• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Architecture Thread

jkw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
^^^Wow

The second house is only £5.5! I was arguing with my father the other day about these, but even though you could buy some huge country places for the price of a 4 bedroom/4500sq.ft place here, the upkeep would be insane.

Of course you couldn't live in it without help. Just to maintain it, you'd need a cleaners and a gardener on a fairly regular basis. Repairs would be crippling. Heating too, plus it could get damp...

These places are being snapped up by the nouveau riche. All the old set can't afford to run them. Some lord from parliament sold so as not to burden the kids. "On a good year upkeep is £500,000. On a bad one, up to a million"
crazy.gif

Originally Posted by iammatt
Didn't even need to see the pictures. The concept itself is vomit inducing.

Revival...
frown.gif
Then of course, there really aren't that many old houses in the states are there? Even your oldest are newish by European standards. I prefer the older townhouses here as well as the even older country ones. I just don't see the point in fake old new builds. Modern houses are something else, but why bother with X "style"
baldy[1].gif
not in good taste IMO

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
The interior of this recently-built Greek Revival in the Hudson Valley will make Matt vomit.
crackup[1].gif

26450555.JPG

26450135.JPG

This house was on This Old House one day. But it's not old. It is like a oneupmanship in fakery. The 'theme' of the house is that 'originally, let's say a family lived here, and they built a small house. That's the far left wing. Then as they prospered, they built the big center section and turned the left wing into a kitchen. Blah blah blah.' Like all the houses on This Old House, it was ridiculously expensive for what it is.

I think the worst thing about it is the front door isn't placed in the center. I do like the big flat front lawn though.

At least the cinder block and unpainted sheetrock house in Idaho is unique and was probably reasonable to build. On Dwell (on Fine Living) they showed a home in Napa which was basically constructed like an industrial building (flat concerete floor, metal building like a commercial garage). Then, the homeowners had most of the interior walls built with casters under them, so they could rearrange the walls like most people rearrange furniture.

I just want a porte cochere.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Great house. Why did she ******* up with all of that garbage furniture.

+2. After building it, she probably had to wait for Ikea to have a clearance sale to fill that house up. But I do like that long table.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
76.jpg

The gothic villa Strawberry Hill in London. Built by Horace Walpole the son of Robert Walpole Britain's first Prime Minister, completed in 1776. Pre dated the Victorian gothic revival by several years.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some faves. and usual suspects:

Craig Ellwood / Hunt House
lomaxnc3.jpg

27210516546b71465ee0cy7.jpg

Neutra / Kauffman House
casakauffman04zw6.jpg

kaufmann15bwwho3.jpg

Neutra / Ohara House
oharaevk6.jpg

Spain has got some great new architecture
minimalisthousevw9.jpg

minimalisthouse2xg2.jpg

juniper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
76.jpg

The gothic villa Strawberry Hill in London. Built by Horace Walpole the son of Robert Walpole Britain's first Prime Minister, completed in 1776. Pre dated the Victorian gothic revival by several years.

Is there nice brick under all that horrid rendering?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The small Italian city of Gibellina was destroyed in an earthquake in 1968. A new city was built nearby called Gibellina Nuova-- surreal looking and vaguely decrepit.
gibel2.jpg
1572635.jpg
stella_gibellina.jpg
Oscar Niemeyer's unfinished International Fairground in Tripoli, Lebanon.
47b598f4285f9_nie-tri-012.jpg
nie-tri-006.jpg
nie-tri-015.jpg
nie-tri-013.jpg
nie-tri-009.jpg

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife and I spent our honeymoon in one of these houses:

6.jpg

cranccvr1.JPG

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is the island of Anguilla (British West Indies) in the Caribbean.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads