• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanakit

Reaction score
And i see cap toe at alden of carmel

why the toe look very dull but i see cap toe from Union made Leffot and J crew the toe is sharp or cape

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my Aldens, they're definitely nice shoes, but I'd be very annoyed to have a shoe that's already been resoled, having just gotten it. Just means I'll have it for less time. Now I can't really notice the original issue, and I don't think it's that bad, I'm basically just speaking in general.

Fair enough, you have to be happy with it otherwise you won't be happy wearing the shoes.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

And i see cap toe at alden of carmel 

why the toe look very dull but i see cap toe from Union made Leffot and J crew  the toe is sharp or cape

ive wondered this exact same thing. the toe doesnt look as chiseled as a typical Plaza toe. Looks more like Barrie last. I have this boot and it bugs me because I expected to be more square. Great looking boot nonetheless

pic9809

Reaction score
I'm making decision to buy Cap toe in Color 8 so

which one is the best and then why J crew lace is too big

http://www.unionmadegoods.com/Alden_Kirkwood_Cordovan_Cap_Toe_Boot_in_Color_8_3527.html

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/AldenForJCrew/PRDOVR~20853/20853.jsp

Finally if i wear indy boot in 8 D what size i have to buy 8 or 8.5

let me add on a related question for people's opinions:
1. jcrew perforated cap toes (http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/AldenForJCrew/PRDOVR~20853/20853.jsp)
2. LSH color 8 jumpers (http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2009/07/29/alden-shoes-shell-cordovan-jumper-boots/)

Last edited:

pic9809

Reaction score
^ thx david3558.

i like the overall look of the LSH no8 jumpers as well - pull tab and all eyelets are both pluses. but am concerned about the true-balance last being too bulbous relative to the j.crew carries. anyone seen both in person?

Last edited:

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I always wear like that

BTW, I am wondering if #8 LHS works with shorts or not.

I totally wear my LHS with shorts! Has that old school Ivy league/vintage JFK look. color 8 LHS, khaki shorts, oxford shirt, raybans :slayer:

edited: thanks neutrino!

Last edited:

neutrino

Reaction score
I totally wear my LHS with shorts! Has that old school Ivy league/vintage JFK look. color 8 LHS, khaki shorts, oxford ****, raybans
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
pun intended?
laugh.gif

Kashiwa

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does the Barrie last have a ridiculously wide heel?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

yeah, i've emailed epaulet twice and haven't received a response
edit: grammar

Mentioned already, but Mike and Adele are in Europe this week, I'm sure he'll get back to you when he's back.

This is Alden we are talking about. Quality control and finishing are lacking in many parts of each shoe.!

** should a fix be warranted

Call Alden.  I suspect they'll help you out.  I stained my conservation boots and sent them back for refinishing.  They fixed them up and sent them back at no charge to me, though I offered to pay.  I received new laces too.  No complaints there.

About three weeks.  They called me before doing any work.  Alden was very diligent in that regard.  My compliments to the factory staff for their service.
Normally, I would agree with you.  But Alden is  .  .  .  Alden.  I wouldn't be upset if I had to send a new boot back for recrafting.  I would be upset if they didn't do anything to correct the problem.  There's going to be problems with a hand finished shoe (hand sewn or machined by hand).  Some of these will make it through quality control (i.e. Alden's error rate).  They're still nice shoes.

As much as I'd love to jump on the "a 700 shoe needs to be perfect," a few things I've come to get comfortable with:
1- When you pay $700 for Aldens, you are not necesarrily paying for the perfect shoe. You're paying for something rare, that doesn't come around all too often, and sells out damn near instantaneously.
2- They're shoes. We wear them on our feet, all over the ground that has god knows what on it and treats them like a cheap hooker's pimp.

Unless its a real construction issue (which I've had on my Whiskey and Ravello LWBs) where the shoe will fall apart if its not fixed, I've learned not to sweat over these things (like the missed punch holes...who the hell looks at shoes that closely anyway?). If it is a serious construction issue, like I've had, I've found Alden to be extremely helpful in repairing and sending me back the shoe, yes I was out the $30 to ship them to Mass, but again, that's part of owning Aldens. When you buy a classic car for $50k, do you complain that parts are too expensive when they go?

If you can accept these things then you'll learn to love and appreciate these shoes even more. if not, spend more on Carmina or Vass.

^ thx david3558.  
i like the overall look of the LSH no8 jumpers as well - pull tab and all eyelets are both pluses.  but am concerned about the true-balance last being too bulbous relative to the j.crew carries.  anyone seen both in person?

I have the Jumper, its an awesome boot. I wouldn't worry about the Trubalance being too bulbous. And if it is, the shoe will sell out damn near instantly, so I'm sure you'd find a buyer rather quickly to get your $$ back.

HorseHide

Reaction score
^ I think we should explore your reference to "cheap hookers" in a little more detail...:nodding:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads