• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dusttruffle

Reaction score
so j gilbert do make ups other than the ones listed on their website? interesting. do they do standard alden offerings aswell?
the six eyelet chukkas look great.

Last edited:

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone size down 1/2 size from TTS on the Hampton last? Just got some snuff suede medallion bal oxfords (my first Hampton) and there's a good bit of of room at the heel. Same thing happened to me with the Tremont, had to go Barrie size. Thoughts?

aldenwear

Reaction score
Anyone size down 1/2 size from TTS on the Hampton last? Just got some snuff suede medallion bal oxfords (my first Hampton) and there's a good bit of of room at the heel. Same thing happened to me with the Tremont, had to go Barrie size. Thoughts?

If you need it, you need it. The Hampton last fits me true to size.

Tremont is one of Alden's largest lasts -- right up there with barrie -- so no surprise that you would go Barrie size on Tremont.

CEE88

Reaction score

[\spoiler]
[/spoiler]

I need me some plaza!!!!!
Hah - all it takes is money...and if you want the LS or JG make ups, then unfortunately a little bit of time too.

Regarding the break in question brokeassp posed earlier, I think it pays to break in shoes slowly - wear on carpet the first few times, for an hour or two. I also like to wear new shoes when i'm sitting down a lot, so they warm up and flex more easily when I walk. For me, it has nothing to do with returnability because, once they crease, they're yours (IMO).

Last edited:

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my thoughts exactly @kwhitelaw @CEE88, once they crease, can`t really return them anymore. As for the flexing, I doubt any cracking would occur unless the leather is really dry off the box

CEE88

Reaction score

all this plaza uploading is making my want to dump my jcrew pcts for a pair in plaza, either pct or straight captoe

Why not both?

honestly? I have the leffot antique edge PCT boot also, so the jcrew dark edge tends to gather dust

Kwhitelaw, I don't see an issue with having the J Crew PCT boot AND a plaza cap toe mostly because I have both boots. They feel and look so different. But if you throw in another PCT then I see why you might want to move one of them. Good luck with your decision.

CEE88

Reaction score

my thoughts exactly @kwhitelaw @CEE88, once they crease, can`t really return them anymore. As for the flexing, I doubt any cracking would occur unless the leather is really dry off the box
agreed. It's just about taking it easy and being careful with a $700 shoe/boot.

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah that is true but tbh I would do the mac method if I had the carpet simply because uncle is doing it haha. better safe than sorry

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kwhitelaw, I don't see an issue with having the J Crew PCT boot AND a plaza cap toe mostly because I have both boots. They feel and look so different. But if you throw in another PCT then I see why you might want to move one of them. Good luck with your decision.

I agree, but currently I'm holding #8 indy from LS, #8 PCT from jcrew, and #8 antique edge from leffot. the indy get most use, and I prefer antique edge of leffot over the jcrew.

the jcrews might be leaving the stable soon, which I may look for a plaza #8 of some sort (although I already have #8 plaza chukka so that might satisfy that need)

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah that is true but tbh I would do the mac method if I had the carpet simply because uncle is doing it haha. better safe than sorry

no disrepect to mac and his method, but if I followed the break in procedure, most of my shoes would never hit asphalt (as I get minimal rotation, and through warmer months, I reach for my shoes from oakstreet or newenglandouterwear)

100 yrs

Reaction score

Anyone heard anything about color 8 6 eyelet chukka from JGilbert?

not confirmed by alden, still a pipe dream at this point. no idea why a 6-eyelet chukka isn't a stock makeup with so many people seemingly having a tough time with the 2-eyelet version...

CEE88

Reaction score

no disrepect to mac and his method, but if I followed the break in procedure, most of my shoes would never hit asphalt (as I get minimal rotation, and through warmer months, I reach for my shoes from oakstreet or newenglandouterwear)
You sound like a good person to buy shoes from!
Really, I am somewhat the same: most of my shoes don't get a lot of miles. I have a color 8 plaza plain toe boot from almost two years ago and it's still basically new. Exceptions are my 990s, Roy boots and Quoddys - all three get the nod over the others in the stable on most days (further exceptions are two new acquisitions - 8 Indys and 8 Rangers - which have been getting daily wear since acquisition).

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You sound like a good person to buy shoes from!
Really, I am somewhat the same: most of my shoes don't get a lot of miles. I have a color 8 plaza plain toe boot from almost two years ago and it's still basically new. Exceptions are my 990s, Roy boots and Quoddys - all three get the nod over the others in the stable on most days (further exceptions are two new acquisitions - 8 Indys and 8 Rangers - which have been getting daily wear since acquisition).

sadly, other than some cigar chukkas and plain old 403 indys, everything else gathers dust. weather is unpredictable, and I find myself stomping through construction sites and/or in a position where I'm pulling my shoes off 7-8 times a day, so all eyelet make-ups etc get tiresome.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

not confirmed by alden, still a pipe dream at this point. no idea why a 6-eyelet chukka isn't a stock makeup with so many people seemingly having a tough time with the 2-eyelet version...

I know many have issue a with the two eyelet chukka here, but remember it is apparently one of Alden's best selling models, so they may not see a need to address it... I think Leather Soul used to say they were their best selling Alden shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads