• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions on whether the ill fit of the side of my shoes would be considered typical. The inner side of the left shoe pouches out as if there is too much leather and nowhere to put it. It is actually hollow and it can be pressed in about 1/2 inch. The entire pouch is circled in red and the maximum distortion is on the arrow. The right shoes has a much less noticable version of the issue, but the left shoe does not seem normal to me. Your thoughts?

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cigar CTs today. Guess the weather in NYC hasn't turned yet after all.

Keep me posted, I was planning to pack the rubber soles for Thurs/Fri of this week...

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking for opinions on whether the ill fit of the side of my shoes would be considered typical. The inner side of the left shoe pouches out as if there is too much leather and nowhere to put it. It is actually hollow and it can be pressed in about 1/2 inch. The entire pouch is circled in red and the maximum distortion is on the arrow. The right shoes has a much less noticable version of the issue, but the left shoe does not seem normal to me. Your thoughts?
This is not normal and is becoming a recurring issue with Alden. I had a pair of boots with the same flaw and somebody just posted a pair of 990s or 9901s with a ripple/bubble. Unfortunately I don't know if you can return them because the vamp is creased/worn. Where did you buy them? Contact the vendor and see what can be done...

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

totalair1

Reaction score
Yes, they have been worn. I bought them from the shoe mart and they asked me to send them back for inspection.

I'm not certain there is a flaw. Keep in mind everybody has 2 feet that are different sizes. In many cases the width ias too wide,
and the length is too short. I'm not saying you don't have a flaw, but not saying you do. Many of my shoes/boots have side wrinkles. yours have it on
the right...just not as bad. Is the shoe laced tight enough on your left shoe? I see plenty of width left to tighten it based on the gap of the flaps. The crease in the vamp
looks right. Should you be a width more narrow? We need more info on how the shoe fits and branch sizing. In some cases the last does not fit the foot.
good Luck!

Steve

ironclad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not certain there is a flaw.  Keep in mind everybody has 2 feet that are different sizes.  In many cases the width ias too wide,
and the length is too short.  I'm not saying you don't have a flaw, but not saying you do.  Many of my shoes/boots have side wrinkles. yours have it on
the right...just not as bad.  Is the shoe laced tight enough on your left shoe?  I see plenty of width left to tighten it based on the gap of the flaps.  The crease in the vamp
looks right.  Should you be a width more narrow?  We need more info on how the shoe fits and branch sizing.  In some cases the last does not fit the foot.
good Luck!

Steve

Steve,
I know what you are referring to (sizing issues regarding width), but having been in the Alden game for a while now and having experienced the same issue as this gentleman, I can state with fact it is seconds-worthy. Definitely a manufacturing defect. It's almost as if the shell has fully separated from the lining during stitching and the end result can be a massive "bubble" between the shell and backing. Unfortunately it's not as fun or cost-effective to deal with as bubble wrap!

AMD500

Reaction score
So who's got black Shell pitt boots (9D or 9E) just sitting in their closet...all sad an unworn? I know this is a popular boot, but never see any pictures on here of people wearing them. I'd be happy to wear them for you.

Today way a Cigar Cap toe day for me.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

duff406

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Massdrop.com has a great deal on Woodlore shoe trees right now. Two pair for 34.99 plus S+H. works out to about 20 dollars per pair. I joined this drop last time they had it. the trees are great. Best trees available at that price point IMO. you jut have to register for the site. its free and they have some very cool drops.

PS: there is only two days left on the drop, so act fast.

Thanks for this tip, ones perfect. And I've been looking for an excuse to check out the Massdrop site. I appreciate the info!

totalair1

Reaction score

Steve,
I know what you are referring to (sizing issues regarding width), but having been in the Alden game for a while now and having experienced the same issue as this gentleman, I can state with fact it is seconds-worthy. Definitely a manufacturing defect. It's almost as if the shell has fully separated from the lining during stitching and the end result can be a massive "bubble" between the shell and backing. Unfortunately it's not as fun or cost-effective to deal with as bubble wrap!

I understand and agree if you can feel the gap the way you describe is likely a defect. TSM should be able to get things right for you.

Steve

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Inboxed the AoM Whiskey shell tankers. I like the color which is slightly darker than the whiskey from a few years ago. It's very vibrant and Carmel like which should age well. I like the pull tab on the back of the boot too. Steve
Steve, your new Tankers are looking superb. I hope that you enjoy them in good health!
cigar x ls
Those Cigars are just stunning D! I hope that they took good care of you today!
Wife is heading to San Diego next week for some training, really wishing Alden of SD was a real shop now haha
Ha! I hope that she has a good time and has some time to enjoy it! I think you are better off that it isn't a real store!
I grew up in San Diego and visit my parents there from time to time. Last time, I wore my Truman Boofs...but with all the SD/Alden talk, perhaps next time I will wear some of my Aldens...enjoying my tan alpine-grained modified captoe boots...but I feel my Barrie-last #8 chukkas might be more appropriate in SoCal.
Sounds like a good strategy! There are a few of us SD Aldenites.
@mdubs we could have carpooled
1f602.png
Ha! No offense, but that's a long drive with someone you don't really know! ;-)
Cigar CTs today. Guess the weather in NYC hasn't turned yet after all.
Very nice looking Cigars! Hah. Hope that you had good weather!
No explanations needed....
Don't be afraid to work in your work boots!
Looking good BK! Looks well loved!
Leffot Greenwich Boot.
Your Leffot Boots are looking absolutely stellar!
So who's got black Shell pitt boots (9D or 9E) just sitting in their closet...all sad an unworn? I know this is a popular boot, but never see any pictures on here of people wearing them. I'd be happy to wear them for you.
Today way a Cigar Cap toe day for me.
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
No Pitt boots here. Not looking too shabby in them Cigars. -Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics