• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The car appreciation thread

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We seem to have lots of threads about individual cars, but how about one for general appreciation of all marques and models? Pics, videos, stories, whatever are welcome.

Here are a few videos to start this off:

24 Hours in 19500 Frames - a condensed documentary of the 2010 24-hour race at the Nurburgring. This may have won a couple of awards, and has been in some film festivals.

Testing for the 24-hour Ring race - a test film for the film above. Looks at the team that ultimately won the 24-hour race.

Ferrari F40 - a pr0ny look at the F40 in a rare midnight blue color.

VLN Endurance race at the Ring - follows Chris Harris and his Porsche team at an endurance race at the Ring

These 4 films are all produced by the same team, and shows what kind of remarkable work is being turned out by people armed with no more than 1 or 2 DSLRs, and a couple of lenses.

--Andre

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of my faves...
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice stuff. The F40 looks good but strange in blue.

I might be able to get some rare classic car videos. Stuff with Duesenbergs, Talbot Lagos and Delahayes. But probably no race car stuff though.

Stuff like this

Talbot-Lago-T150C-SS-Figoni-and-Falaschi-Teardrop-Coupe_18.jpg

PsycoticClown

Reaction score
Some of my favorites right now:

R-5

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
1984 Plymouth Voyager

Before '84, wood was just the **** that sailboats and grandfather clocks were made of. Its uses were considered exhausted. The critics declared "Wood is DEAD." But then Chrysler escaped the shackles of mankind's imagination. They said "No. Wood isn't DEAD. Wood is an IDEA. Wood is an ATTITUDE. Wood is IMMORTAL. Watch us wallpaper a ******* van with it." And like that, in the most ironic technological breakthrough ever, Chrysler scaled to the summit of Post-Modernism. In rear-wheel drive.

The game changed forever in '84.

835914_f520.jpg

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
1984 Plymouth Voyager

Before '84, wood was just the **** that sailboats and grandfather clocks were made of. Its uses were considered exhausted. The critics declared "Wood is DEAD." But then Chrysler escaped the shackles of mankind's imagination. They said "No. Wood isn't DEAD. Wood is an IDEA. Wood is an ATTITUDE. Wood is IMMORTAL. Watch us wallpaper a ******* van with it." And like that, in the most ironic technological breakthrough ever, Chrysler scaled to the summit of Post-Modernism. In rear-wheel drive.

835914_f520.jpg

rotflmao.gif

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ already a lengthy discussion of the 1M...

However I think it looks pretty good compared to the base 1. The orange is flattering. I have a feeling I'd be a little cramped in that cockpit though...
frown.gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a regular 135 on the street today, and really noticed its cab-backwards design: it looks like it has a really long front end with the driver seated back really far, which is a bit more exaggerated by its really tall, vertical snout. I wonder how that will change with the 1M's new bodywork.

BTW, here's a pretty interesting audio interview with the US M manager, Matt Russell:

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2011/01/11...-matt-russell/

It sounds like BMW's really made an earnest effort to make this car the best it can be (unlike, for example, the half-assed Cayman R). I am disappointed that nothing has been done to the engine with respect to its own cooling. Perhaps the new bodywork will send more cool air its way, but the cooling systems of the engine itself seem to be the same as before.

--Andre

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
1984 Plymouth Voyager

I wouldn't knock that car, it has crazy amounts of potential for a sleeper car

http://www.turbovan.net/van.html

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y

Ferrari F40 - a pr0ny look at the F40 in a rare midnight blue color.

--Andre

now THAT's what a Ferrari should be. though it should be rosso corsa. I've been in one a handful of times and it seriously feels like you're going 100mph in the parking lot.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I certainly appreciate cars. At their best, they are moving sculptures.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads