• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wowza, 271k jobs vs 140k expected.

December rate hike here we ***!

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wowza, 271k jobs vs 140k expected.

December rate hike here we ***!
Potentially the reason for the negative market reaction today.

I have moved virtually all of my volatility investments from short term to mid term.

Also if anyone is in for a laugh: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/06/s...n-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=1

Same NYAG investigating VRX. At the end of the day this stuff drives me crazy, because my tax dollars go to pay for this. In Long Island I saw the local AG go after businesses she didn't like. When she was sued and lost the taxpayers were also on the hook for the settlement.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Facebook is not worth $33,000,000,000

Kind of funny to read now 5 years later when facebook is worth 10x that.

Well, the guy did create Ruby on Rails, so I'm sure he's an expert on valuations. People don't get that start-ups and early stage companies are always valued extremely high because it is all based on growth potential. If we based our valuations on current sales, we'd never see a new company again.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Facebook is not worth $33,000,000,000

Kind of funny to read now 5 years later when facebook is worth 10x that.

When facts change, opinion should change accordingly.

FB did almost went kaboom right after its IPO as it was in the midst or was struggling to transition it's platform to mobile.

TSLA had the same struggle right after its IPO, and then couple years out it was almost out of cash and almost had to strike a deal with GOOG, before it made through the tough times.

Not all companies made through these type of transitions.

TWTR for one is still in the midst of the transition.

brokencycle

Reaction score
When facts change, opinion should change accordingly.

FB did almost went kaboom right after its IPO as it was in the midst or was struggling to transition it's platform to mobile.

TSLA had the same struggle right after its IPO, and then couple years out it was almost out of cash and almost had to strike a deal with GOOG, before it made through the tough times.

Not all companies made through these type of transitions.

TWTR for one is still in the midst of the transition.

Well, that's why FB was valued so low then because there was a lot of risk. Obviously anyone who didn't think FB was going to make it would think $10B is overpriced, but anyone who thought it would make it would look at $10B as a good deal.

I actually still struggle to see how FB really continues to grow except through acquisition because I just don't see why advertisers continue to use such an ineffective platform.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, that's why FB was valued so low then because there was a lot of risk.  Obviously anyone who didn't think FB was going to make it would think $10B is overpriced, but anyone who thought it would make it would look at $10B as a good deal.

I actually still struggle to see how FB really continues to grow except through acquisition because I just don't see why advertisers continue to use such an ineffective platform.

Buy-side spend according to their ad budget. Platforms stuff **** down the channel and sometimes have robo clicks to boost impressions. Sell-side always taint how good their platform is.

When your boss breath down your neck asking for social media ad buying, you buy. Especially if you are one of those micro transaction or subscription companies.

Facebook is just trying to increase usage so they could have more impressions to sell.

IMO sponsored posts on forums, social media spam networks like buzzfeed, or blogging sites drives conversion better than impressions.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Buy-side spend according to their ad budget. Platforms stuff **** down the channel and sometimes have robo clicks to boost impressions. Sell-side always taint how good their platform is.

When your boss breath down your neck asking for social media ad buying, you buy. Especially if you are one of those micro transaction or subscription companies.

Facebook is just trying to increase usage so they could have more impressions to sell.

IMO sponsored posts on forums, social media spam networks like buzzfeed, or blogging sites drives conversion better than impressions.

I absolutely agree. I seem to remember that brands can start pages on Facebook for free, which yield greater conversation rates than ads. I don't know - I haven't paid any attention to an add on FB in years.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I absolutely agree. I seem to remember that brands can start pages on Facebook for free, which yield greater conversation rates than ads.  I don't know - I haven't paid any attention to an add on FB in years.

Those inline ads from the gaming companies and bonobos and the like are sure annoying. But nothing is worse than buzzfeed spam.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Those inline ads from the gaming companies and bonobos and the like are sure annoying. But nothing is worse than buzzfeed spam.

You'll never believe what Facebook did now! 18 lifehacks to improve your FB viewing experience #6 is literally insane!

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wonder what 2016 has in store for the markets.

2017 definitely feels like a recession year.

Dat looming bear
1f632.png

Last edited:

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
so... GLF just dropped. And SUNE is down pretty hard so far too.

MNKD also hit pretty hard.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so... GLF just dropped. And SUNE is down pretty hard so far too.

MNKD also hit pretty hard.
I am likely going to take the tax loss on GLF and move it into TDW once the shock wears off. GLF's results were far worse.

That said if you feel GLF will survive then it is cheaper than TDW relative to book value. I just don't like their lack of diversification in operations.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics