1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Talioring

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mike, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

Hey guys. Recently I picked up a nice 4 season black suit at a thrift store in my area. I need to get the pants altered as the waist is an inch or 2 too big. I was wondering how much you would expect this to cost? I don't want to go in to a place and get them fixed and find out later I spent way too much for it. So just a general ballpack figure.

Also, anyone know any good tailors in the metro Detroit area, preferably in the Warren, Sterling Heights, Shelby area?

2. davei

davei Well-Known Member

It really depends on the tailor and the area, but the last time I had pants altered it cost me around $12 with tax. At my dry cleaner's it's $14.95. It's a fairly simple thing to do for an inch or so: pin the new waistline into place, remove the back belt loop and inside waistband facing, sew the new back seam, then put everything back together. If you're talking 2 inches, more work may be involved if the line of the pant is ruined by taking so much fabric in (i.e. butt may look saggy or too loose).