1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I had a similar situation with a pair of shoes I bought for my wedding. I made the mistake of not breaking them in before my wedding. So I proceeded to wear them for about 12 hours straight on my wedding day. Bad idea. My feet were killing me by the end of the night and my big toe on my left foot ended up numb for over a month!

I wore the shoes for the second time to a wedding last weekend and they were very comfortable. I didn't feel any discomfort. I guess the 12 hour break-in did the trick!

2. NYDRH

NYDRH Well-Known Member

I think it is a great service that company's like Alden offer, and I hope they continue to offer it as it is a nice option to have as a customer. I'm not suggesting anyone disagrees with the previous statement just wanted to put it out there.

I understand the relative cost/benefit comparison between shell and non-shell makes a difficult case for restoring non-shell, however I don't think their actual cost of the restoration regardless of margin differs much from shell to CXL, the materials for re-soling and refinishing most likely do not vary. The majority of the price reflects labor costs, which increases every year and $159 to $165 YoY is not a large increase.

3. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

Were they Shell Alden Shoes?

I would caution the OP that if they are THAT ill fitting from the start, they probably won't ever fit well.

Also, to OP. Indy boots are said to be very comfortable right out of the box, so that doesn't surprise me. I would not expect that from all of Alden's models.

4. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

No, they were not shell Aldens. I was just relating to the OP wearing new shoes for a very long period of time.

5. ATLVol

ATLVol Well-Known Member

I am late to the party, but these are probably my favorite Aldens......cigar ptb dovers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. NYDRH

NYDRH Well-Known Member

Those are awesome! Never seen that makeup before.......

7. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

TLVol, did you buy those as is or did you get them resoled (I have only seen that version if the cigar PTB on a crepe sole)

8. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

I did not know they existed. Very cool!

9. ATLVol

ATLVol Well-Known Member

Alcibiades.......they came this way....I believe that it is a single-leather sole.....not flex

I am also not sure of the last but believe that they may be plaza as they look and fit similar to the plaza monks from Leather Soul I got on ebay not long ago.....definitely not barrie.

10. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

11. Mr.K

Mr.K Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    LeatherSoul Tankers on there first day out.

4 people like this.
  12. tigerpac

tigerpac Well-Known Member

Sazon - those are new right?

13. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

"Honey, I'm sorry I can't tonight. I've got to buff the rain spots out of my shoes."

14. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

Defender is your friend

15. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

Nice pickup!

Did you have to pre-order your unusual size?

16. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

1 person likes this.
  17. neutrino

neutrino Well-Known Member

A couple of bigger sized pairs on sale at Unionmade.
    Edit: too slow today [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  18. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Well-Known Member

Wondering if anyone could give me some insight on the barrie last? I've read a bunch on here, and I am still somewhat confused, or just need some clarity. Everyone says you should size down a half, but why? Is it because the Barrie is a long last, or a wide last? or is it both? I'm normally 12D/E. 12D is usually pretty good fit, but a touch snug on the sides at time, depending on the last. (12D on the AE 1 last is great with thin socks, 12E with thicker socks). Would someone who is 12E wear a 12D in the barrie?

19. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Polished my Aldens, 3.5 months heavy wear, used mac's method

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    4 people like this.
  20. GooseG

GooseG Well-Known Member

Curious- how many of you simply accept various fit issues with some of your pairs?

I'm a 9D Brannock,but my balmorals are big in the heel. Size down for Indys, but the CXL stretched a bit (but still ok). Yet the same size in Barrie is almost too snug!

Or maybe I should say: how much toe room do you guys usually have in your boots?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.