• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Anderson & Sheppard Expatriates Thread

rs232

Reaction score
Not only that, look at the shape of it at the scye!

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've seen them and they are exceptional. LL tweeds and flannels are really good. I was in Canada this week and it dropped down to 18 degrees, you could use some of those LL tweeds and flannels.

Thanks! Glad you liked them. I heard your fitting went well.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, kind of, yes. That dart shouldn't reach the armhole, it should terminate if I am not mistaken. Well traditionally anyway.

Not necessarily; I have seen some drafts where the under-arm dart terminates before reaching the arm-hole but it can often go all the way. Then, of course, it is whether the other end of this dart is extended right to the hem of the coat which determines whether there is a separate side-body or not. It looks like it might actually stop at the pocket line (where the ruler is placed) rather than extending the hem, his fingers are covering where it would go so its hard to be sure.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Not necessarily; I have seen some drafts where the under-arm dart terminates before reaching the arm-hole but it can often go all the way. Then, of course, it is whether the other end of this dart is extended right to the hem of the coat which determines whether there is a separate side-body or not. It looks like it might actually stop at the pocket line (where the ruler is placed) rather than extending the hem, his fingers are covering where it would go so its hard to be sure.

Sidebody or not, I was under the impression that a true drape cut was the terminating dart. I don't think it can be called a sidebody with a terminating dart. If a dart doesn't terminate it is just a seam.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nerds.jpg

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sidebody or not, I was under the impression that a true drape cut was the terminating dart. I don't think it can be called a sidebody with a terminating dart. If a dart doesn't terminate it is just a seam.

Which end of the dart are we talking about? Only one end of the dart has to terminate for it to be a dart (rather than a seam). Usually the top end goes right into the arm-scye, it is the bottom end which either terminates at the pocket for a normal under-arm dart (no side-body) or carries onto the hem to become the side-body seam.

Your prevous post said it "shouldn't reach the armhole", which suggests that you're talking about the top end of the dart?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Which end of the dart are we talking about? Only one end of the dart has to terminate for it to be a dart (rather than a seam). Usually the top end goes right into the arm-scye, it is the bottom end which either terminates at the pocket for a normal under-arm dart (no side-body) or carries onto the hem to become the side-body seam.
Your prevous post said it "shouldn't reach the armhole", which suggests that you're talking about the top end of the dart?

That's correct.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's correct.

Ah, well I don't really know about the drape cut in particular; it does look like in a drape cut the dart can be terminated short of the scye, as you have described, though I'm not sure that it's necessarily required in all instances:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This shows how to adjust a standard type fitting pattern to drape jacket. Have only seen the under arm dart moved forward and ending before reaching the armhole done by English cutters. If Italians employ this method, I haven't encountered it. If you notice the waist line is moved down quite a bit as is the lower pocket. Chest is made wider by extending out the neck point and at the armhole. Thanks for posting.
Do you know what era or decade the Whyfe system is from?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads