alden of Carmel and MTO one of each.
Then, make clever investments if there's any money left.

Random 1989 Detroit Piston moment: I just stood in a taxi line behind John Salley here in Shanghai. He's here for some winemakers convention. Apparently he's got a vegan wine he's invested in.

He was not wearing Alden's, probably because @totalair1 has bought anything that might have fit him! (Gratuitous/tenuous link to the thread). He was surprisingly well-dressed in chinos and a muted plaid odd jacket, which were well-fitted to his giant frame, though.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, new styles of boots and shoes in rare colors are a no go for pretty much all retailers. But Alden DC has gotten both ravello PTBs and longwings in just recently. Basic stock models in rare colors seem to be getting made year after year.

I think Alcibiades is right. If you want rare shell, you are much more likely to find it in a stock model such as a PTB (Alden NY got these recently), LWB (Alden DC got these recently), LHS, chukka, or NST.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

thams

Reaction score
Quote:
I called Citi Shoes last night about the Whiskey LWB -- I was told that they only have very large sizes left. Not sure if that means 13D or E, but it might be worth a shot to give them a shout.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, does anyone know why Alden doesn't make use of "brown' shell cordovan as a common (not rare) shell? Because while ravello, cigar, etc. might be limited, Allen Edmonds says that just "brown" shell is totally available and they can get plenty of it, just as available as #8. I've seen AE's brown shell, and it's really pretty, I don't see any reason to fault it for its color or shade at all.

Last edited:

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 to both.  I have acquired a few recent J Crew suits that I've purchased fairly cheap, on sale in the last 6 months.  The cut is definitely more modern and becoming compared to some traditionally cut BB suits. I'm wondering though, how well they will hold up in the long run.  I suppose I will find out soon enough...
Thanks RTP. When Mickey Drexler of J Crew decided to start offering men's suiting I don't believe he was trying to compete with the likes of Hickey-Freeman.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why Alden doesn't make use of "brown' shell cordovan as a common (not rare) shell? Because while ravello, cigar, etc. might be limited, Allen Edmonds says that just "brown" shell is totally available and they can get plenty of it, just as available as #8. I've seen AE's brown shell, and it's really pretty, I don't see any reason to fault it for its color or shade at all.

I don't see any reason that cigar should be 'rare'. Especially not in the shade of my new PTBs. That color can cover any hide impurities!

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NST blucher and this one

Agreed. Selling the black tankers and picking up the longwings on commando makes a lot of sense from a portfolio standpoint... Black captoe boot, black longwing on commando, black unlined PTB and black NST spans functions and seasons. Throwing the tankers in the marketplace and on eBay on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads