• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLEFORUM MEETUP - Styleforum and Epaulet at Alfargo's Market NYC (9/27 and 9/28)

This Friday and Saturday night, please join Styleforum and Epaulet at the esteemed Alfargo's Marketplace. It will take place at the Neue House on 25th Street and Park Ave. Everyone is welcome. Check out our Alpaca Project and have beverage on us.

Details can be found here

Fok and the Styleforum Team and Epaulet.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

JTMD

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am sure this was mentioned/covered in one of previous 120 thread pages, but excuse me for not going through it all. :)

I'm looking to get my first trully-high-end shoes and my guts tell me it's the Alden 684 (full strap, color 8).

Since there are very few on-line retailers in Europe and sizing info I get from them is very scarce I thought I should try here.
Usually I wear EU42 in loafers (Morjas and others made in Italy/Spain...), my feet measure 27,7cm (left) and 27,1cm (right). I would say my feet are of standard/medium width.

What size should I try first?

Thank you in advance!

What are "the others" made in Spain? Any Carmina's? You wear 42 in loafers..ok..and what size do you wear with lace ups?

The 684 is in the Aberdeen last. It is Alden's narrowest

alden-lasts-guide.jpg

Are 42s tight? Perfect? Loose?
Screenshot_20240618_085545_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

kubalondon

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am sure this was mentioned/covered in one of previous 120 thread pages, but excuse me for not going through it all. :)

I'm looking to get my first trully-high-end shoes and my guts tell me it's the Alden 684 (full strap, color 8).

Since there are very few on-line retailers in Europe and sizing info I get from them is very scarce I thought I should try here.
Usually I wear EU42 in loafers (Morjas and others made in Italy/Spain...), my feet measure 27,7cm (left) and 27,1cm (right). I would say my feet are of standard/medium width.

What size should I try first?

Thank you in advance!
My feet are 27.3cm and 26.5, but also 11.5cm wide. I tried TLB Mallorca (wider fitting than C&J) in UK size 8 / 42 but had to let them go eventually as they were just too tight.

I feel the fitting you have at 42 is very very snug (maybe your foot is also narrower).

I tried Alden LHS size US 9.5 and this had too much heel slippage (it does have wider last than the shoe you are looking at). US9 was much better in LHS. Given that I think you like tight fit, my sense is your size would be US8.5.

All widths I tried are D in Alden as that is all we have available in the UK.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Many years ago, when I first started collecting shoes, I would find AE shoes on Ebay at a low price and then clean them up. Mrs. Smfdoc thought that was fine since I was getting them by not spending much and making the best out of them. She is still under this impression all these many years later. Seems the subject never came up again, so I did not really go in to any detail about the price reality of Alden shoes.

Yesterday, I was driving home from a weekend with a son when she saw the billboard and suggested I stop in to see what they had available in my size. Well, I was born at night but not last night. I was NOT going to stop at TSM where they have a fine display and current Alden prices. That would be like introducing her to my new French maid. I said, "Oh, that is not necessary. I have all the shoes I really need" and I drove right past exit 16. One learns a thing or three after 45 years of marriage.

IMG_0634 2.jpg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Blue CXL Tuesday.

IMG_0638.jpg

JTMD

Reaction score
Many years ago, when I first started collecting shoes, I would find AE shoes on Ebay at a low price and then clean them up. Mrs. Smfdoc thought that was fine since I was getting them by not spending much and making the best out of them. She is still under this impression all these many years later. Seems the subject never came up again, so I did not really go in to any detail about the price reality of Alden shoes.

Yesterday, I was driving home from a weekend with a son when she saw the billboard and suggested I stop in to see what they had available in my size. Well, I was born at night but not last night. I was NOT going to stop at TSM where they have a fine display and current Alden prices. That would be like introducing her to my new French maid. I said, "Oh, that is not necessary. I have all the shoes I really need" and I drove right past exit 16. One learns a thing or three after 45 years of marriage.

View attachment 2202053

Yeah.. not so easy for me as I get most of my purchases delivered to my wife's office.. 😅

kubalondon

Reaction score
I just picked up some saphir cordovan cream to use. I am working on some color 8 tassels so I will report soon. I love the darker parts of my unlined LHS. View attachment 2199611
Hi. Any update on this?

I just received my LHS colour 8. I was really after a loafer that is darker than dark brown and basically off-black.. So this colour 8 one was just perfect out of the box. As I have a lot of brown shoes and one black pair of oxfords…, I am a little concerned this will just end up being another brown-ish shoe to choose from (once the black colour fades).

We have almost no choice here for Alden so it would be a matter of waiting for a black shell LHS in case it does show up in London one day..

JTMD

Reaction score
Hi. Any update on this?

I just received my LHS colour 8. I was really after a loafer that is darker than dark brown and basically off-black.. So this colour 8 one was just perfect out of the box. As I have a lot of brown shoes and one black pair of oxfords…, I am a little concerned this will just end up being another brown-ish shoe to choose from (once the black colour fades).

We have almost no choice here for Alden so it would be a matter of waiting for a black shell LHS in case it does show up in London one day..

Color 8 (burgundy). You're afraid it will turn brown?

kubalondon

Reaction score
Color 8 (burgundy). You're afraid it will turn brown?
I should have been more specific.. I work in the City in London. The rule of ‘no brown in town’ has *largely* died down. But for the most part brown/earthy (incl. Burgundy/colour 8), look still off - everyone walking in navy/grey/black.

My idea was to have something ever slightly brighter than plain black shoe. Colour 8 in this dark shade is easy to pair with jeans, but can also get away with a navy suit without looking off even in the City (and not having earthy tones).

So yeah, ideally I would like the shoe to stay as it is, or at least know it can be restored to this state and last for some time (my first shell cordovan so not sure what exactly I can/cannot do. Calf amI would just polish with black).

Attachments

• IMG_6207.jpeg
    IMG_6207.jpeg
    257.3 KB · Views: 31

JTMD

Reaction score
I should have been more specific.. I work in the City in London. The rule of ‘no brown in town’ has *largely* died down. But for the most part brown/earthy (incl. Burgundy/colour 8), look still off - everyone walking in navy/grey/black.

My idea was to have something ever slightly brighter than plain black shoe. Colour 8 in this dark shade is easy to pair with jeans, but can also get away with a navy suit without looking off even in the City (and not having earthy tones).

So yeah, ideally I would like the shoe to stay as it is, or at least know it can be restored to this state and last for some time (my first shell cordovan so not sure what exactly I can/cannot do. Calf amI would just polish with black).

I know that Alden re-crafting has been known to get rid of all fading/patina..if they can do it, I'm guessing others can as well.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JTMD

Reaction score

Are you aware that #8 lightens considerably in the sun versus what you see indoors or on store websites?

JTMD

Reaction score

Same shoes inside and outside...
1000037435.jpg

1000037449.jpg

1000037731 2.jpg

1000037782.jpg

kubalondon

Reaction score
Are you aware that #8 lightens considerably in the sun versus what you see indoors or on store websites?
Yes. As in I took this pair also outside. It’s absolutely fine as is out of the box.

seeing some replies here I feel I am not appreciating the colour 8 for what it is and wondering if I am better off waiting/hoping to see one day LHS in black here..

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K.Bratt