• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Any pics?

I'd like to see real life pics of these with the crepe sole.

Thanks,

Surprisingly there is only one pic on the website and it doesn't show the sole. I'm pretty sure it has the leather toe. The shoes arrive on Tuesday and I'll be sure to post a few pics when they get here.

Thanks.

Just a warning. The pic on J Crew site shows an oak/mid brown welt.
The welt is actually dark as shown in kwhitelaw's pic.
I returned mine because of the dark welt. I might have kept them if I didn't already have a standard pair.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I returned mine because of the dark welt. I might have kept them if I didn't already have a standard pair.

yup. I almost returned my pair (as I intended to eventually swap crepe for leather down the road) and the natural welt would have been best.

I got them at one of the random jcrew oddball discounts, so I decided to keep them.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yep, I ordered them with one of those random jcrew discounts that work on Aldens as well.
I liked the light welt and the discount was enough to push me over the edge. Also being crepe sole it was different enough from the 875's I already have.
I was very disappointed when I saw the dark welt.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll keep an open mind until I see them but the lighter welt was a key for me. Darker welt means they will likely go back. Quite disappointing.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

First day of the season taking out NAMOR's old boots. #8 JGilbert Captoes on Plaza.

You wear them better than I ever did. Very nice sir

REguy

Reaction score

This is not directly related to Alden, but I thought fellow members may be interested in these USA-made Repair Kit chests from H Gerstner & Sons. Their "12 Repair Kit" happens to be the perfect size for storing shoe care supplies, and they're having a 107th Birthday Sale right now. I think it's a great way to support another USA manufacturer, as well as organize all your Alden shoe care supplies:

Thanks for the heads up. I keep all my cleaning supplies in a cardboard box, so this is the best $230 I've spent in a long time. These things look built to last which makes me hope my great grandchildren appreciate shoes too.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I keep all my cleaning supplies in a cardboard box, so this is the best $230 I've spent in a long time. These things look built to last which makes me hope my great grandchildren appreciate shoes too.

I'm in for $230 but unless I'm looking at the wrong item, my browser indicates $280.

FENWAY

Reaction score
Heading out into the crappy weather wearing 'Otis'

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[/spoiler]

I like really like these a lot, awesome casual boot. Are these the navy CXL ones from Leffot? They look almost black in the pics, but I'm sure they look more navy IRL

Yes, thy are the Leffot version. They can look quite dark in certain lighting. I think the darkness is good as they can stand up to raw indigo denim well. This is indeed a great casual boot - man cannot live on cordovan alone

Alcibiades, thank you for posting these. I now feel like I'm in good company. I find the navy leffot cxl wtbs to be one of the cushiest pairs I own. They even get comments from patients on days I'm dressing casually. Hope you're enjoying them!

They are very comfortable. Honestly I misjudged Leffot's navy Alden offerings (suede and chromexcel) due to the heavy contrast between the soles and such. However, they are casual shoes, and the work great in casual settings. I am seriously considering preordering their navy suedes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads