• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

what policy enactment specifically are you concerned with, under either clinton or obama, that lead to either collapse ?

I am personally of the opinion the macro economy does not happen in discrete units such as that of a presidential term so I personally do not ascribe the current state of the macro economy as the results of any one POTUS or Congress. This however is not an opinion shared by the majority of people applying labels to things and my question was concerning said labeling.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wow...I guess maybe monday wasn't the best time to fully fund and invest my 2016 IRA contribution.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

wow...I guess maybe monday wasn't the best time to fully fund and invest my 2016 IRA contribution.

In the long term it will be a good decision. I could say the same thing about the pile of S&P index I bought a week ago today if I judged my decision based on this week. This weekend we'll be logging into Mrs. Piob's new government 457, which defaulted to a money market when it was set up last month, and dropping all cash and future allocations to some more index funds.

Btw, government 457s kick major ass.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm cool as a cucumber right now, all things considered.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In the long term it will be a good decision. I could say the same thing about the pile of S&P index I bought a week ago today if I judged my decision based on this week. This weekend we'll be logging into Mrs. Piob's new government 457, which defaulted to a money market when it was set up last month, and dropping all cash and future allocations to some more index funds.

I need to marry a state or federal employee. Pension: check, 457: check, reasonable hours: check. If I can find a sexy native American woman federal employee, I'm in like Flynn.

Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score
He was actually fairly civilized yesterday imho compared to the lame 7th grade tattletale crap between Cruz and Rubio.

Also, failing to reign in China's currency manipulation falls on Clinton, Bush 43 and Obama imo.

I remember reading an Economist article around 2010 or so that quoted Goldman Sachs as saying how China was managing their currency well and their GDP would overtake the US between 2020-2025 and telling my Chinese American roomie that that will never happen with their currency policy. lulz.
shog[1].gif

How can we accuse the Chinese of currency manipulation when we do basically the same stuff - QE, 0% interest, etc.

brokencycle

Reaction score

My understanding is that it just eliminates an early withdrawal penalty. Is there any other advantage over 401k?

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How can we accuse the Chinese of currency manipulation when we do basically the same stuff - QE, 0% interest, etc.

I think we occupy a better side of the impossible trinity than China does.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In 10 years it won't matter whether you bought last week or this week. I have been buying on just about every down day and put about 2-3x more today at good prices than I had bought in the past month or two combined. Really happy with my decision to sit on the proceeds I received in November from my real estate sale. I'm primarily buying VTI which is down 15% from 52-week highs.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm still around 30% cash. May need to bite the bullet soon and add to my AAPL position.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been experimenting with my Roth IRA by putting in a small amount of VXX-- which has made the last month much less exciting. Down 25bp or so in 2016, and up 38bp today.

By itself VXX is so volatile that there might be a chance to scrape out a few extra nickels by keeping it as a fixed percentage of the account. That strategy would imply doing a little harvesting today.

Last edited:

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been experimenting with my Roth IRA by putting in a small amount of VXX-- which has made the last month much less exciting. Down 25bp or so in 2016, and up 38bp today.

By itself VXX is so volatile that there might be a chance to scrape out a few extra nickels by keeping it as a fixed percentage of the account. That strategy would imply doing a little harvesting today.
I woudln't advise that. VXX decreases in value over time due to contango.

Currently vix is in backwardization though, so holding VXX provides positive returns over time.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to marry a state or federal employee. Pension: check, 457: check, reasonable hours: check. If I can find a sexy native American woman federal employee, I'm in like Flynn.

Best to find a Latino and native American mix, ex veteran too. Great to be one of the top of the only three ethnity in America - latino, non-latino, and decline to specify.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads