• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HorseHide

Reaction score

I anticipate these pics - always wondered what a crepe sole to leather sole conversion looks like.

On that note; if one were to resole a factory crepe sole with a leather sole using a third party, then sent the shoes to Alden restoration, would it be resoled with a leather sole or crepe sole?

An SA at Alden SF told me they'll resole with whatever is on the shoe at the time of restoration.

Don't know if that's true - it's my understanding that they changed their policy because they couldn't keep track of all of the modifications once they disassembled the shoe. Now they just look up the model number (each unique make-up has a different model number).

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some pictures I took a few weeks ago.
You already know them by heart: the Alden LWB.
My first Whiskey LWB.

The right one nearly looks like Ravello. Probably because I brushed it a lot more than its sister - on the left (from my point of view).
I only used a damp cloth, a brush and a small spoon.
Excuse me, could you explain the spoon part for me. Thanks mucho~ Sorry picture haters, didn't know how to do this without pictures being viewed again, but ... what the hell great looking shoes... tough it out!

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't know if that's true - it's my understanding that they changed their policy because they couldn't keep track of all of the modifications once they disassembled the shoe. Now they just look up the model number (each unique make-up has a different model number).

True; indeed, literally each model (whether stock or unique make-up or whatever) has its own number. Even Alden for BB shoes have their own model numbers even if essentially the exact same shoe as a factory stock model, e.g., the shell monk from BB.

stanford88

Reaction score
Uncle,

Has someone asked you what your favorite or top Alden shoe is? What about shell color?

T

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gave in to peer pressure and have a pair of chrome excel indy oxfords on their way at a nice price.

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm considering getting in on Leffot's Alden Tanker Color 8 Pre-order. Unfortunately, the 8.5D is sold out … but the 8.5E is still available. I haven't had any experience with the Barrie last, but from what I've read, it similar to the Trubalance. I'm comfortable in an 8.5D Alden 403, so would the 8.5E be a good compromise or just wishful thinking? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm considering getting in on Leffot's Alden Tanker Color 8 Pre-order.  Unfortunately, the 8.5D is sold out … but the 8.5E is still available.  I haven't had any experience with the Barrie last, but from what I've read, it similar to the Trubalance.  I'm comfortable in an 8.5D Alden 403, so would the 8.5E be a good compromise or just wishful thinking?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much!!

If you are comfortable in an 8.5D Indy, then 8.5E Barrie is going to be substantially wider and offer more volume overall. Of course, they are boots so you will be able to lace them up to get a better fit and you can always wear heavier socks to fill them out.

Standard caveat is that these are $700+, so perhaps you want to wait to get a size you know is right for you.

Bottom line, my opinion is that 8.5E could work for you. It all depends on how committed you are to making it work.

Last edited:

HorseHide

Reaction score

I'm considering getting in on Leffot's Alden Tanker Color 8 Pre-order.  Unfortunately, the 8.5D is sold out … but the 8.5E is still available.  I haven't had any experience with the Barrie last, but from what I've read, it similar to the Trubalance.  I'm comfortable in an 8.5D Alden 403, so would the 8.5E be a good compromise or just wishful thinking?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much!!

As Frank says, it might work but... Why not contact Context and see what they're doing (they offer what looks like the same boot and they are $3 cheaper with free shipping!)

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are comfortable in an 8.5D Indy, then 8.5E Barrie is going to be substantially wider and offer more volume overall. Of course, they are boots so you will be able to lace them up to get a better fit and you can always wear heavier socks to fill them out.
Standard caveat is that these are $700+, so perhaps you want to wait to get a size you know is right for you.
Bottom line, my opinion is that 8.5E could work for you. It all depends on how committed you are to making it work.

It'll be too big.
Thanks so much for the advice guys! I think I'll hold off. The 8.5D was available two nights ago, but was sold out by the time I was ready to pull the trigger. I've wanted the Color 8 Chukkas for awhile, so I think I'll try an 8.5D and see how it goes before being tempted by another pre-order. :)

Thanks Again!!

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ #8 Chukkas are a classic. I always love those when I see them posted here. None in my closet yet, but that's because they're always out there... waiting for me... :)

macjedi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As Frank says, it might work but... Why not contact Context and see what they're doing (they offer what looks like the same boot and they are $3 cheaper with free shipping!)
Thanks HorseHide! I saw that page a few days ago, but there weren't any sizes available in the pulldown so I figured it was an old page. I'll call them and see what's what. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads