• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The MC eyewear pr0n thread

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is time to start a dedicated thread for eyewear. There have been similar threads before and I hope that this thread becomes a discussion place for all eyewear that belongs in the MC/conservative business dress universe. There are many nice brands out there - MOSCOT, Shuron, Anglo American, American Optical (AO), Randolph Engineering (RE), SALT. Optics (more fashion forward and expensive, but some frames are really good), Cutler and Gross, etc. and the several brands owned by Luxottica group (which includes Oliver Peoples, Ray-Ban and Persol). Warby Parker and Classic Specs are also good companies that have good frames at a GREAT price point. Nackymade (in Japan) makes really good looking bespoke frames. They also sell RTW. I learnt about them from the Armoury tumblr. I've written at a couple of threads about Shuron, but I'll repeat this again - -they have been here a LONG time (since 1865) are a wonderful company with truly excellent customer service. They make a variety of very nice frames at very reasonable prices. The frames come in a huge variety of sizes (different combinations of lens sizes, bridge sizes and temple lengths on each frame model) unlike other frames out there and Shuron will work with you to find a frame that fits you perfectly. It is very important to get the right sizing on your eyeglasses to prevent eye strain and fatigue. A lot of people I see don't wear the right size (either too narrow and/or too short in lens width) and as with a lot of things, eyeglass fitting was done with much more patience and skill in the past. Just like with shoes, one has to look good with glasses, but not at the cost of fit
smile.gif
Shuron is also one of the companies left that make a truly high quality glass lenses (including high index options in both eyeglass and sunglass). While more expensive than plastic or polycarbonate lenses, I strongly prefer true glass lenses for two reasons: (1) I have a strong prescription. While good quality plastic lenses are good, glass is visibly superior. (2) better scratch resistance and (contrary to what people think). I usually select a good frame that fits me well and get very good lenses since that is the most important part! What is an SF pr0n thread without photos? Here are some photos of Shuron sidewinders. I found these photos on yahoo japan auctions websites. Mine are just like these (in the same size with a longer temple) and they fit really well. While black is probably more conservative business dress, I really love these frames and enjoy wearing them everyday.
18B4h.jpg
7yTQE.jpg
dQSpz.jpg
q6GL3.jpg
Rx0yJ.jpg
QEgXC.jpg
0vaGG.jpg
XXlIy.jpg
5MhqZ.jpg
The fit is so good that I am so tempted to get a pair of frames in black as well. I also have a pair of prescription sunglasses from Shuron (Sportivo model) and I'll see if I can post some photos of that. There are some really great frames out there and some of you guys have glasses made by other companies. Some of you even have bespoke frames. I request you to post photos and talk about your frames in this thread!

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have several vintage frames, but these are my favorites. I'd like to find them in a lighter shade someday. American Optical.

amopt.jpg

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Oliver Peoples the best widely available brand for sunglasses? Are they really better than most other Luxotica offerings? Are LV sunglasses worth the premium?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, am I to believe there are a host of 'craftsman' makers that make really high end frames, and that is very different from famous brands such as Cartier and LV which are not very good quality?

I dont really understand how this maps out.

netovargas90

Reaction score
Anything from the Oliver People Vintage is awesome. Even though I have 20/20 I'm trying to convince my parents to get me a pair of clear Rileys as reading glasses.

Reaction score
i made mine sunglasses though.
Robert-Geller-Marcello-Glasses_0A46C0A6.jpg
i dunno if they're better than cartier or lv. i remember cartier not being hideously expensive and they have interesting designs. forget about lv but i like their frames. they fit well. some are understated. love the medium browness of that shuron freeway btw.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some eyewear inspiration. Chunky frames are the best. Geek chic.

michaelcaine2.jpg

Michael_Caine-1.jpg

avedon.jpg

16842_411803470011_409910100011_10524917_2584631_n.jpg

Yves-Saint-Laurent-Hommage-2.jpg

carygrant.jpg

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the look of Moscot. Saw a pair of Miltzens in an optical shop in Sydney for the first time and was tempted to pull the trigger, if not for my May NPC vows....

Can anyone ID the frames Tom Wilkinson wears as Joe Kennedy in the recent miniseries? They almost have a Personl-like look about them:

Joe.jpg

Tom-Wilkinson-as-Joe-Kennedy.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads