• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The MBreinin vs. Reevolving Fit Battle Threak

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
No problem, MB. I appreciate your digging into your archives to "let it all hang out", so to speak. But, just as my blue jacket represents my sartorial errors, you should not be judged on past learning curves. "You're only as good as your last game" is the theme here. But, when it comes to the official vote, I think we should pick 2 pictures each, and go with it. Your old pictures have been previously rated by SF, and introduce bias into the final showdown. All the more reason to go with your new, unseen fits. I am confident. If you think your yellow jacket looks good, that is all I need to know. At the very least, I will beat that monstrosity.

all you ever do is talk around a topic endlessly without ever doing **** about it. stop creating a fragile hypothetical logical structure around which you can claim 10 years down the line that you argued your way out of getting your ass handed to you and POST PICS

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
+1 I don't know the best fix for it, Mike, but most of your jackets are creating (or perhaps accentuating) a lineman's silhouette.

FBBW0094.jpg

Well, then there is nothing I can do, but wear a sack. Every jacket pictured, with the exception of the vintage Oxxford, has a soft shoulder. Some are utterly devoid of any padding whatsoever (the SP DBs, the Kuhlman peak lapel SC, the first Polo, the vintage Blacker, the Polo Oxford). Those are my shoulders you see, I am not a 36R with sloped shoulders. I am 42 with broad, flat shoulders.

I have, almost universally, abandoned jackets with padding in the shoulders. Also, some of these have alot of waist suppression, some have less.

This is me, I can't change it. Idon't know what to do to make myself look less robust.

Luckily, it has never hampered me with the ladies.
smile.gif

Mike

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
MY EYES, MY EYES!

Damn, these look pretty awful. I wouldn't say that MBreinin's fits are perfect, but he is certainly more well put together than this. I don't think I can pull one positive stylistic element out of these photos.

Ah well, all this discussion is moot. Reevolving is only going to post a response once he figures out how to dress, which could potentially never happen.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
Damn, these look pretty awful. I wouldn't say that MBreinin's fits are perfect, but he is certainly more well put together than this. I don't think I can pull one positive stylistic element out of these photos.

Ah well, all this discussion is moot. Reevolving is only going to post a response once he figures out how to dress, which could potentially never happen.

Well, plus MB's photography game is also way up!

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I "forfeit" you are just cheating yourself.
What the hell does that even mean?

And yes, this is the fruitiest thing I have ever done. By far.
No way! So far, this is your high point ...

rszqkz.jpg

and it's probably still too early to retire the trophy.

Originally Posted by MBreinin
This is me, I can't change it. Idon't know what to do to make myself look less robust.
Don't get me wrong, Mike: It's good to be broad-shouldered and robust. Still, it seems as if letting out the mid-section just a little would make you appear less top-heavy. Then again, you've been at this a while so you've probably already tried that, right?

Luckily, it has never hampered me with the ladies.
smile.gif

It's settled then. Leave well enough alone.
laugh.gif

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, Mike: It's good to be broad-shouldered and robust. Still, it seems as if letting out the mid-section just a little would make you appear less top-heavy. Then again, you've been at this a while so you've probably already tried that, right?

Well, some of these are seriously suppressed. Some aren't. I favor waist suppression, since I don't want to look like a block. I guess it is a fine line to dance.

I have had some let out, and even some taken in. But, at the end of the day, I would rather look a little top heavy, than just heavy.

Mike

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is hedfuck material.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Well, some of these are seriously suppressed. Some aren't. I favor waist suppression, since I don't want to look like a block. I guess it is a fine line to dance.

I have had some let out, and even some taken in. But, at the end of the day, I would rather look a little top heavy, than just heavy.

Mike

mike,

while there is a fair amount of variation in your jackets, they do overall seem to me to not be cut to most flattering effect. you have broad shoulders - but as you have pointed out, they don't slope at all; and you also have fairly generous hips. so when you apply a lot of waist suppression, you end up with a very angular, slightly exaggerated hour-glassy silhouette that i'm not sure is doing you a lot of favors.

the top-heavy effect may also be due to the fact that you appear to have normal (vs. really built up) legs, and your jackets all run an inch or two too long for your build (more noticeable on a couple, like the pinstripe DB, but generally true). coupled with the significant waist suppression, this leads to a skirt that flares out and gives you a look that is both top-heavy and hip-heavy.

if i were you, i'd have the jackets cut an inch or two shorter, ease up a bit on the waist suppression, and consider sizing down overall in the jackets (i could be wrong on the last one, but there does seem to be a lot of material in the chest in several.) also consider having the jacket shaped more holistically than just nipping it in at the sides directly at the waist; have your tailor work more around the armhole, play with the darts, etc - rather than just attacking the waist, which is easy but throws off proportion. you'll end up with less of an exaggerated "T" look.

cheers.

someotherstyle

Reaction score

Mike

Mike,

I honostly feel if you gave yourself more room through the front you would look trimmer and less "blocky" than you do now. The problem when the buttons strain the way they do now is that it looks like you're a "big guy" trying to fit into a "skinny suit". You're not the only person that this happens to as well. I'm in no way knocking you or your style either - I think you're a good dude. But maybe try one jacket, let it out through the front until there is no pull on the button, and post it up for comparison. I really do think it would help.

Anyways,
thumbs-up.gif
to being a good sport about all this.

Mike

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by --Jonas--
I don't think I would enter a contest in which the crowd of judges loudly applaudes the other contestant...

But look at the context. We're talking about a guy who has the ability to elicit irritation the likes of which can only be seen in Sunni-Shia relations.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
This is how we're working out our abandonment issues, Otto. Never leave us again.

well, TB, honestly, i was finding that the more i fed the beast, the more it needed to be fed... so i decided to go cold turkey for a couple of months.

i can say with pride, however, that the addiction is contained. i'm still at an average of only 3 posts a day, i don't (and never have) check SF from my iPhone, i have never subscribed to a thread, and i have never posted outside of MC since that's where the funniest, cleverest, and craziest dudes are
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads