• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I destroyed a pair of modified captoe #8s this weekend in miami. I havent even taking them out of my luggage cause I'm afraid to survey the damage.

what's alden charge for e refurb :rotflmao: ? I may just send in for a resole and get the uppers restored cause I for sure beat the piss out of them

nephew,
post picture and you will get some thoughts on the matter
if it gives you any comfort just look at mr dv before and after pictures
restoration does a good job

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

nephew,
good looking nst

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe most recraft/restoration jobs (B Nelson, AE, Alden, etc...) include a fresh new cork bed without the original owner's imprint.  Not sure if that's what you mean by "flattening out" the insole/imprint.  You do not have to specify that with B Nelson as that is included in both of their recraft/resole packages.

I"ll just pass along my experience with this. Perhaps others have had different experiences.

In the last month I have had recrafts come back from Alden and BNelson. Neither had a new corkbed/insole, and each had the exact same imprint as they did prior to the recraft. In the last 6 months I have had recrafts come back from AE. Those also had no new corkbeds/insoles and had the same imprint upon their return. That is consistent with literally every recraft I have had done at each of these 3 places.

Assuming one is the original owner of the shoe being recrafted, he would typically not want a new corkbed/insole. Indeed, getting an otherwise new shoe back -while still retaining the previous imprint- is a major (if not the most important) reason for going the recraft route in the first instance.

It is perhaps a service each of these three offer, but it has never happened to me, and I have never specified - one way or the other - whether I want it done or do not want it done.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Haven't been participating much recently because of the crazy job hunt and move but I hope everyone is doing well. MP: Working out the details and but I'll be a Michigan resident in less than 2 weeks! Uncle: Might not be Texas but Michigan taxes are less than NYC! Car insurance is crazy though... I think I found everyone's dessert?
9563263628_3462eb9a19.jpg
nephew, how did it taste good luck on the job hunt you are getting closer to texas

doopdoop

Reaction score

I use venetian on my cxl, reno on shell.

thats just me though

would there be anything wrong with using ventian (or saphir renovateur) and obenauf's LP at the same time on indy's?

Last edited:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Wow, all three of them (AE, Alden, and B Nelson) specify that they strip the old corkbed out and apply a new one. In fact, I've seen videos that show them (AE and Alden) doing this. B Nelson's description on their web page indicates the same.

However, I have never done a recraft so I can't say with any certainty. I suppose I can understand the original owner wanting to keep the same mold on the corkbed, but an enthusiast like MrDV who purchases an older used pair of Aldens with the intention of sending it to Alden for recraft with new corkbed certainly has that desired expectation. I have no idea if there is a structural/functional need for new cork over time, but it sure sounds like it when you read or watch descriptions of the process. I do not know though.

I feel like I learn something new everyday on this thread.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today, Alden for BB Medallion CTB with charcoal gray suit...
OILER]

nephew,
looking good in your king medallion cap toe
one of alden's best models
wear in good health

gosheik

Reaction score
I agree with everything RTP wrote with the exception of the fatiguing part - I often wear boots at work (in an office) and I haven't found them to be any less comfortable than a shoe. The only time I really notice I'm wearing boots instead of shoes is when I'm walking down stairs.
Excellent. Thank you!
Agree with this...even on stairs I can't tell the difference
Thanks, Don L!

gosheik: I'm also interested in hearing if you think having a chukka and a cap toe boot in the same color cordovan has felt a bit redundant/too similar, and perhaps would avoid it if you could do it all over again.

no
Thanks!

I only own two dress boots (shell) and have not worn them to work much. I don't think the speedhooks or full-eyelet makes a difference. You will have the same pressure on the shins with both. If you are up and about all day, it does get a little exhausting on the shins. But if you are sitting down at your desk most of the day, it shouldn't be bad at all.

As far as redundancy, you're probably asking the wrong crowd, especially when it comes to color 8 or "KIng," "royalty," etc... However, I would venture to guess that most here think there is a significant enough difference between the chukka and a cap toe boot. (I do not own a chukka.)

I suppose you should acquire what feels best to you and your wardrobe. Good luck my friend...
Thanks, ReepTiePrepster. That was helpful!

Appreciate all the responses. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the cap toe : )

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, all three of them (AE, Alden, and B Nelson) specify that they strip the old corkbed out and apply a new one.  In fact, I've seen videos that show them (AE and Alden) doing this.  B Nelson's description on their web page indicates the same.

However, I have never done a recraft so I can't say with any certainty.  I suppose I can understand the original owner wanting to keep the same mold on the corkbed, but an enthusiast like MrDV who purchases an older used pair of Aldens with the intention of sending it to Alden for recraft with new corkbed certainly has that desired expectation.  I have no idea if there is a structural/functional need for new cork over time, but it sure sounds like it when you read or watch descriptions of the process.  I do not know though.

I feel like I learn something new everyday on this thread.

True - I can totally understand the desire for an insole with no imprint under certain circumstances. And i am no cobbler - and don't even pretend to know, step by step, exactly what they do (that is why i pay them to do it). I was just passing along my experience that my pre-recraft insole imprint was precisely the same upon each pair's return. That was my expected result, but your point above about wanting the exact opposite is very well taken.

I have read over at AAAC where the AE CEO states that AE cannot replace the insole during a recraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads