• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Anderson & Sheppard Expatriates Thread

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

As do mine. I have heard them referred to as "cuts." I once tried to have excess chest fabric removed through these cuts. It didn't work out too well.

Because cuts are used to create excess cloth at the chest.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I guess they weren't made recently then.

I believe RSS had some recent stuff made by A&S after a hiatus.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if these are based on his existing patterns there. This would have been drawn up by the previous regime even if updated and cut by the current.

Up through the eighties, there were several senior cutters. Each had his variations on the A&S style. One cutter, for example, was thought to be more successful with big dudes. Another did stuff that was more shapely. Each might have used sidebodies or not as well, fish cuts or cuts to the arm, or front darts or not.

It's not only the overall cut, derived from the London drape cut, that distinguishes A&S from most of the other SR makers...there's also a lot that comes from their approach to sewing and actual make-up of the clothes themselves (e.g., the canvas.)

If you remove one brick, I don't think the walls fall. Several bricks, though, might be another matter.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if these are based on his existing patterns there. This would have been drawn up by the previous regime even if updated and cut by the current.
Up through the eighties, there were several senior cutters. Each had his variations on the A&S style. One cutter, for example, was thought to be more successful with big dudes. Another did stuff that was more shapely. Each might have used sidebodies or not as well, fish cuts or cuts to the arm, or front darts or not.
It's not only the overall cut, derived from the London drape cut, that distinguishes A&S from most of the other SR makers...there's also a lot that comes from their approach to sewing and actual make-up of the clothes themselves (e.g., the canvas.)
If you remove one brick, I don't think the walls fall. Several bricks, though, might be another matter.

I wonder what you would end up with if you asked A&S for a suit that looked like they used to cut in the mid-1940's. I wonder what you would end up with. Could they do it?

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I wonder what you would end up with if you asked A&S for a suit that looked like they used to cut in the mid-1940's. I wonder what you would end up with. Could they do it?

Did you see those photos A&S and Poole fitting and workroom photos from the mid 40s that I put up elsewhere?

I don't know if they could or even if they should. Why do you ask?

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Did you see those photos A&S and Poole fitting and workroom photos from the mid 40s that I put up elsewhere?
I don't know if they could or even if they should. Why do you ask?

I did see those. They are great. I am just curious how not how style has evolved, but A&S's reaction to it. I just wonder if some of those roots are forever gone, and what is in the future for them in terms of the silhouette. The apprentices, are they learning the history before learning what is done today?

Picasso could do this:
17.jpg

But he chose to do this:
picasso_portrait_femme_lf.JPG

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I do think that there was a significant narrowing of continuity at A&S when the first wave of expats left.

All this is rehashed elsewhere. I'm not sure that it's worth re-rehashing.

It's moot anyway. A&S today is A&S today. You either like it or not.

For the time being, there are alternatives (as documented in this thread.) If you are wanting something from the old cutting crew, there are only three guys left, one of whom Manton keeps secret. None of the three are at A&S.

So, there you have it.

There's little point in being religious about it.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Up through the eighties, there were several senior cutters. Each had his variations on the A&S style. One cutter, for example, was thought to be more successful with big dudes. Another did stuff that was more shapely.
I left there in the early 90s but went back in 2006 for a brief spell. And yes, the pattern used was the one drawn by Colin Harvey in the late 70s. However, I had it adapted from a two-button closure to a one-button ... not exactly a big change. That said, upon my 'return' I found A&S much more willing to 'experiment.' Ultimately I decided that it was no longer for me.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Edwin was Colin's undercutter for a few weeks when Edwin came over from Nutters. Your old cutter had a keen eye, and gave Edwin an elaborate test. After the test, Edwin was promoted to being a cutter himself.
The last piece made for me in the 90s was a dinner coat with matching trousers and a waistcoat. It was begun after Mr. Harvey's departure. The reference in the pocket begins with a letter 'E.' Edwin, perhaps? I've always been very fond of that particular piece (all three pieces of it).

I've just looked at a photo of Edwin and he looks familiar. I'm sure I met him at A&S once or twice.

Last edited:

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do think that there was a significant narrowing of continuity at A&S when the first wave of expats left.
All this is rehashed elsewhere. I'm not sure that it's worth re-rehashing.
It's moot anyway. A&S today is A&S today. You either like it or not.
For the time being, there are alternatives (as documented in this thread.) If you are wanting something from the old cutting crew, there are only three guys left, one of whom Manton keeps secret. None of the three are at A&S.
So, there you have it.
There's little point in being religious about it.

+100 - what Vox said.

It always amazes me when people criticize A&S for not 'being what they were', as if they were around to experience their romanticized notion of the grand ol' days of Andersons.

Fwiw, I am a current customer of A&S - I'm not sure how true they are to their heritage, but they have made some of my very best suits - markedly better than those made for me by Huntsman and Kilgour. And they continue to be very soft with a subtle amount of drape - the 2 hallmarks of the Anderson cut.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads