• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ yea, to beat expectation, but won't really have an upward effect on the price (my guess). I have this sinking feeling it will drop, even with good earnings.

Last edited:

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
volume has been complete **** for the last 3 hours. I thought my computer froze lol

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice to see AAPL making a solid comeback--basically slowly crept up all day.

Sort of indicates that the market saw the correction as a buying opportunity as opposed to foreshadowing of an epic drop that would make all the shorters happy.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ yea, to beat expectation, but won't really have an upward effect on the price (my guess).  I have this sinking feeling it will drop, even with good earnings.  

heh probably cause the super low earnings bar. It was set low in q4 of last year too. after a 60% runup, beating but a little or just meeting isn't enough. I understand BAC is streamlining things, but they are selling off pieces of the company left and right and getting their wealth managers and i bankers poached. I wonder how this will affect their earnings potential going forward

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They can still do business, they passed the stress test. I'm not super concerned about earnings, I want to see a worthwhile dividend by 2013 and the share price will come around. This company was a real pile last year and it was $15. It's a much better company and the share price doesn't really reflect that.

Everyone is wondering what the hell is taking so long IMO, WFC gets it, they boosted a dividend ASAP to a reasonable level. The have plenty of room to boost it still into the future.

Why sell GE? I have a bit now, I've been buying on dips since early 11. I think the stock will improve with the economy and i'm willing to give them a chance to do so. I think it's a mediocre company that can tun into a good company.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out if BAC is a good buy for about a month now. gunshy I guess.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have been trying to figure out if BAC is a good buy for about a month now. gunshy I guess.

I'd rather BAC not give a **** about the dividend and work on getting their house in order. They could have stressed a div during the stress test and what would it have gotten them?? Sell off all this other ****, Bank of America should start concentrating on...America. Its where the growth will be for the next 10 years.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They need too, eventually, in order to attract investors who will compare their stock to wells, USB, ect. Right now their stock offers enough upside that a dividend is not required in order to attract buyers. I think they will time it well, but I'd like to be paid in order to continue to hold shares f their stock for years.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Why sell GE? I have a bit now, I've been buying on dips since early 11. I think the stock will improve with the economy and i'm willing to give them a chance to do so. I think it's a mediocre company that can tun into a good company.

I asked myself that after I did it. There is no good reason to sell, I admit, other than my bet I will get in again at a lower level. I just wanted more cash at the moment. Until these 100 point swing days start to dissipate I am going to keep lightening up.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree that there are stocks I'd take over GE which has done nothing but hover between 17 and 20 since late 2010, but my reason for owning it is that I really feel they are making good changes to the company, and getting back to what they're good at. I also feel that America is due a manufacturing Renaissance .

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I agree that there are stocks I'd take over GE which has done nothing but hover between 17 and 20 since late 2010, but my reason for owning it is that I really feel they are making good changes to the company, and getting back to what they're good at. I also feel that America is due a manufacturing Renaissance .

I've done that before, I get tired of watching the stock trend sideways and, even knowing better is on the horizon, selling and then seeing the spike.

Of course, I've had the opposite happen and been rewarded. Watched MSFT do that in '03 - '05 at the $25 level, sold and made $ in other stocks and only recently did it finally break the $30 duck.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is certainly a possibility, and I've watched it bounce around while many of my other stocks have blown right past it while also paying a dividend at around the same level. But I see some opportunity there with the dividend, my understanding is that their financial side is still not paying a significant dividend. When that happens it's likely to improve the stock price.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That is certainly a possibility, and I've watched it bounce around while many of my other stocks have blown right past it while also paying a dividend at around the same level. But I see some opportunity there with the dividend, my understanding is that their financial side is still not paying a significant dividend. When that happens it's likely to improve the stock price.

I couldnt fault anyone holding it. Its a solid stock with great potential once that financial division starts to demonstrate its turnaround with earnings.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks like PM beat as did BAC. Looking forward to seeing what GE has for us tomorrow.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Looks like PM beat as did BAC. Looking forward to seeing what GE has for us tomorrow.

MS as well, seems to be the best beat of the banking earnings season so far...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads