• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Takahiro Miyashita - Number (N)ine, The Soloist

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Takahiro Miyashita at the opening of his pop-up shop in NYC with Nepenthes, GroceryStore. All SoloIst e’erything (except the Margiela boots). (via)

S/s 2012 earth dye jacket

Last edited:

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Oh yeah I forgot to mention I went to Nepenthes Saturday afternoon to check it all out.

They have a TON of Miyashita stuff.

Let me try to remember it all..

the normal The Soloist collection, which they have a pretty limited selection of, maybe less than IF even. From what I can recall they did not have that exact jacket on the left, but neither did IF. They did have some slightly different pants than IF though

reconstructed jeans like he is wearing in the above photo - all cut and sewn back together vintage levis. They are cropped in length and maybe a bit of a boot cut, a slight flare below the knee as you can see in the picture.

raw levis jeans "for lefty's" with the coin pocket on the left side, and rear pockets moved outward a bit. or possibly just the left pocket moved outward?

reconstructed scarves made from vintage flannel shirts - patchwork with all raw seams.

Some weird messenger bag that was made from a coat that was originally made from military bags I think? Sort of a weird full-circle thing but it was funny because the hood was on the inside and functioned as a pocket within the bag.

The Soloist x Oliver Peoples glasses and sunglasses - these are really nice, and the sunglasses I haven't seen before. Hard to explain the details on these but I'll see if I can find some photos. $650 though :-/

The Soloist jewelry - various necklaces and stuff that can be seen in the lookbook.

The Soloist x Undercover tees - These are all one-offs with random vintage tees, typically sports ones I think with the front/center portion cut out and replaced with a varying UC graphic tee.

The Soloist x White Mountaineering utility aprons - I'm not sure if you guys have seen the WM aprons elsewhere but they're the same but with some exclusive patterns - one in blue tones and the other in cream

Beautiful The Soloist hats, with equally beautiful hat boxes.

Musician tees - these were pocket tees with large format graphics - photos of musicians that were taken by Miyashita, with misc other graphics around them, like song lyrics. Not my thing but maybe they would be ok if you were in a foreign country where English text on the shirt would look cool. Only one I saw was Beck but there are a bunch more. The novelty of the photos of the artists taken by him in their own homes is nice, but the shirts were really tacky looking I thought.

Some kind of plain graphics tees that was a series of 3 with a different profile of a man on each one, and their name. I'm not sure if they were philosophers or what, I'm not cultured enough.

Really weird boots for The Soloist line, hard for me to describe and a quick search turns up no photos.

I grabbed a copy of the lookbook though, which was on newsprint and rolled up and tied with a little string. I haven't opened it yet but I'll check it out tonight I guess.

Overall it's really beautiful stuff, but aside from the accessories it seems tough to wear without more of it. Even the guy at Nepenthes agreed, when I said I wasn't cool enough to wear it he said he felt the same way, and that you would need to buy all of it to look good. The glasses were so SO nice though, and the hats are really beautiful

Last edited:

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is great, thanks !

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I went to Nepenthes Saturday afternoon to check it all out.
From what I can recall they did not have that exact jacket on the left, but neither did IF.

I think that jacket is more than five grand, I imagine it's not the safest buy :D

Beautiful The Soloist hats, with equally beautiful hat boxes.

I've been close to bidding on one of those hats several times now, in the end I'll probably opt for a bucket hat instead (if I ever get one), hopefully it'll look slightly less goofy.

Really weird boots for The Soloist line, hard for me to describe and a quick search turns up no photos.

I remember last year boots were pretty weird

Overall it's really beautiful stuff, but aside from the accessories it seems tough to wear without more of it. Even the guy at Nepenthes agreed, when I said I wasn't cool enough to wear it he said he felt the same way, and that you would need to buy all of it to look good. The glasses were so SO nice though, and the hats are really beautiful

:confused:

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

This is great, thanks !
I think that jacket is more than five grand, I imagine it's not the safest buy :D
I've been close to bidding on one of those hats several times now, in the end I'll probably opt for a bucket hat instead (if I ever get one), hopefully it'll look slightly less goofy.
I remember last year boots were pretty weird

:confused:

Yeah there are a few similar jackets but none that are tan with the blue seams.

Regarding the hat... do itttt

Boots were pretty similar to the first pair you posted, but even weirder. I didn't pay much attention to them so I can't really describe it, sorry.

And I'm probably being overly dramatic and unfair about needing more of it, it's more that it just begs for more of the same. It's probably just me not being at the level, stylistically, to comprehend and repurpose it well enough :)

There were mainline The Soloist long tanks with like a cut and sewn raw seam layering at the bottom that were really cool. The regular pocket tees of course are pretty universal and have nice details of their own. I can see the jeans working with other Japanese hippie stuff for sure. There is one jacket though that is like this distressed super soft suede or nubuck or something that is dark brown, it's incredible. Would look good on it's own as well, as long as you weren't wearing it with raw denim and GATs or something. I'm almost expecting someone to pop in here with a shot of a celebrity wearing it. Definitely the standout piece in my eyes. I think it might be this jacket, but it has to be handled in person for sure. Sip let me know if you need a proxy :D

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No no no no , this is a very too dangerous offer !!! Besides, I really need to see this stuff in person to gauge the sizing.

re: styiling, off the top of my head seenmy, selectivebeef and epoc all do a great job with only a couple pieces/outfit

Last edited:

botfc

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed report tween_spirit. I really like the brand from a purely conceptual standpoint, but I can't see myself ever pulling it off (even if, unlike you said, geared head to toe in it). But yeah, this is the only brand I find interesting, once any functional aspect removed. Speaks to its uniqueness I guess.

Last edited:

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know shoreman posted the link but apparently it wasn't in this thread, I'm confused :paranoia:

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He actually created a new thread for the blog post and I think that's why nobody posted it here. But it's here now!

Also, I told tween he should write some pieces like that for the SF blog. :devil: I think he'd be good at it.

Last edited:

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

He actually created a new thread for the blog post and I think that's why nobody posted it here. But it's here now!
Also, I told tween he should write some pieces like that for the SF blog. :devil: I think he'd be good at it.

:hide:

Also, tween did they have the shorts when you went / did you happen to notice how much they were ? 

No shorts that I can remember, sorry. I would still email or call Nepenthes and IF though, they're both extremely helpful.

Last edited:

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Tween, been on the look out for those Soloist x Oliver Peoples sunglasses. Be expecting a PM if that offer to proxy extends to more than Sip san :D.

Did they have any of these ones?

Or is it a new collabo?

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ivwri, I would do just about anything for that first pair you posted, but I don't know where to find them. Nepenthes had a few styles, but none with the attachment for the front. One style they may have had is the last one, minus that attachment, but I'd have to check again to be sure. They had some styles with clear lenses and some with colored or darker lenses, and according to the guy at Nepenthes they are a super special 3-layer lens or something weird. Hard to explain in broken English I guess.

Jeffrey also had some glasses (no clothes), but once again without the attachment. I can't remember what those looked like but they may actually be the ones I'm thinking of in that last pic. I would be more than happy to proxy and can ask them if I can take photos of ones that are available, but if you're looking for a pair with the attachment I'm not sure if I can help.

I'm also thinking about going to the OP store and asking them if they know anything about the collaboration as well, but I won't hold my breath. Either way I'll keep you updated.

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks man.

And yeah, from what I understand, the pairs I posted with the attachment sold out almost immediately all over the place. The first pair in particular is one of the few real "grail" items I am looking for, they really look awesome.

The Soloist really fascinates me on a conceptual level, but the fact that the clothes supposedly fit small made me stop following the collections. Some great stuff in this thread though (subscribed!)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads