1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. RedLeg

RedLeg Well-Known Member

Im thinking about it purely from a numbers aspect.

Pre offer, he is holding 20% of a failing retailer, with a market value of his stake about a billion. If he were to liquidate, he would get even less than that. At the 28 per share, he buys himself out for 1.8 billion and he has only committed to putting a billion back in.

So, he walks away with 800mm cash and a billion in equity should he be able to turn it around. He gets to shit can the people who forced him out as a little bonus as well ha.

2. Slopho

Slopho Well-Known Member

So, I see that AAPL has decided to pull their "Genius" ads from the Olympics. The ones where there's an annoying kid telling you everything he can help you with regard AAPL products. I was talking to a co-worker just the other day about this, and how, at this tech message board he goes to the people there were up in arms about it. Calling it the dumbest thing ever and how this type of commercial would have never gotten green lit if Steve Jobs was still around. The slow decent continues.

3. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Yeah, was banned in general for a week, looks like I'm perma-banned from CE, guess they have something personal against me there *shrug

Still holding ACTC???

re: AMRN....waiting for catalysts this month...hope NCE is granted, just because the market seems to be demanding it, but really, NCE doesn't mean much with the '889 and '146 patents, if granted, would give protection until 2030.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  4. Slopho

Slopho Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about CE man I know it was a big part of your day. Yeah I'm still holding ACTC. In this market I'll make more money holding and waiting than I will trying to time a bunch of jumps. Not sure if you saw they've added glaucoma to their pipeline. It may take a bit longer than I originally anticipated, I'm not only hold, I added in the 7 cents range.

I know you're still with GLUU, you know ZNGA is going to about a buck then bounce back to maybe $3, but what a horrible stock. I knew it wouldn't last.

5. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

I bailed on GLUU (temporarily) right before the drop below 5, only to double up my AMRN position. When/if AMRN pops I plan to take profits and buy back more GLUU shares, so I'm actually hoping for a bit more weakness in that one.

Of course, knowing my luck, GLUU'll get bought before I'm able to buy back my shares heh.

No worries on CE, I'm sure they'll let me back in once they start missing my irreverent brand of humor.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  6. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

I agree, once they pay a dividend we'll see a nice positive movement. Frankl I'm shocked by how much of a sell off this stock sees when the market turns down.

Any Interest in spin offs? Got the IPO of Pfizer's animal health company and Kraft is spinning off it's grocery division both happening pretty soon.

7. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Yeah, those things were getting ridiculed pretty much everywhere.

I feel like number 1 reason those would never have happened with jobs is that they imply that you are going to need help doing something with your mac.

Jobs was super anal about making everything as intuitive and user-friendly as possible (like sticking to the 1-button mouse and 1-button iphone to force developers to make everything easy to find and not hide stuff in obscure menus). Old Apple would *never* suggest that you might need to ask for help in order to use one of their core iLife apps.

The geniuses are there as a bonus feature and are available to anyone who actually needs them (just like you could plug regular mouse and right-click would work just fine).

8. CYstyle

CYstyle Well-Known Member

nice

9. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Go Amarin! We get FDA approval, the stock tanks. Have a say nothing conference call, we are running....go figure.

10. djblisk

djblisk Well-Known Member

Seriously.

11. djblisk

I've been looking at GS or JPM for a while now and still haven't made a decision. I was going to pull the trigger when GS wast at around $98 a couple of weeks back, but didn't. Fuck.

12. crispeta

crispeta Well-Known Member

Mobile ad players are jumping today after MM (+28ish%) 2Q report yesterday. VELT is riding the wave (+7%) and reports also next week. This could be huge. And with could I don't mean could.

13. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

http://www.foxbusiness.com/news/2012/08/08/merck-places-cholesterol-drug-on-hold/

This is a possible reason for the strength yesterday....more buyout speculation. Honestly I'd rather it do nothing than jump (and then fall) on BS rumors and spec.

We have plenty of catalysts ahead, don't need to pump and rumormonger.

Granted, I don't think the NCE status *should* be a catalyst b/c of the 889 and 145 patents, but it will be I'm sure. We'll have news on that on or before 8/17

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11598407/1/amarins-patent-problems-fading-fast.html

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  14. djblisk

GLUU up more than 6% today.

15. RyanH

RyanH New Member

I dont think its ever too late to hop on the google bandwagon. With the beginning of their internet adventures, I only see the company going up. Only if i could afford those stocks haha

16. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I was actually thinking that google is probably looking close to an exit point for me.

Might be convinced to buy back in if it drops back to the 500s but it might be time to take my money and run

17. Dbear

Dbear Well-Known Member

anyone know when Goog is splitting? does it just happen randomly, or will we know..?

18. otc

otc Well-Known Member

It is sort of a non-issue really. If it happens, it will be announced plenty of time in advance. I doubt they plan to do it....

It might open up the stock a tiny bit to people who can't buy shares in multiples of $600 but those people account for so little volume that it won't make much difference.

19. Dbear

Dbear Well-Known Member

So when they announced it back like months ago, it was just a "we might split, sometime.."?

20. CYstyle

CYstyle Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree. I don't like what's in their pipeline. Adwords is still a money making machine, but it's plateauing. self driving cars is imo a money pit, and won't ever come to fruition. Google glass is another google project that is built by engineers for engineers. It's really only a matter of time before it misses estimates, drops and has no real catalysts to bring it back.

But then again I don't invest in tech much these days. There's so many great undervalued stocks, it's hard to make a case to risk money on many tech plays.