• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Architecture Thread

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Didn't mean to hate on you if it came across that way. I just really despise that building.

poppies

Reaction score
It's cool, but have you worked there or something?

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like this room in that library:
1941317037_seattle-central-library-.jpg

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poppies
It's cool, but have you worked there or something?
Just a patron for awhile, and I unfortunately live close to it.

Besides that I hate Koolhaas's style, here are my main complaints with this building in particular:
* It's difficult to get around in and find materials. They forgot to add in escalators going down on the upper floors and it feels like they could have used a layout from a dungeon in a Legend of Zelda video game. Good luck finding the stairs for the meeting floor (which is entirely all red).
* It's mostly empty space and is very cavernous. You can hear noise from many of the different floors at once. For a very big building there are a surprisingly low number of books inside.
* The stacks where most of the books are kept are just dumb. They threw out like a hundred years of good library practices for sake of their design.

On a lesser note, there is an art installation of videos of eyeballs and mouths projected on some spheres that you have to pass by when you go up the floors which creeps me out.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Bullshit, go actually try and work in there. It's a complete failure of a library. You'll need those architecture drawings to use as a map to find your way inside, btw.

I've never actually tried to use the library, but I took a tour of it and it seems laid out very well. My wife, who is a librarian, thought it was very well done. As the earlier poster said, signage was good, collections are organized in a thoughtful way, etc.

And I like the crazy design.

b

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Bullshit, go actually try and work in there. It's a complete failure of a library. You'll need those architecture drawings to use as a map to find your way inside, btw.

As someone who works part-time circulation in a library, I would hate having to move carts of books around in that place. Hopefully they have an abundance of elevators for staff use.

nathan

Reaction score
I think this is one of the coolest libraries around:

vancouverpubliclibraryvpe0.jpg

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To add to the above.

central-library-vancouver.jpg

Unfortunately I will have to go to my subpar library tomorrow for work and it will make me sad we can't have a cool library like Vancouver.

hypersonic

Reaction score
Oscar Niemeyer: staircase

2iixu7d.jpg

Minoru Yamasaki: World Trade Center
2gxgytd.jpg

David Chipperfield: Americas Cup Building
2b1rgo.jpg

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Brutalist house:

InternationalTo.jpg

I know that house well (Taivo Kapsi 1968 )...always loved it...great midtown location too (South Hill, near Casa Loma)

Inner city Toronto is a strange combo of tons of detached houses & highrises, that was booming during the late 50's through the 70's, when this style was popular. There's even a book out recently called "Concrete Toronto" that celebrates the beauty of raw concrete.

There's quite a bit of this style in the city. Houses using strict brutalist style is a little rare, because of the lack of windows. But raw concrete seems to be making a comeback.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my local favourites is Old City Hall in Toronto. It doesn't photograph very well, but it's a bit of a Richarsonian Romanesque masterpiece.

When they built New City Hall in the sixties, the original plan was to demolish Old City Hall. People complained and they found another use for it as a court building.

old_city-hall_sheraton_ts_02.jpg

Reborn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StylenotFashion
I've always felt "Falling Water" has been the benchmark for the modern house.

And to think that these were the costs:

Originally Posted by Fallingwater Wiki
At the time of its construction, the house cost a total of $155,000.[15] broken down as follows:[7] house $75,000, finishing and furnishing $22,000, guest house, garage and servants quarters $50,000, architect's fee $8,000. Accounting for inflation, this translates to about $2.3 million in 2007 dollars.[16]

Think about all the crap people would build for $2.3 million today. None of it is going to look that good 70 years from now.

I'm planning a trip to go see that as well as Kentuck Knob in the spring.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads