• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im curious if my natty indys are in this order or not.. for people who have pre-ordered with leffot before, how long does it usually take to hear from them if you pre-ordered?

thanks in advance

CitizenDick

Reaction score
I'm a newbie on Alden and haven't own any.
I am seriously going to buy Alden wingtip boot-Barrie Last and i need your suggestion on size.

My RedWing Moc Toe boot size is 8 1/2 D - width is perfect, length is slightly too long, but still all right. (8D is too tight).
My Wesco JobMaster boot size is also 8 1/2D - width is perfect, length is the same as above.
My White's Cougar boot size is also 8 1/2D.
My Nike sneaker size is 9US.

Please suggest what size of Alden - wingtip boot(Barrie last) i should take. The shop doesn't offer E width.

Thank you for your generous suggestion.

imolazhp_ci

Reaction score

I'm a newbie on Alden and haven't own any.
I am seriously going to buy Alden wingtip boot-Barrie Last and i need your suggestion on size.
My RedWing Moc Toe boot size is 8 1/2 D - width is perfect, length is slightly too long, but still all right. (8D is too tight).
My Wesco JobMaster boot size is also 8 1/2D - width is perfect, length is the same as above.
My White's Cougar boot size is also 8 1/2D.
My Nike sneaker size is 9US.
Please suggest what size of Alden - wingtip boot(Barrie last) i should take. The shop doesn't offer E width.
Thank you for your generous suggestion.

based on your Nike size i'd say an 8. i'm an 8.5 Nike and wear a 7.5 Barrie.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some modified last p0rn, just got home so no sunshine but needed to get some photos in. Should just pony up the cash and get the cigar version as well. The modified black ones seem like an Anatomica makeup with all eyelets and unlined shaft.

The black boot with speedhooks is barrie lasted AF60 for comparison

Comparison shots:

kippy

Reaction score

Congratulations! How about some picts?

Thanks kindly.

Here are some phone pics of both the Whiskey Chukka's and the Color #4 Captoes I picked up.

The #4 color looks fairly accurate in the photo but the Whiskey is darker in person.

elvi679

Reaction score
when people say that "lasts" do not work for them, what do you mean? I have some of the Alden Barrie last that seem to work well, however when I wear Grant last my toes seem to get pinched (there is room, however I think I walk a bit on the inside of my shoe). do I need to always be a Size "e" or is it something with the last??

Eleganza

Reaction score
when people say that "lasts" do not work for them, what do you mean? I have some of the Alden Barrie last that seem to work well, however when I wear Grant last my toes seem to get pinched (there is room, however I think I walk a bit on the inside of my shoe). do I need to always be a Size "e" or is it something with the last??
Most likely it's the last.

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/fitting.htm

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unionmade has several new models up, including a calfskin chukka on a goodyear wedge sole, an alpine grain / loden green saddle on double waterlock, an a brown alpine grain longwing on double waterlock....

I would note that two of the crepe soled models they released a couple of weeks ago (color 8 wingtip boot and the black alpine grain longwing) are almost sold out. Someone must like those crepe soles

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In the grant last, if Barrie D width works OK for you, you may either need to size up one length or one width. My best fitting boots are 10E in grant (I can wear 10D in barrie, though I prefer 9.5E)

CTYGGG

Reaction score

Thanks kindly.
Here are some phone pics of both the Whiskey Chukka's and the Color #4 Captoes I picked up.
The #4 color looks fairly accurate in the photo but the Whiskey is darker in person.

Kippy, some really nice purchases there, as always wear them in health.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What size are the Barrie and Grant shoes you have?

I agree with Alcibiades above and think you have a couple of options left before you toss the Grant as a last that doesn't work for you. Definitely try the Grant in your current size in an E width if you can find it, or you could a .5 size up (e.g. 9.5D). Either could help here, depending on the circumstances.

Last edited:

CTYGGG

Reaction score

#8 Indy & EP

Last edited:

Dr. D

Reaction score

When I say this it means that I cannot find a good combination of length and width to fit my foot on that particular last. For example, the barrie last has a wider heel. For some, this means they have to go more narrow to get a good heel fit, but then that narrow size squeezes the forefoot. Sometimes you can remedy this by going down a size and changing the width. And sometimes it just doesn't fit no matter what you try.

Other Alden lasts that can be troublesome are the LHS on the van last (you need a low instep because the strap is low) and the aberdeen last (very narrow).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads